+ Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: FaceTime Comes Back to Mac

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snozberries View Post
    CUPERTINO, California—October 20, 2010—Apple® today announced the public beta of FaceTime® for Mac®...

Where did this "QUOTE" come from??
    1 of 4 press releases put out by Apple today over BusinessWire.

Apple - Press Info

Apple Reinvents Notebooks With New MacBook Air | Business Wire
    Apple Introduces iLife ?11 With Major Upgrades to iPhoto, iMovie and GarageBand | Business Wire
    Apple Gives Sneak Peek of Mac OS X Lion | Business Wire
    Apple Brings FaceTime to the Mac | Business Wire

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joe97 View Post
    Yes I can confirm it works on my JB'n iPhone 4 iOS 4.1 over 3G with My3G installed. First I initiated with the iMac-called phone # and it worked great, then I initiated again with the iPhone 4 through /contacts/ and it worked that way as well. I am impressed--
    I have a few questions then:

Are you using T-Mo or AT&T (or another supported/unsupported carrier)?
    If you are using an unsupported carrier, are you using Pushfix MiTime to enable FaceTime?

I'm thinking for me, this could be a problem since I'm testing this all on one Apple Network (eg NAT problem since they're both using the same port).

Does anyone know if you actually need MiTime on T-Mobile US now that 4.1 is out and jailbroken/unlocked to make FT work?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DoYouLikeLuxury? View Post
    I didn't think about this while watching the keynote but doesn't Macs have iChat? Couldn't they have somehow integrated FaceTime with iChat?
    exactly what I was thinking.....

Twitter: @tshoults

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by h2a View Post
    the reason there is no explanation is because Facetime is that easy. you need and internet connection and the email address or phone number of the person you are trying to have Facetime with. And then you click on their name and BOOM.

It's that easy.
    I click on my windows live messenger icon, click on the person I want to chat with, click on video and BOOM. It's that easy.

Seriously people are talking about facetime as if it = video chatting. All you need is a front facing cam the rest is really up to the service you are using to connect. Look at yahoo messenger on iPhone, you don't need to download facetime and it works on PC and other mobile devices. You need an email address anyway with facetime and yahoo works with almost all the other devices with a front facing cam and a yahoo email. Let's wait till windows live messenger and skype implement video chatting and facetime will be pretty much useless.
    Last edited by Christian Bale; 10-20-2010 at 04:58 PM.
    For **** sakes you mods are amateurs! Why are you trashing my scene!!! Seriously you and me we're done professionally.

Thanks

Christian while I do agree the point is that this is another thing you can do with 1 device, 1 email address while not having to dl any software as it.s preLoaded. To us it's no problem to get yahoo etc, but u try tellin that to a person who hates tech! I work for Panasonic and u b surprise how have to sign up, dl, log in, passwords etc etc puts people off trying something new. This will be big wether we like it or not and why? Cos even ur 70 year old grandma could work it!

Thanks

unless facetime becomes more universal, it will fail

if it does become universal, it can sweep the world

the fact is, in the future, there will be a standard way of video-chatting across the globe and across all devices. Whatever product works best, is fastest, and most widespread will prevail

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moon#pie View Post
    exactly what I was thinking.....
    I might just be speculating, but when they showed off Lion, next to the Safari icon was the current Facetime icon, which is where iChat is currently located. Maybe after beta testing it will be implemented into iChat?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

iPhone? More like MyPhone brbortscheller's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scroogelives View Post
    What about a windows version!! Most idevice users use windows not macs!!
    Nobody cares
    Just get a mac
    I'm pretty sure you can't prove what you've stated

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brbortscheller View Post
    Nobody cares
    Just get a mac
    thank you. a windows user in here who isn't being a d***

Twitter: @tshoults

Thanks

How many people just downloaded it..and first thing they did was call themselves on their iPhone 4...
    ::raises hand:: I'm guilty.

Thanks

Im Downloading, Going To Call Myself Now Just To Join The Party

Thanks

just called a friend from my iphone4, good quality over 3g. he was on his macbook pro

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TypeRBass View Post
    How many people just downloaded it..and first thing they did was call themselves on their iPhone 4...
    ::raises hand:: I'm guilty.
    LMFAO i would if i had a iphone 4!!!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Just had a 30 minute conversation and had no drop outs, audio or video. Audio and video were both good quality, it hangs on to a connection even when I'm far from my AirPort that's buried in my desk pretty deep, and my parents iMac is running through a ****** router through 1 floor of their house and over DSL. Overall I'm really really impressed. My favorite feature is when you rotate the phone the video matches the aspect ratio. Meaning in both portrait and landscape it fills the screen, no stretching. For a beta program this is pretty damn good.

Does 3GUnrestrictor work decent with this? I only have a MicroCell so I really can't test it, over that it was extreely choppy.

Quote Originally Posted by brbortscheller View Post
    Nobody cares
    Just get a mac
    I'm pretty sure that most people can't afford to drop money on a Mac simply for facetime. Don't be a jerk. I'd love to see this released for Windows, it'd be a stupid move not to with all the iPhone owners who don't own a Mac and would love to have this.

Quote Originally Posted by moon#pie View Post
    thank you. a windows user in here who isn't being a d***
    As opposed to the jerks shutting someone out of a feature simply because they don't have a Mac, and being dicks saying that they don't care and for telling someone to waste money on another computer? It's a good question whether or not it'll be released for Windows. After all, Apple did release the garbage that is Safari and iTunes to the Windows community. Why not this?
    Last edited by KartRacer; 10-20-2010 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Confirmed working on iPhone 4, jailbroken 4.1 with 3g Unrestrictor to my mac. There is some lag over 3g but it still looks good. Wifi = No lag.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to mgregor For This Useful Post:

KartRacer (10-20-2010)

Thanks

Honestly i dont understand what is so "Revolutionary" last time i checked there was a windows/mac programm called "Skype" which started video chatting. Now what would be cool news if we could use windows and connect to facetime users.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Good job apple now your swinging with the big players.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by goodluck4287 View Post
    I have a few questions then:

Are you using T-Mo or AT&T (or another supported/unsupported carrier)?
    If you are using an unsupported carrier, are you using Pushfix MiTime to enable FaceTime?

I'm thinking for me, this could be a problem since I'm testing this all on one Apple Network (eg NAT problem since they're both using the same port).

Does anyone know if you actually need MiTime on T-Mobile US now that 4.1 is out and jailbroken/unlocked to make FT work?
    Hi,
    You don't need mitime, in fact I dont think anybody with tmobile USA does.

I have a factory unlocked iphone running on 4.1, jailbroken with limera1n, ( got it last week ) and my girl has an unlocked and jb iphone 4 with T-mobile as well.

The right thing to activate facetime is to be able to send international texts. why? on her phone she had that and I just turned on the facetime and that was it, after a while it activated. facetime works just fine calling me (tmobile) and at&t friends as well.

In my iphone 4 I kept turning that on, just to get the " waiting for activation" , doing resets and stuff that did not work. I figure I have a flex account, so to send an international text, I have to refill that, which I did, then turned on facetime, and after 90 minutes I checked and facetime was activated... and 40 cents deducted from the balance. so that is all you need 2 international texts, no mitime, no hack, nothing else.

hope this helps
    Last edited by angelsinojos; 10-20-2010 at 11:52 PM.

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scroogelives View Post
    What about a windows version!! Most idevice users use windows not macs!!
    Maybe when you stop quoting the OP?
    If you want it, get a Mac.