+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Patent: Screens with "Display" and "Touch" Modes

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
If Apple is not working on a touchscreen computer, they're putting an awful lot of effort into taking out patents for nothing. The latest patent application to be discovered deals
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Patent: Screens with "Display" and "Touch" Modes

If Apple is not working on a touchscreen computer, they're putting an awful lot of effort into taking out patents for nothing.

The latest patent application to be discovered deals with very specific issues: preventing changes in voltage supply on an LCD display from affecting the touchscreen, and for saving power when touch is not needed. The idea of a touchscreen that changes from being a monitor to something like an iPad only really makes sense if the device in question is a hybrid like the rumored iMac touch that's been hinted at before.

The patent application, called "Integrated Touch Sensitive Display Gate Driver," describes a technology that would switch the power supplies depending on whether the screen was being used for display only or as a touchscreen. An LCD screen needs a power supply that can provide current to turn different elements on to display an image. A touchscreen, on the other hand, needs to detect the change in capacitance when something with dielectric properties - a finger, for example - comes into contact with the screen. In addition, the technology would work "to reduce or eliminate interference from the display circuitry that could affect touch sensing" as a result of poor grounding and limit excess power usage from running the touchscreen when not needed.

This technology obviously lends itself to the kind of convertible computer/tablet that was previously described in a patent application that showed an iMac morphing into an iPad when it was rotated to the horizontal. The current patent, however, goes even beyond that, talking about a device that would switch from "display mode" into other modes than "touch mode," including "scan mode, audio mode, text mode, etc."

Source: AppleInsider

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

uncomfortable to poke at a screen thats 18 inches in front of you...I think so. The technology concept is interesting though not practical for a desktop or even a laptop for that matter

iPhone? More like MyPhone mallenass's Avatar
    Thanks

IF I LIVED IN A PERFECT WORLD, i would get to work every morning at 8 a.m and find fresh apple news on modmyi. BUT since i do not live in a perfect apple fairitale, i find myself refreshing the modmyi page frantically every 10 minutes waiting for a new story.

me loves apple news

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mallenass For This Useful Post:

coolguy742 (10-07-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Same! But latly all we get is a bunch of rumors!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Rumors give us hope:P
    ---------------------------------------------

I am an iDiot

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

How is a patent application a rumor? Patent applications are key to future products and features. What is wrong with y'all?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

At this rate apple is going to pattenet breathing one of these days.

Thanks

I don't think I imaging seeing this before, but I believe touch screen computers/desktops have been out for some time now.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Read! OMGGGGGG! It has to do with power consumption and multiple power supplies with variable voltage on touch LCD screens vs display only LCD screens... not the invention of touch screen computers. Why do we even bother. Geez.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

madczech (10-07-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wrcsti View Post
    At this rate apple is going to pattenet breathing one of these days.
    I tend to agree with you...

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Bring on Greenpois0n!

iPhone? More like MyPhone madczech's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carter454 View Post
    Bring on Greenpois0n!
    dude.... stay on topic

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Read! OMGGGGGG! It has to do with power consumption and multiple power supplies with variable voltage on touch LCD screens vs display only LCD screens... not the invention of touch screen computers. Why do we even bother. Geez.
    80% of the people just read the title... and give a stupid comment about it, just to get more posts on the forum!

You bother, because of the other 20% (ok maybe less) are interested in news like this, including me!

Quote Originally Posted by mallenass View Post
    IF I LIVED IN A PERFECT WORLD, i would get to work every morning at 8 a.m and find fresh apple news on modmyi. BUT since i do not live in a perfect apple fairitale, i find myself refreshing the modmyi page frantically every 10 minutes waiting for a new story.

me loves apple news
    yeah yeah...

It takes time for things to happen! Are you expecting fresh news every 10 minutes???
    Then you would probably argue: "I only want the important news, please stop bringing everyday c*ap"!

Or are you really interested in where and when steve jobs wiped his *****?
    Last edited by madczech; 10-07-2010 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    I don't give a damn about Chuck Norris, Spongebob can grill under water!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to madczech For This Useful Post:

Poseidon79 (10-07-2010), skj8100 (10-07-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me Rob2G's Avatar
    Thanks

Yay!! Soon I can smudge up my macs screen just like my iPhones.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I'd love to have a portable iMac what better way to do this than fuse it with an ipadesque style I really hope one of these device come out

Thanks

Yes, I "Read!". I still have the same opinion. Same out come. Different implementation.

Quote Originally Posted by madczech View Post
    80% of the people just read the title... and give a stupid comment about it, just to get more posts on the forum!
    And I don't just read the Title... I just give stupid comments. There that should make you feel better.

Don't care about how many post I have.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by madczech View Post
    dude.... stay on topic

You bother, because of the other 20% (ok maybe less) are interested in news like this, including me!

yeah yeah...

It takes time for things to happen! Are you expecting fresh news every 10 minutes???
    Then you would probably argue: "I only want the important news, please stop bringing everyday c*ap"!

Or are you really interested in where and when steve jobs wiped his *****?
    Dude, what's your problem?

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

How is a patent application a rumor? Patent applications are key to future products and features. What is wrong with y'all?
    Exactly, and how could things not be rumors, it has to start that way, there no way in knowing if its not a rumor unless jobs comes out and says its not
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!