+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Shortages Bolster "Mini-MacBook Air" Rumors

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
As reports spread indicating shortages of the entry-level MacBook Air model at a number of online resellers, the longstanding rumor of a new, possibly smaller model is getting a boost.
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Shortages Bolster "Mini-MacBook Air" Rumors

As reports spread indicating shortages of the entry-level MacBook Air model at a number of online resellers, the longstanding rumor of a new, possibly smaller model is getting a boost. AppleInsider, which checks inventory at multiple sites as part of its Mac Price Guide, reports that all but one of the resellers it contacted have completely run out of the 1.83GHz MacBook Air, and that at least two also have no 2.13GHz models in stock. Additionally, reports that stores are pulling MacBook Air SuperDrives off the shelves is further intensifying speculation that a new model is about to drop. Apple last refreshed the product line in June of last year.

Back in January, reports emerged suggesting that the MacBook Air refresh was waiting on supplies of the low-power version of Intel's Core i5 processor. And in July, DigiTimes had claimed that Apple was at work on a new MacBook Air with a 11.6-inch screen. Despite that publication's inconsistent success rate with predictions, the same report did accurately describe the fourth-generation iPod touch released last month. A financial analyst echoed that report in August, saying that the smaller MacBook Air was already in production.

Apple resellers generally let supplies of end-of-life models diminish to avoid having to sell them at a discount once a newer model hits the market. The fact that so many large resellers - from Amazon.com to MacConnection, MacMall and J&R - have no stock is a pretty strong suggestion that something is afoot, as are reports that Apple will not send any more MacBook Airs to resellers until Oct. 12 through Oct. 16 at the earliest. So this may or may not have to do with the "mini-MBA" that rumormongers have been talking about for months, but it's increasingly likely we'll see something new.

Source: AppleInsider, image via TimeCenter
    Last edited by Paul Daniel Ash; 10-06-2010 at 05:21 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

CaryDude (10-07-2010)

Thanks

I'd rather the next Gen iPad is released before Xmas...can't wait to get one especially as it'll hopefully and decidedly blow all wannabes out of existence!!

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

They don't have any events planned.. I wonder how they'd introduce a whole new product?

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 889 Posts

They seem to refresh their computers quietly though. So no event needed.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Rob2G's Avatar
    Thanks

Yay. More rumors. MacBook air = over priced netbook. My wife has one. It's no bueno.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Is this site just rumor after rumor. Jesus christ

Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 889 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Carter454 View Post
    Is this site just rumor after rumor. Jesus christ
    Take a look at other tech sites. Go ahead I will wait.

All the other tech sites are reporting this same thing along with the other items posted in news. So feel free to call MSNBC, Wired, Engadget, etc on all the rumors they post.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Alright I'll give you that.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Finally, a rumor mill post that uses vast amounts of knowledge...
    I'd buy it, plus, Apple hasn't "reinvented" or "changed everything" in the world of netbooks yet, so I can see it happening.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
    They seem to refresh their computers quietly though. So no event needed.

They quietly bump RAM and processor speeds... Not change the shape, size, and all the rest without a big unveiling.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iLaw-One View Post
    I'd rather the next Gen iPad is released before Xmas...can't wait to get one especially as it'll hopefully and decidedly blow all wannabes out of existence!!
    iPad is the hottest selling electronics item since iPad. They will have a huge conference in Jan 2011 to show off the new iPad with more ram, more screen res and cameras. They always dumb down their initial release product so that they can add on and make it better and more attractive to purchase. This is the apple selling point, this has always been the apple selling point and why change what works. Look at how many ipads have sold and are now available to buy at all best buys, targets and apple stores, Including amazon.com. Don't expect a new iPad till next march. Buy one now or wait. The best thing about macbookair is that there is not DVD drive. Apple is setting the standard for the future which is streaming, cloud storage and flash memory as solid state drives and hdd's get bigger and cheaper. Bluray is a fad.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    A MacBook Air THAT small? Well if it's small enough it could be a better solution than an iPad. Although, you'd have to reconsidered things like touch screen, price point, etc....

Thanks

I'd actually be interested in this because I miss the screen size of my old iBook 12". I love my MBP 13" but if this had a decent hard drive size, "I jump in it."

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Will actually consider buying this instead of an iPad. Really Depends on how much this will be I guess?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I think I would buy this one

Green Apple
    Thanks

What would be cool is a smaller MacBook Air with a touch screen, that can act like an iPad. But then, it might hurt some iPad sales, and Apple wouldn't let that happen.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

No thanks if it's still more expensive than a MacBook Pro. Right now you pay more for less in a smaller space. If I'm getting less, I want to pay less.
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

I would really want an air but I need the DVD drive
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Anything that Apple releases I will definitely buy! What can I say? I bleed apple. lol!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I want it for my motorcycle tank bag. My Alienware M11x is 11.6" but *barely* fits (it ruined one bag already) due to having a large empty bezel area around the screen. Apple wouldn't do that. I just hope it still has discrete graphics. I already have USB ODDs out he wazoo, including a BD burner, so I don't really care about the lack of optical disc drive. It just gives me more flexibility when packing!

Quote Originally Posted by f3nd3rmus1c View Post
    A MacBook Air THAT small? Well if it's small enough it could be a better solution than an iPad. Although, you'd have to reconsidered things like touch screen, price point, etc....
    The pic is misleading because they slimmed it down proportionally with the screen size. When closed, it wouldn't be much, if any, thinner. It may even be slightly thicker than the current MBA due to having less area to spread the components around. It will still be a LOT more portable.
    Last edited by CZroe; 10-11-2010 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost