+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Mac OS X 10.7 Lion Sneak Peek Next Week

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Apple has gotten very predictable in how it schedules its rollouts, with new iPhones being released during the summer, new iPods and Macs in separate Fall events. And like clockwork,
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Mac OS X 10.7 Lion Sneak Peek Next Week

Apple has gotten very predictable in how it schedules its rollouts, with new iPhones being released during the summer, new iPods and Macs in separate Fall events. And like clockwork, Apple just announced it will hold a media event called "Back to the Mac" on October 20 to let us know "what's new for Mac," as well as "a sneak peek of the next major version of Mac OS X." Since the graphic for the event shows a lion peeking out from behind a tilted Apple logo, it's probably safe to assume that Mac OS X 10.7 will be known as Lion.

Not much is known about what might be announced for 10.7, which has been appearing with increasing frequency in web server logs over the past year. Rumors that 10.7 would require apps to be signed with an Apple root certificate - effectively 'jailing' Mac OS X and creating a desktop App Store - were denied by Steve Jobs. There has also been some buzz about a revolutionary new feature, "something that has never been done before and will truly amaze everyone," referred to in a job listing Apple posted a few months ago. Though the details about the change in the "very foundations" of Mac OS X were left vague in the listing, the software engineer Apple was searching for needed experience with Internet technologies and services, and especially "up close and personal experience with the HTTP protocol as well as other protocols layered atop it."

Of course, many observers will be looking to see if the long-rumored 11-inch MacBook Air shows any sign of actually being released. Fall is the traditional time for new Mac announcements, and the Air hasn't seen a refresh in over a year. The supposed "mini" Air, which is claimed to be manufactured by Quanta Computer and feature a 32nm Intel Core processor, has been talked about for months, and may well be announced next week… if it's not total vapor, that is.

The event will be held a week from today on Apple's Cupertino campus at One Infinite Loop.

Source: LoopInsight

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

CaryDude (10-13-2010), coolguy742 (10-13-2010), Rob2G (10-13-2010), Voodoo1 (10-14-2010)

Thanks

Interesting... I'm just looking into buying my 27" iMac (finally). This just makes me want one even more What is apple going to cook up next? Whatever it is... I know I'm looking forward to it
    Don't live by other people's rules... Live by your OWN!!!
    Why settle for less if you can have sooo much more!!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me lightmaster's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Acciavatti View Post
    Rumors that 10.7 would require apps to be signed with an Apple root certificate - effectively 'jailing' Mac OS X and creating a desktop App Store - were denied by Steve Jobs.
    If Apple decides to go that route with apps on a Mac, I will be the first in line to get a new PC and say goodbye to Apple.
    "In computer networking, a Media Access Control address (MAC address) is a unique identifier assigned to most network adapters or network interface cards (NICs) by the manufacturer for identification, and used in the Media Access Control protocol sub-layer." (1)

"The Macintosh, or Mac, is a series of several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc." (2)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lightmaster For This Useful Post:

Electrodaktylus (10-13-2010), manickbarry (10-14-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lightmaster View Post
    If Apple decides to go that route with apps on a Mac, I will be the first in line to get a new PC and say goodbye to Apple.
    Or do like many PC users do, and don't upgrade the OS!

I still prefer Windows XP over Vista or Win 7 any day.. Vista was nothing but a bloated piece of crap update.

And people wonder why Apple is doing so well. At least with Apple, the OS's get better, and Stable.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jaminmc View Post

I still prefer Windows XP over Vista or Win 7 any day.. Vista was nothing but a bloated piece of crap update.

And people wonder why Apple is doing so well. At least with Apple, the OS's get better, and Stable.
    Snow Leopard was a great upgrade as it actually created FREE SPACE on the HD. Also 10.5.8 is still great. However, I am on Dell Windows XP after all these years.

Formerly Known As rpgpromaster EddieLeonard's Avatar
    Thanks

can i has Lion and this "revolutionary new feature" please?
    Follow me on Twitter: EddieLeonard - - - - - - - -If i have helped in anyway at all, Please click the "Thanks!" button
    Stalk me on FaceBook: Eddie Leonard

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm using Windows 7 right now and I absolutely love it. If you're not using it then don't make any judgments. It's been very stable for me and I prefer the user interface of Windows 7 over a Mac any day. (yes, I have used plenty Mac computers. Also, I have an iphone which is why i read this forum)
    Last edited by johnwin; 10-13-2010 at 05:53 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to johnwin For This Useful Post:

Stefman_R (10-13-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

hello, where did you get that lion picture? I'd love one in high definition to put as wallpaper
    Thanks a lot

My iPhone is a Part of Me lightmaster's Avatar
    Thanks

Default MAC vs. Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by johnwin View Post
    I'm using Windows 7 right now and I absolutely love it. If you're not using it then don't make any judgments. It's been very stable for me and I prefer the user interface of Windows 7 over a MAC any day. (yes, I have used plenty MAC computers. Also, I have an iphone which is why i read this forum)
    "In computer networking, a Media Access Control address (MAC address) is a unique identifier assigned to most network adapters or network interface cards (NICs) by the manufacturer for identification, and used in the Media Access Control protocol sub-layer." (1)

"The Macintosh, or Mac, is a series of several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc." (2)

Big difference between MAC and Mac, you wouldn't be reading this online right now if your computer didn't have a MAC address.
    Last edited by lightmaster; 10-14-2010 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Sources

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lightmaster For This Useful Post:

CaryDude (10-13-2010), DisneyRicky (10-13-2010), manickbarry (10-14-2010), pedroinfante666 (10-14-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    "In computer networking, a Media Access Control address (MAC address) is a unique identifier assigned to most network adapters or network interface cards (NICs) by the manufacturer for identification, and used in the Media Access Control protocol sub-layer."

"The Macintosh, or Mac, is a series of several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc."

Big difference between MAC and Mac, you wouldn't be reading this online right now if your computer didn't have a MAC address.
    Uh. Thanks. Sorry about the slight mix up. I meant MACINTOSH. Definitely didn't mean to confuse anybody.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Whatever new stuff they introduce will be instantly put on my Xmas wish list i'm sure.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

moon#pie (10-13-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Then you're living in the past. Windows 7 is much faster, has alot of awesome features, and is extremely stable (so was the free RC). You're contradicting yourself with the last line. Vista was crap because hardware manufacturers didn't do what they needed to for drivers, it had some problems of it's own, but 7 is a MASSIVE improvement. You need to upgrade to 7, XP is nowhere near as good all around and it's easy to buy an upgrade version and use it as a full install. Only reason to stay on XP is laziness or just doing it to say you did.
    HK-Z on Game Center

/Library/MobileSubstrate/dontmesswiththis.dlyb
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KartRacer View Post
    Then you're living in the past. Windows 7 is much faster, has alot of awesome features, and is extremely stable (so was the free RC). You're contradicting yourself with the last line. Vista was crap because hardware manufacturers didn't do what they needed to for drivers, it had some problems of it's own, but 7 is a MASSIVE improvement. You need to upgrade to 7, XP is nowhere near as good all around and it's easy to buy an upgrade version and use it as a full install. Only reason to stay on XP is laziness or just doing it to say you did.
    OR switch to any Linux distro and same yourself some cash and headache.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to HappyMac For This Useful Post:

holygamer22 (10-13-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HappyMac View Post
    OR switch to any Linux distro and same yourself some cash and headache.
    I think youll earn yourself a headache when your Win and Mac programs arent working..... wait thats a part of linux.....
    Username is 3GS, but theres stuff past that:

iPhone 4
    iPad
    Macbook Pro

Thanks

Lion, who would of ever though that they'd pick a big cat to be in the name?
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Thanks

Apple would never do that and everyone knows why.

Now it would be cool to have an "appstore" for macs where you could easily find "apple approved" applications and have an easy payment method, but not be limited to choosing from them only.

Twitter: @tshoults

Thanks

I keeping my eye on you, Lion. I want to know the features and improvements over Snow Leopard.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Thanks

I bet its gonna be some BS like touch screen desktops which apple will say is "revolutionary" and "magical" lol. Too bad google was the one that bought bumptop the 3D desktop w/ widgets for pc and mac.

Naw its probably gonna actually be huge because people actual think *cough* windows 7 is a decent *sh*tty* OS and there was so much advertising. I think this would be a good time for cloud iTunes as well as a cloud based Time machine! (I want that so bad)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I'm guessing announce Mac OS X 10.7 next week, it's shown at WWDC '11, Again at WWDC '12 but with dev beta, and released a few months after that.

Most looking forward to a refresh & 64-bit iLife. Just upgraded my MacBook Pro to 8GB RAM, and I would use iMovie if it wasn't broken and horribly converted crisp clear HD video into washed out blocky garbage worse than VHS.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

The app store sucks, now why would i want one on my macbook? Ill take a cydia though.

Fish are friends, not food!
    Neither is Slow Internet.