+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iSupply: AirPlay Will Be the iPod of Home Audio

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default iSupply: AirPlay Will Be the iPod of Home Audio

In a new analysis, the market research firm iSuppli is predicting that Apple's new AirPlay protocol could revolutionize what it refers to as the "connected home" market. Saying that "AirPlay has the potential to be a truly disruptive force in the market," iSuppli's analysts believe that the technology could do for wireless multimedia what the iPod did for portable music, propelling it into the top 10 of consumer electronics products.

AirPlay is Apple's new name for its AirTunes technology, which allowed iTunes music to be streamed to other computers or to AirPort Express devices. AirPlay, however, adds the capability to stream any media from any device that can run iTunes - Mac OS X or Windows computers and mobiles running iOS - to any device that can run iTunes or any AirPlay-compatible sound system, including Apple TV with the upcoming 4.2 iOS upgrade. Apple is working with BridgeCo, which is already a major player in connected audio with its JukeBlox (ugh) platform, to give audio equipment manufacturers an easy way to build AirPlay support into their gear. AirPlay-enabled speakers will be available soon from manufacturers like iHome, Denon, Bowers & Wilkins and JBL, and receivers will show song metadata like titles and artist names, as well as album artwork on compatible displays.

Like the iPod, AirPlay's technology is far from revolutionary: it's based on a dialect of the Real Time Streaming Protocol that's been used to control audio and video over networks for more than a decade. And like the iPod, which was easy to use and manage with iTunes, AirPlay is seen as making connected audio more user friendly. After all, wireless sound systems have been around for years. One of the most highly-regarded is the Sonos S5 system, which allows users to play not only music from iTunes but also streams from Pandora, Last.fm, Napster and other online services. It requires its own SonosNet mesh network, however, and must be controlled from its proprietary remote or an iOS app. And while AirPlay video streaming isn't supported on current betas of iOS 4.2, the capability to stream not only audio but pictures and video to your home entertainment system is a huge differentiator between AirPlay and competing wireless systems.

Apple announced AirPlay with little fanfare, and as iSuppli's report said, it was "nearly lost amid Apple Inc.’s recent product and software rollouts." It's likely that the low profile has to do with the fact that AirPlay is not quite complete. However, as a way to make seamless media sharing possible for everyday users (and as a potential method to get jailbroken apps to the Apple TV for the rest of us), it's certain that we'll be hearing a lot more about AirPlay in the weeks and months to come.

Source: The Mac Observer

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

dt0theh (10-02-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone macsoldier's Avatar
    Thanks

Nice just makes life a bit easier and less cluttered around the house. plus the Apple products look great on the table or entertainment center

Thanks

This is why I am looking foreward to iOS 4.2
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Cant wait to upgrade my receiver

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

Once this is fleshed out I'll be picking up an AppleTV.
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

Livin the iPhone Life iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
    Thanks

Nice, this makes me want an apple tv!

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

iPhone4 16gb black - 4.1 Limera1ned
    iPhone 3G 16gb white - 3.1.2 jailbroken
    Blackra1ned
    THANKYOU ONCE AGAIN GEOHOT!

iPhone? More like MyPhone blueblaze4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Awesome! I am trying to become a completely "mac" person now.

I have my iPhone 4 and 27" iMac. As soon as the 2nd Gen iPad comes out I will buy it. And I just ordered the iPod Touch 4G. As soon as 4.2 and "AirPlay" are released I will definitely buy an AppleTV.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to blueblaze4444 For This Useful Post:

tudtran (10-03-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I am also looking forward to ios4.2 but that means I will still be without a jailbreak.
    SHAtter is for ios4.1 when 4.2 come out the devs will have to jb that too.
    If SHAtter works for both it will be awsome!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

damn it. I didnt wanna buy anything Apple other than an iPhone, but now i must buy Apple TV
    no spam

Thanks

so apple tv can do what an xbox/ps3 has been doing for years? yawn

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default no
    Quote Originally Posted by Funny_Monkey View Post
    I am also looking forward to ios4.2 but that means I will still be without a jailbreak.
    SHAtter is for ios4.1 when 4.2 come out the devs will have to jb that too.
    If SHAtter works for both it will be awsome!!
    when the shatter/greenpoison jailbreak comes out it will also jailbreak 4.2 or any other software upgrade apple does ,,,apple need to change there hardware to overcome the exploit as with what they had to do with the old iphone ,so should really buy now before apple change

cheers

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by njp316 View Post
    so apple tv can do what an xbox/ps3 has been doing for years? yawn
    Yes, but who wants to buy a $400 gaming system when they can buy a $100 AppleTV that can rent movies and can connect wirelessly with an iMac or MacBook as well as playing music directly from an iPad, iPhone, or iPod? Not to mention that most people don't even play video games.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

ATVs UI is so much better too

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blueblaze4444 View Post
    Yes, but who wants to buy a $400 gaming system when they can buy a $100 AppleTV that can rent movies and can connect wirelessly with an iMac or MacBook as well as playing music directly from an iPad, iPhone, or iPod? Not to mention that most people don't even play video games.
    The cheapest new Xbox is $199. You can rent movies/shows. It connects wirelessly with your apple computers to stream music/movies/pics. Plus it is a DVD player or Bluray with a ps3. I'm not saying it's the only way to go, just that appleTv is not doing anything special right now

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by njp316 View Post
    The cheapest new Xbox is $199. You can rent movies/shows. It connects wirelessly with your apple computers to stream music/movies/pics. Plus it is a DVD player or Bluray with a ps3. I'm not saying it's the only way to go, just that appleTv is not doing anything special right now
    Again, most people don't exactly need the option to play video games. $199 is still twice as much as $99 and I know for a fact that the PS3 is $400. You do realize that AirPlay is made to focus on iDevices and AirPort Products. Plus did you even watch the latest keynote from apple.com? It looks much more full featured especially for something that is meant to be a TV and not a gaming system.

And like StealthBravo said above, the UI is so much better.

And just to point out - the most important reason that people are excited about this, is because it is made by Apple and not Sony or Microsoft.
    Last edited by blueblaze4444; 10-04-2010 at 05:15 PM.

Thanks

And just to point out - the most important reason that people are excited about this, is because it is made by Apple and not Sony or Microsoft. [/QUOTE]

Yah I noticed. That is sad.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I wonder if it makes any sense for people outside US to get the Apple TV due to limited amount of content available to international users!

Thanks

Yeah I think the whole streaming thing is cool, but don't compare apple tv to ps3! It dnt make sense also I think Sony are crap but the ps3 really is a good buy!

What's Jailbreak? Sarah Hastings's Avatar
    Thanks
    So its more of some revolutionary technology coming our way…Apple Tv seems to get more attractive device for the future.