+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Security Threat Reported in FaceTime for Mac Beta

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Originally Posted by poseidon79 oh no! Someone is going to break into my house and not steal my computer... But use my facetime beta and change my itunes password! *runs
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by poseidon79 View Post
    oh no! Someone is going to break into my house and not steal my computer... But use my facetime beta and change my itunes password! *runs home to put extra locks on my doors*

edit: If you see someone on a mac in a coffee shop get up to get their latte refilled sneak over and change their password real quick!

This "security" concern is retarded.
    lol...

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KartRacer View Post
    ********. Anytime that a password can be changed without entering the old one first is a security threat, physical access required or not. Especially when it's a two second change and you have to have a credit card on file for an account to be created. Most people are too stupid to follow good security practices to begin with. Have you been a victim of ID theft? I can tell you, something this innocent doesn't seem like much, but there are some real assholes in the world. Doesn't take much to completely ruin someone financially. My Dad had his personal info stolen off a simple check and 5 years later is still suffering the consequences. Strangely enough, it was required he put certain info on that check and that's what caused it. Having something this easily found is a big deal.
    But think /critically/ of the logistics of this actually happening. That was the point of my rather sarcastic earlier post which people are taking entirely too seriously lol.

To the person who said a "friends house" is a shared environment. Are you really scared of a friend coming over and changing your iTunes password and then doing what... downloading stuff from iTunes on his devices with your $$? If that's the case that person is not a friend and you should hide ALL your valuables anytime he/she comes over! Again the idea of that is just ridiculous.

For the ultraparanoid people out there I would like a real world /believable/ instance where this would be an issue. Most security threats are from remote hackers.. this is something that must be done physically at your machine.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

Aldog18 (10-21-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    But think /critically/ of the logistics of this actually happening. That was the point of my rather sarcastic earlier post which people are taking entirely too seriously lol.

To the person who said a "friends house" is a shared environment. Are you really scared of a friend coming over and changing your iTunes password and then doing what... downloading stuff from iTunes on his devices with your $$? If that's the case that person is not a friend and you should hide ALL your valuables anytime he/she comes over! Again the idea of that is just ridiculous.

For the ultraparanoid people out there I would like a real world /believable/ instance where this would be an issue. Most security threats are from remote hackers.. this is something that must be done physically at your machine.
    True but say your machine is stolen. I have a password on things that contains info that could be dangerous. As soon as they do this, change the password in FaceTime, they have my credit card info. That simple. Which is required to have an iTunes account. They can do more dangerous things than buy crap off iTunes with it. It's a very small problem, but inexcusable. There isn't a program that I've ever seen that you could change a password without the old one on any computer I've ever touched. This should have never happened, beta or not. Especially for a system that boasts less security issues than it's competitors. And just because you're out at a friends place doesn't mean their siblings are your friends either. I've been stabbed in the back by a friends brother, just because they are your friends doesn't mean their housemates are and most of the time you don't know until it's too late.
    HK-Z™ on Game Center

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I like how the first ten posts were people letting us know this was a beta and this is what happens. Thanks for every one pointing that out.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Xenthis's Avatar
    Thanks

Ever thought of remote access?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I've been stabbed in the back by a friends brother, just because they are your friends doesn't mean their housemates are and most of the time you don't know until it's too late.
    WTF kind of people do you hang around with? Really, you should get some different friends.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dhamien For This Useful Post:

Aldog18 (10-21-2010), Poseidon79 (10-21-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    WTF kind of people do you hang around with? Really, you should get some different friends.
    Did you read what he said? He said his friends brother you POS!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to punjabi212 For This Useful Post:

sonupwr (10-21-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by punjabi212 View Post
    Did you read what he said? He said his friends brother you POS!
    Control your temper, kid. How exactly does that change anything? If someone's brother stabs you, it's time to find some different people to hang out with.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

True but say your machine is stolen. I have a password on things that contains info that could be dangerous. As soon as they do this, change the password in FaceTime, they have my credit card info. That simple. Which is required to have an iTunes account. They can do more dangerous things than buy crap off iTunes with it. It's a very small problem, but inexcusable. There isn't a program that I've ever seen that you could change a password without the old one on any computer I've ever touched. This should have never happened, beta or not. Especially for a system that boasts less security issues than it's competitors. And just because you're out at a friends place doesn't mean their siblings are your friends either. I've been stabbed in the back by a friends brother, just because they are your friends doesn't mean their housemates are and most of the time you don't know until it's too late.
    Your iTunes password doesn't mean they get your CC info.. When I look at my account info it just gives the last 4 numbers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    Control your temper, kid. How exactly does that change anything? If someone's brother stabs you, it's time to find some different people to hang out with.
    You said that he needed new friends. I was pointing out that it wasn't his friend that was an a-hole, but his brother. I think it's time for you to go jump on daddy's lap, ok lil boy?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to punjabi212 For This Useful Post:

sonupwr (10-21-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Is there going to be a windows version of facetime?

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thetoothfairy View Post
    Beta = room for improvement and flaws!
    Exactly. I think face time for Mac was a great idea
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

I come from a land down under (Australia)
    Thanks

Now I am super excited to get my mac!
    Like posted before I reckon that this "security threat" is stupid
    Can I play with madness?
    Follow me on twitter
    If you like what I say, hit the button, you know which one

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by punjabi212 View Post
    You said that he needed new friends. I was pointing out that it wasn't his friend that was an a-hole, but his brother. I think it's time for you to go jump on daddy's lap, ok lil boy?
    I think you're getting a bit too fired up here. Relax. Welcome to the Internet. Enjoy your stay.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dotFIVE View Post
    I think you're getting a bit too fired up here. Relax. Welcome to the Internet. Enjoy your stay.
    Too fired up? LMAO californians are weird...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sonupwr View Post
    Too fired up? LMAO californians are weird...
    You know it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

does my mac have to be jailbroken to use facetime on it?? please help im new to this..

Livin the iPhone Life JedixJarf's Avatar
    Thanks

That's no bug... It's a feature

Your Mac isn't jailed.....
    Last edited by JedixJarf; 10-22-2010 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post

Can I use your mac for a moment? I want to see what a mac is? I dont know nothing about that... Im a friendly guy, can I? By the way can you find me a cup of water please?

I can be your best friend, that dont means you know everything about me... (just an example) Im an angel.

You can be hacked in a lot of ways, remotely, just looking at your trash can, giving him a ride on your car, just talking to you in person or online, or even in your face. Be careful, I think you are an easy fishy. Not paranoid, welcome to the real world. Im a computer technician, if you need to fix your mac let me know, I can fix it for you. (just another example) Im a computer tech for real and you know how many mac clients I got in one year? Hopefuly I dont do those things. (just to open your mind, eyes and ears).
    Last edited by javiert30; 10-22-2010 at 02:22 AM.
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

The 20th Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seankamal View Post
    does my mac have to be jailbroken to use facetime on it?? please help im new to this..

FAIL!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay316 View Post
    Once you purchase a product surely its up to you if you put it in a blender or drive over it in a car, what right do Apple have to stop us abusing our stuff? thats like saying you can't slap your girlfriend, she's your girlfriend, you own her, you can do what you want to her lol

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gyngabread Man For This Useful Post:

Aldog18 (10-22-2010), jiniej (10-22-2010)