Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Former Apple Chief Calls Being CEO a "Mistake"

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,482 Times in 568 Posts

Default Former Apple Chief Calls Being CEO a "Mistake"

While it's difficult to imagine anyone calling their decision to become CEO of one of the world's biggest companies a "big mistake," sometimes it happens. Case in point: former Apple Chief Executive Officer John Sculley, who at one time was instrumental in pushing out co-founder Steve Jobs in order to be the head cheese himself.

Now, in retrospect, Sculley says it was all a big mistake. According to Sculley, it was Jobs all along who should have been crowned king at Apple to serve as CEO. Initially, Sculley was drafted from Pepsi to Apple in 1983. Despite the record growth at Apple during the first portion of Sculley's tenure, he managed to shake things up tremendously by making a number of controversial decisions, like choosing to fire company co-founder Steve Jobs in 1985.

Ultimately, however, Sculley would lose his position as CEO after the company fell on hard times in the early 1990s.

Coming forward in a candid new interview, Sculley is opening up like never before and admitting some pretty startling revelations, not the least of which is that Apple brought him on board despite not knowing much of anything about computers. In the interview, the former Apple chief also admits that during his tenure, "all the design ideas were clearly Steve's. The one who should really be given credit for all that stuff while I was there is really Steve."

"My Apple experience is now ancient history and I have gone on with my life and Im not looking for any publicity or have any ax to grind, Sculley adds, who no longer has contact with Jobs but simply wants to set the record straight about his days at Apple.

CBS

Well he did come from a company that was nowhere near what he did there. I mean back then what could Pepsi have taugh him about a computer company. Being a CEO in general yes but whole new ballpark of ideas and products.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cer0 For This Useful Post:

coolguy742 (10-15-2010)

Wow Steve got fired in 1985 =.=

iPhone? More like MyPhone xerray's Avatar
    Thanks

woah...
    It Takes One To Know One

Quote Originally Posted by iD3nn1s View Post
    And he went on to create NeXT then get put back in Apple and then have Apple buy NeXT then have NeXT be the basis of OSX.

Where did Pixar come into play?

Ha I remember watching a documentary on this.
    Steve Jobs is a ledgen.
    He started a company, made it big, hired a guy from pepsi( I love pepsi), got fired, worked for a differant company, taught about 'Mac OS' got hired back at apple, applied 'MAC OS' and an iPod, now an iPhone and iPad.
    BOY, HE ISY IDOL!!!!!

He didn't work for another company he started another company. Well 2 companies along the way. NeXT and Pixar.

But by far my favorite CEO.
    Last edited by Cer0; 10-14-2010 at 07:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Funny_Monkey View Post
    Ha I remember watching a documentary on this.
    Steve Jobs is a ledgen.
    He started a company, made it big, hired a guy from pepsi( I love pepsi), got fired, worked for a differant company, taught about 'Mac OS' got hired back at apple, applied 'MAC OS' and an iPod, now an iPhone and iPad.
    BOY, HE ISY IDOL!!!!!
    Steve bought Pixar Animation Studios in 1986
    Pixar Animation Studios acquired by Disney in 2006
    Job joined board of director at Disney

Steve had hair? I though he was like that kid in Rugrats, never had hair

Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
    And he went on to create NeXT then get put back in Apple and then have Apple buy NeXT then have NeXT be the basis of OSX.

Where did Pixar come into play?
    Don't forget about Disney
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Anyone know why steve jobs got fired?

Quote Originally Posted by smsjrtato View Post
    Straight from the wiki's mouth.

While Jobs was a persuasive and charismatic director for Apple, some of his employees from that time had described him as an erratic and temperamental manager. An industry-wide sales slump towards the end of 1984 caused a deterioration in Jobs's working relationship with Sculley, and at the end of May 1985 following an internal power struggle and an announcement of significant layoffs Sculley relieved Jobs of his duties as head of the Macintosh division

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mohaas05 For This Useful Post:

APFDF (10-15-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    Don't forget about Disney
    He was in Pixar; which Disney bought. Which he still resides on the board of Disney.

Quote Originally Posted by smsjrtato View Post
    he was tearing that company apart with the 'Macintosh vs. Apple II' feud, Steve Woz left the company because of it. Has no one here watched 'Pirates of Silicon Valley'? or even researched Apple online?
    From the Fire We Shall Ascend

Great movie!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph_Prophet View Post
    he was tearing that company apart with the 'Macintosh vs. Apple II' feud, Steve Woz left the company because of it. Has no one here watched 'Pirates of Silicon Valley'? or even researched Apple online?
    I'm not sure about that, but I think Jobs and Sculley got into an argument and then Jobs got fired.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Quote Originally Posted by iD3nn1s View Post
    Smartest decision Apple ever made.
    "In computer networking, a Media Access Control address (MAC address) is a unique identifier assigned to most network adapters or network interface cards (NICs) by the manufacturer for identification, and used in the Media Access Control protocol sub-layer." (1)

"The Macintosh, or Mac, is a series of several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc." (2)

The history of this company is pretty awesome. They should make a movie about it and steve jobs. In the trailer jobs will be standing in front of Sculley. "The board has decided that the best for the company would be to let you go.(Voice gets kinda different) You are relieved of your duties as head of the Macintosh Division." Jobs stays there for a minute and then walks out looking at the Apple Logo at the front of the office, then leaves the premises.
    Username is 3GS, but theres stuff past that:

iPhone 4
    iPad
    Macbook Pro

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

whats apple? LMAO jp n wow !! Steve has came along way!!!

oh so thats where steve jobs got his shares in disney, he acuired pixar in 86' then disney bought them in 2006. 20 years after. Im still amazed that when steve was wrongly fired he basically worked for apple anyway, building osx in NeXT then acuiring them and using it in apple.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast