Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: The $900 Cardboard Box Hackintosh Built In A Hurry

Threaded View

Default The $900 Cardboard Box Hackintosh Built In A Hurry

When the guys over at One Block Off The Grid ran into trouble with Adobe After Effects, they realized that they needed a faster Mac to finish their project on time. They could have done what most people in this situation would do and go buy a new Mac at an Apple Store, but not these guys. Instead, the team decided to go another route and build their own hackintosh from parts ordered from Amazon for about $900.

The One Block Off The Grid personnel assembled their hackintosh using a 2.66 Intel Core i5 CPU, a 1 TB hard drive, 8 GB of 1333 MHz DDR3 RAM, and an XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB DDR5 Graphics Card. The best part: they installed all of these components into the cardboard box in which the order was shipped. Using iBoot + MultiBeast, the team was able to install Snow Leopard on their new hackintosh.

One Block Off The Grid was able to put together exactly what they needed to finish their After Effects project, and they only spent $900. Compare this to paying $2700 for an equivalent Apple computer. It may not be as stylish as a new Mac, but then you could never get anything as fast as this from Apple for 900 bucks.

I know Apple has been touting how green they are lately, but I donít think you can get more recyclable than cardboard. Maybe the team at One Block Off The Gridís next hackintosh project can be built using aluminum cans instead. The CPU could even be soda cooled.

Source: Cult of Mac

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wiley John Wright For This Useful Post:

CaryDude (10-07-2010), coolguy742 (10-07-2010), moon#pie (10-07-2010), phiber (10-08-2010)