Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Facebook Deal with Apple, Ping Becoming More Likely

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 567 Posts

Default Facebook Deal with Apple, Ping Becoming More Likely

The people at Facebook want to make it happen. It seems like the folks at Apple want the same thing. And despite bumps in the road along the way, it now seems inevitable if not imminent that Facebook will team (in some capacity) with Apple's musical social network dubbed "Ping" for yet another embellishment to the social networking days of our lives. According to the Silicon Alley Insider:

At a dinner with New York media last night, Facebook CTO Bret Taylor said he is "very confident" Facebook and Apple will figure out a way to work together on Ping, Apple's music social network.
    As it stands, there is no perceptible time table being publicly discussed for when such a deal will be finalized and also result in new bells and whistles for our Facebook experience. Nonetheless, it has been one of the worst kept secrets in the industry that Apple and Facebook have seriously entertained possible partnership opportunities over the last two years. And while "talk" is yet to materialize into "action," Taylor's confidence in his remarks would suggest that something is finally about to happen.

If a partnership pans out, it would likely mean that Facebook executives had to bend more to the wishes of Apple rather than the other way around. If you recall, Ping's introduction in conjunction with the release of iTunes 10 brought with it Steve Jobs' comments about Ping not yet being tied to Facebook because of the social network's terms and demands.

Regardless, it now appears that both parties realize there is likely too much to be mutually gained from a partnership to not give it a try in some capacity in the near future.

Silicon Alley Insider

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

Buffolus (10-01-2010), dt0theh (10-01-2010), IrishBlue77 (10-01-2010)

This should be interesting.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using ModMyi
    Sent from my iPhone 4.

I don't know why they restricted apple to begin with, facebook made that API public and said anyone can use it

iPhone? More like MyPhone iphone4idiots's Avatar
    Thanks

With 500 million users I blogged this morning that if Facebook Connect had been there from Day 1 Ping would be well over 10 million users and probably more. My guess is Ping only has about 2.5 million and the vast majority are like me that took a peek and havenít been back for weeks. Facebook is the only way I will ever give Ping another try, but IMO donít believe Bret Taylor. If it was going to happen it would have happened already. Verizon is getting the iPhone too right
    I thought my carrier was bad til I got a new web host

I'm kinda bored with Facebook being spammed up with pointless games and such... I hope they really think this one through...

Thanks

I'm sure another social network will come along and facebook would be a thing of the past as yahoo messenger and myspace have been through. Nonetheless, this is a win-win situation for both. Definitely better for Apple.

Thanks
    michael always with some good news... thanks bro

Thanks

facebook is poo.

Apple should team up with the IMVU people! In a virtual world, a virtual you, can chill, and exchange music with your other virtual friends!

....and as a bonus...in virtual world you can look like a Twilight character, or Avatar!
    Last edited by tremerone; 10-01-2010 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

People still use Ping?!

That image shows up GIANT in my rss feed. wow

Thanks

I don't even use Ping. Is it worth it to even bother?

This sounds like a pretty kool idea
    can't wait to see what happens
    "We don't need bullets, We need Pie's"

Then maybe I'd actually use ping more

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

My iPhone is a Part of Me Rob2G's Avatar
    Thanks

Ping is cool but I cant use it because all my friends listen to mentally challenged music, So I have no one to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddyrob2g View Post
    Ping is cool but I cant use it because all my friends listen to mentally challenged music, So I have no one to follow.
    Lol

I forgot ping existed the day after I read about its release.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddyrob2g View Post
    Hahaha thanks for the laugh.
    Last edited by robertr1; 10-03-2010 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost