+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Sold Out: Analyst Predicts 4M Apple TVs per Year

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
The new Apple TV, after having been available for only a week, is backordered on Apple's online store with delays of 1-2 weeks, and is sold out in many stores
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Sold Out: Analyst Predicts 4M Apple TVs per Year

The new Apple TV, after having been available for only a week, is backordered on Apple's online store with delays of 1-2 weeks, and is sold out in many stores across the US. Looking at these sales, an analyst with JMP Research is predicting a run rate of 4 million units sold per year, and saying the low price of $99 is "resonating with customers."

Eric Savitz writes on Barron's Tech Trader Daily blog that shortages in San Francisco primpter JMP Research analyst Alex Gauna to check on supplies throughout the US. "We subsequently learned," he wrote in a letter to his clients, "that stores across the nation were selling out of their inventory on the same day as receipt in Boston, Chicago, New York and Washington D.C." Contacts at online retailers, Gauna adds, corroborate these findings, indicating that there's a run on the devices nationwide. He estimates a quarterly pace of "at least one-quarter to one-third that of the iPad, or in the range of a million units or more," which would add up to 4 million a year.

Gauna attributes much of the success to Apple's low price point. Though at $99, the Apple TV is far cheaper than any other A4-chip equipped device, the margin as a percentage of the total is low. The manufacturing analysis firm iSuppli took a look at the components identified in iFixit's teardown and determined that it cost about $64 to make. The 16 GB iPhone 4, by comparison, costs $187 and retails for $499.

Despite the run on Apple TVs in the US, there are reportedly still some available at Apple Stores in Canada. Apparently, this is due to limited non-US content for the device.

Source: MacRumors
    Last edited by Paul Daniel Ash; 10-07-2010 at 01:46 PM.

Thanks

Is it wrong that I want one just because I can't get one now?
    The relatively low price is what makes me willing to try one out.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Hmm... That is very surprising to me considering it doesn't have an AppStore. I can only see the appeal if it had a AppStore of some kind (cydia included) but without that it doesn't seem worth it to me. I apparently way underestimate the power of an Apple brand on a device.

Does anyone know if I can output HD with a component cable hooked up to my iPhone using TVOut?

iPhone? More like MyPhone maddawg05's Avatar
    Thanks

I am going to open a new line and sign a two-contract to get one, then sell it. Ooops...I thought it was an IP4.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
    Is it wrong that I want one just because I can't get one now?
    The relatively low price is what makes me willing to try one out.
    haha i feel the same exact way

My iPhone is a Part of Me Rob2G's Avatar
    Thanks

I have one, I prefer my PS3 for media streaming. Im Putting mine on ebay.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I have submitted 4 bugs to apple so far. That was in the first 12 hours of playing with it. It is in desperate needs of some updates already. Basic things like shows being marked as watched after watching them doesn't happen, holding the center button on a show to mark it as watched crashes and reboots the TV etc.... So to all you waiting to buy one, it's a great product, but by the time you get it, it will be even better.
    MacMini Server 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 15" MacBook Pro 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo l iPhone 3G S⃣ 32 GB Black l  TV Gen 2

Thanks

OMG. 4M? I asked in another thread why I would want this and that thread turned into a discussion about HDMI cables. I still want to know why I would want this.

If you have a cable DVR, which most do, and you have a current game platform, which again most do, what does this do that those don't?

AFAICT ppl are buying this because it's Apple, new and under $100. What am I missing?
    If I don't get one I'm goingnto have to re-evaluate myself as having become a total Appleslut.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by quidam_brujah View Post
    If you have a cable DVR, which most do, and you have a current game platform, which again most do, what does this do that those don't?
    For myself personally, and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one, I use iTunes to maintain my media library since I sync my music, movies and TV shows with my iPhone. Since i don't want to have my computer running in my living room next to my TV, the AppleTV allows me to have access all my music, movies, TV Shows and Pictures in my living room while maintaining it's storage location on my main computer.

Also, if I want background music it works for streaming music from my computer over WiFi to my amp without needing anything additional in my living room while again, keeping all my media centralized.

This also allows room to expand by adding additional devices while still controlling all content in a central location.

Oh and what game system (if all you use it for is streaming content) sells for $99?
    Last edited by jvoni; 10-07-2010 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    MacMini Server 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 15" MacBook Pro 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo l iPhone 3G S⃣ 32 GB Black l  TV Gen 2

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

So what the hell does this Apple TV do again that makes it so bust-a-nut worthy!?

** Edit **....nevermind. Just saw the post above.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Oh and not to mention AirPlay and being able to control it all from an iPhone / iPod Touch / iPad through Remote.app thus allowing for multiple sound zones like an expensive amp / home automation system, but all with the user friendliness Apple provides.

Yay! Your PVR lets you record TV (commercials and all) and play it back on one TV. But a TV show bought in iTunes (or imported into iTunes with tools) and now your shows are available on all iDevices and all TVs you setup... how much is it to add a PVR to an additional room? Compared to the cost of adding an additional AppleTV?

I really think they've hit the market right.... granted it isn't complete, but in this price range, they've hit it smart and in time for the holidays.
    Last edited by jvoni; 10-07-2010 at 07:15 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone romeo_herman's Avatar
    Thanks

Ha...ha....ha...4M...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_D-9YULDRM]YouTube - Google TV.[/ame]
    Last edited by romeo_herman; 10-07-2010 at 08:05 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to romeo_herman For This Useful Post:

juggz143 (10-08-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone sucram6791's Avatar
    Thanks

i feel like google tv will sell more than 4milli every year

Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 888 Posts

First Google device will be 300$. So that may hurt a tiny bit. But we will only see what it holds.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by romeo_herman View Post
    Ha...ha....ha...4M...

YouTube - Google TV.
    My sentiments exactly!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have one I love it but my Internet is what's turning me off on it .... I have dsl but upgrading it... Downside is no apps but know apple or musclenerd that will be soon changed.... Googles looks good I love google but someone I think appletv will be better