+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google TV Shows Off Apps & Content

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Google and Apple have gone to war in a number of markets, from phones to mobile ads to music . Yesterday, Google made an advance on yet another one of
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Google TV Shows Off Apps & Content

Google and Apple have gone to war in a number of markets, from phones to mobile ads to music. Yesterday, Google made an advance on yet another one of those fronts, previewing what kinds of content will be available on the yet-to-be-released Google TV platform. As Apple found out, content providers are freaked out by the idea of set-top boxes that get programming over the internet. Google is doing an end-run around those concerns, by working with them to customize their websites for use with Google TV. As Google makes its plans clearer, the differences between the Apple TV and Google's offering are coming into sharper relief.

Google will - as they did with Android - not build their own hardware, in this case working with manufacturers like Sony and Logitech to build their software platform into their equipment. The company updated its Google TV site on Monday with a tour of the new platform's feature set. Right up front, they highlight the most significant difference between Google TV and Apple TV, with the slogan "TV, apps, search and the entire web… together at last." Rather than the Apple TV's closed "Lowtide" interface, Google TV will have apps right from the start like Twitter, Pandora, Napster and Amazon Video On Demand as well as custom offerings from CNBC and the NBA, and with access to the Android Market "starting early next year.

Both companies have struggled to overcome resistance from the major movie and television studios due to their concerns that Apple TV and Google TV could cannibalize their cable and satellite TV revenues. In particular, Google's approach of making all Web video accessible on its box made the studios worried that their programming would get lost amid all the different content, or pirated and redistributed for free. Google refined its pitch to providers, and now claims they have been "overwhelmed by interest from partners on how they can use the Google TV platform to personalize, monetize and distribute their content in new ways." The Google TV blog highlights web content from Turner Broadcasting - including TBS, TNT, CNN, Cartoon Network and Adult Swim - as well as the apps from the NBA, NBC and HBO.

As with the iPhone - which had no third-party apps when it was first released - it seems like the jailbreak community will save Apple's bacon yet again. The absence of apps on the Apple TV will be a major liability for the device once Sony's Internet Tv and Blu-ray Player as well as Logitech's Google TV box are released later this month.

Source: AppleInsider

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

cafini8ted (10-05-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Snozberries's Avatar
    Thanks

Any idea if this is hackable??

Green Apple
    Thanks

Wow and I thought the only way to make tv better was bigger!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jordbrett For This Useful Post:

SirTimothy1 (10-05-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone mallenass's Avatar
    Thanks

why google want to a$s rape apple?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mallenass For This Useful Post:

SirTimothy1 (10-05-2010)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

live tv would be the only reason to get this or the apple tv.

Thanks

Google TV>UnJailbroken Apple TV

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

First time I'll admit that Google has kicked the $*** out of Apple. I'd much rather have this than Apple glorified tv show rental box.

Apple better pray that jailbreakers work fast!

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snozberries View Post
    Any idea if this is hackable??
    You didn't know? Super secret agents have already infiltrated Sony, LG AND Google to get their hands on the hardware and software and did their own integration and had this bad boy hacked months ago!

Oh wait... nvm... that would be stupid. Also asking if a product that doesn't even exist in the free market place is hackable is ridiculous. Thanks though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

moon#pie (10-05-2010)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    You didn't know? Super secret agents have already infiltrated Sony, LG AND Google to get their hands on the hardware and software and did their own integration and had this bad boy hacked months ago!

Oh wait... nvm... that would be stupid. Also asking if a product that doesn't even exist in the free market place is hackable is ridiculous. Thanks though.
    hahahahahahahaha.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mallenass View Post
    why google want to a rape apple?
    They've been doing that every since their CEO resigned from the Apple board of directors.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mallenass View Post
    why google want to a$s rape apple?
    So apple doesn't ***** rape it's customers.

Thanks

I just did a quick look through the website on it. Google TV looks very impressive, lots of awesome features. Google definitely 1 upped Apple on this one. It's even better that they partnered with Sony and are making TVs with the Google TV feature built in. The Logitech box doesn't look too bad either which is surprising.

Finally someone is integrating the internet with TV in an extremely versatile way, geez took long enough!!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zozodouce View Post
    live tv would be the only reason to get this or the apple tv.
    This does have live tv, I'm just sayin

You should check out the demo vid it looks awesome!!!

Score one for google

@zoso I'm all over the Logitech box

Hah just realized u guys names were similar
    Last edited by juggz143; 10-05-2010 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Poseidon - Considering we know the Apple TV is hackable & it's not out yet, it's not ridiculous to ask if the Google TV is since we know the OS it runs on.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kraziebone For This Useful Post:

jlatnyc (10-06-2010), Snozberries (10-05-2010)

Thanks

id be mad that i bought the apple tv... but it only cost 99$ so its okay.. thats just one night of not going to a bar lol

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Even when google wins they loose because everybody got apple tv jailbreak on there minds. Google tv is like the slutty girl u know all about and apple tv is like the good girl u want to dirty up

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Neo02126 For This Useful Post:

moon#pie (10-05-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kraziebone View Post
    Poseidon - Considering we know the Apple TV is hackable & it's not out yet, it's not ridiculous to ask if the Google TV is since we know the OS it runs on.
    Actually the apple tv came out like a week ago. But yea if it runs some sort of android-related OS then I'm sure dev's will be all over it. And it runs apps also (unlike apple tv) so "hacking" it should be easier

Quote Originally Posted by Neo02126 View Post
    Even when google wins they loose because everybody got apple tv jailbreak on there minds. Google tv is like the slutty girl u know all about and apple tv is like the good girl u want to dirty up
    I doubt it because the jailbreakers are a small percentage of the i-device owners, so many apple tv owners may not even know what a jailbreak is
    Last edited by Waleed786; 10-05-2010 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

I love apple, but wow this does look awesome! Very sleek and sexy interface. And your iPhone works as a remote with Google Tv! nice!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neo02126 View Post
    If hackers come to the conclusion that the rewards to reap from developing for GoogleTV are worthwhile, a large, dedicated, and innovative community will pop up around it as well, just like this one has for Apple iOS devices.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kraziebone View Post
    ummm... yes apple TV is out. dumb head.

Twitter: @tshoults