+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Mac Getting an App Store within 90 Days

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Apple fans who have felt that the Mac has been shoved to the back-burner for far too long must be elated at the announcements from today's "Back to Mac" event.
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Mac Getting an App Store within 90 Days

Apple fans who have felt that the Mac has been shoved to the back-burner for far too long must be elated at the announcements from today's "Back to Mac" event. In addition to everything from an iLife update to the preview of Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, the Mac was also granted its very own App Store, a development that is long overdue according to many.

"The Mac App Store is going to be really great for our users," said Apple chief Steve Jobs. "We don't want to wait for Lion. We're going to put it out on Snow Leopard, and will open within 90 days."

The new Mac App Store will be a standalone app, analogous to the look and feel of iTunes. As expected, the App Store is designed to enable users to download and install apps (free or for purchase) with "just one click." Comparable to the App Store for Apple's popular line of iDevices, the new Mac App Store will likely become a hot commodity for users as well as developers.

According to Steve Jobs, devs have a pretty sweet incentive to embrace the new App Store as they will similarly be allowed to keep a 70% chunk of revenue that comes through the new Mac-optimized digital storefront.

Green Apple
    Thanks

that's great new..but the more great new will be.....

CYDIA FOR MAC Can't wait for that...lol

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to myworld For This Useful Post:

Clatchy (10-20-2010), Snozberries (10-20-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Snozberries's Avatar
    Thanks

This does make me want to go spend $$ on a MBPro. Angry Birds on my 50' TV anyone!?! lol

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snozberries For This Useful Post:

myworld (10-20-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Angry Birds on MAC..wow..sound nice..

Does anybody have any information about restriction on App store for MAC? I know this is very fresh news still..but if anybody at this event at apple..and can find out about it..than that will be nice to know...
    Last edited by myworld; 10-20-2010 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Hmmm... this bags the question. With the upcoming Max OSX 10.7 Lion in combination with the Mac App Store, will Apple try to "jail" the Mac OS like the iOS?

In other words, will we be "forced" to use applications that have a certain "signature" to them otherwise you can't install it on your Mac?
    Don't live by other people's rules... Live by your OWN!!!
    Why settle for less if you can have sooo much more!!!

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Devilish4eveR For This Useful Post:

Kyle Matthews (10-20-2010), Maarten16 (10-20-2010), myworld (10-20-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Devilish4eveR View Post
    Hmmm... this bags the question. With the upcoming Max OSX 10.7 Lion in combination with the Mac App Store, will Apple try to "jail" the Mac OS like the iOS?

In other words, will we be "forced" to use applications that have a certain "signature" to them otherwise you can't install it on your Mac?
    I have the same question...I am worried too if apple do that..

Livin the iPhone Life billchase2's Avatar
    Thanks

I think this will be pretty cool. An easy, new way to get Mac software. Plus, it's one step closer to a single operating system... (not sure if that's a good or bad thing)
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

iPhone? More like MyPhone CaptBojank's Avatar
    Thanks

No. Jobs specifically said during the presentation that this won't be the only way to get apps, it's just another way.
    --= Fortes fortuna adiuvat =--

12. The Following User Says Thank You to CaptBojank For This Useful Post:

MeRyanSch (10-20-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Green Apple
    Thanks

this will probably open many doors..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CaptBojank View Post
    No. Jobs specifically said during the presentation that this won't be the only way to get apps, it's just another way.
    I sure hope that he's telling the truth! Otherwise many will leave apple.
    Don't live by other people's rules... Live by your OWN!!!
    Why settle for less if you can have sooo much more!!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Apple won't wait for Lion to bring the Mac App Store to the masses, as the software download destination is set to arrive on the current version of Mac OS X, Snow Leopard, in the next three months.

The App Store will allow users to download and install applications with just one click, like on the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad. Developers will also be able to take a 70 percent cut of sales through the digital storefront, while Apple keeps 30 percent.

Like on iOS devices, software will be remotely hosted by Apple. But once applications are installed, they will run locally, like traditional software.

In both Lion and Snow Leopard, users will not be tied to the App Store for new software. Jobs said that the App Store will simply be an option for both developers and users, suggesting Mac OS X will not become a "walled garden" like iOS.

Thanks

Wow. Full of awesomeness. Other than googling for Open source or shareware, not too many outlets for Macware. An AppStore is an instant win as the user base and marketshare continue to grow. It simplifies where to go to get macware and I for one would be sure to use if the price is right.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Antman217's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by quidam_brujah View Post
    Wow. Full of awesomeness. Other than googling for Open source or shareware, not too many outlets for Macware. An AppStore is an instant win as the user base and marketshare continue to grow. It simplifies where to go to get macware and I for one would be sure to use if the price is right.
    Totally agree. It will be way easier to find just what I'm looking for and not have to google for Mac at the end of everything. And I bet there will be way better apps than the ones on the Internet because they will be specifically made for Mac! I'm kinda exited now!!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by myworld View Post
    that's great new..but the more great new will be.....

CYDIA FOR MAC Can't wait for that...lol
    Why? All indications are that this is simply an additional, simple and consolidated option for end users to easily obtain, install, manage and keep apps up to date. It allows devs more exposure and a streamlined distribution process. As far as a Mac cydia; projects like MacPorts, Fink, etc. Provide a portal to open source software for *nix systems. Other than that what purpose would a cydia like system serve? I guess a centralized spot for apple rejected software to be hosted with similar functionality could be nice. Just seems like an awful lot of work considering one could just download that software from the web....

My iPhone is a Part of Me klouud's Avatar
    Thanks

Maybe we will finally see a Napster app for Mac - that is the only reason I boot into windows

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,797 Times in 1,222 Posts

Right - this is what this story should have said. Cause this would suck.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

I say lock'er up

iPhone? More like MyPhone Eagleye's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple-noob
    WTF is Apple?

"HELP PLEAAAAASSSEEE!!!!! Could someone please help me? I accidently upgraded to Mac OSX 10.7.1 Lion and lost my jailbreak. When is the next jailbreak for mac coming out??! I DONT WATN to re-DOWNLOAD all mY APPS "

^ The future forums of modmyi.com
    Last edited by Eagleye; 10-20-2010 at 02:23 PM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Eagleye For This Useful Post:

myworld (10-20-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This is the worst thing that could happen to the macOs EVER, don't you guys realize this means total control over the app or program market?

Don't you realize that we are soon going to need to have a mac "jailbreak" to install unauthorized apps? You think apple is going to allow transmission, bittorent or other such programs to be on their "appstore"

There will be a total monopole and surveillance from apple of what the users have on their computers and what they are allowed to install on their macs.

Nothing could be worse ----