Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple TV Teardown Reveals 8GB Storage, 256MB RAM

Default Apple TV Teardown Reveals 8GB Storage, 256MB RAM

Repair gurus at ifixit have dissected the latest Apple TV and discovered what makes the little box tick. Apple revealed most of the technical specifications at its recent press event, but left out a few key details. Now that Apple TV is out in the wild, those missing details can finally be revealed.

Apple did not disclose what, if any, onboard storage would be made available to the Apple TV. We now know that it ships with 8GB of onboard NAND flash storage, and that it comes with a modest 256MB of RAM. This device has the same amount of RAM as the iPad and iPod Touch. The iPhone 4 still has the most RAM of any iOS device topping out at 512MB of RAM.

While 8GB of flash storage does seem a bit paltry at first glance, the Apple TV is designed to stream its content from a host computer and isnít designed to store large TV or movie files onboard. This amount of RAM is more than enough storage for Apps, if and when Apple decides to open an Apple TV App Store. Steve Jobs recently hinted that an App Store for Apple TV was a possibility but it would not happen until the time was right.

Out of all the iOS devices, Apple TV bears the most resemblance internally to the iPad, including the same A4 system-on-chip package and the same Broadcom Wi-Fi chip. Also, there appears to be an empty spot on the logic board for another NAND Flash chip, possibly leaving the door open for a future model with more flash memory. Apple historically bumps up the RAM and memory of its devices before the release of new models. This empty flash memory slot points to Apple planning an intermediate upgrade, presumably if sales are strong for this new model Apple TV.

With the release of the Apple TV, Apple continues its stance on environmental responsibility. Apple TV only uses 5.95 watts of power, and is built to be easily recyclable.

Now that Apple TV has been released, I hope Apple moves this product out of the hobby category. Apple has a head start on set-top boxes, but completion is sure to be fierce this holiday shopping season. With strong offerings coming from Google TV and the Boxee Box, just to name a few, Apple will have to work hard to stay ahead of the pack. If Apple is going to wait until the time is right to launch an Apple TV App Store, I would suggest that the right time is before the holidays shopping season starts. At $99 an Apple TV with access to the App Store would be at the top of my must-have wish list.

Source: ifixit

makes a strong argument to wait until they actually do the appTV store and bump memory then
    Really?

iPhone? More like MyPhone iphone4idiots's Avatar
    Thanks

I know the price is much lower, but really half the RAM of an iPhone 4???
    I thought my carrier was bad til I got a new web host

Quote Originally Posted by eg6motion View Post
    makes a strong argument to wait until they actually do the appTV store and bump memory then
    I was thinking the same thing. The device has potential but it's not worth purchasing right now. I will let all the loyal Apple customers and fanboys be the test rats and wait until this thing hits full potential.

8GB seems like enough, espiccialy since the apple tv is renting oriented
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

It is interesting how apple seems to release ground breaking products with the knowledge that other products are following with tech that the apple launch product doesnt have...

Ipad not having a camera or two. The apple TV not having apps, and multiple others have or plan to have apps...

8gb of flash storage is more than enough to launch the apple tv app store. I would find it hard to find anyone who has more than 8gb of just apps on their iDevice.

I dont know if they are going to hold an event for the launch of the new iPad OS, but that would be a perfect time to launch airplay and apps for the Apple TV.

With all that said, I ordered one just for the purpose of playing movies for my 2.5 year old that my wife and I already have on our Macs and iDevices. Being able to do this without attaching it to the tv is priceless! Not to mention all our music. The $99 is well worth this functionality alone.

D

iPhone? More like MyPhone blueblaze4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iphone4idiots View Post
    I know the price is much lower, but really half the RAM of an iPhone 4???
    Well, multitasking doesn't exist for the AppleTV (because it is obviously not needed) so it is not overly concerning. But when an app store becomes available multitasking might become a necessary addition. Apple is making everything more and more compatible with every update. Soon Apple will rule the world with only 2 operating systems.

Thanks

I wonder how this will connect to the future app store. Could this be the first IOS device to possibly get WiFi syncing abilities?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

^^"Apple rule the world" would never happen simply because they are too damn expensive and Apple is too controlling.
    Just fixed a G5 by replacing video card, bought a used Radeon 9600XT (obsolete in PC world) for $200! $200+tax on antiquated video card is just rediculous.

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    ^^"Apple rule the world" would never happen simply because they are too damn expensive and Apple is too controlling.
    Just fixed a G5 by replacing video card, bought a used Radeon 9600XT (obsolete in PC world) for $200! $200+tax on antiquated video card is just rediculous.
    How true, but someone (you) bought it. Amazing ain't it!

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    Lol! I would have just put that $200 towards a new computer...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bigbaba For This Useful Post:

skj8100 (09-30-2010)

dont care for this.will never buy it or pay for free tv,which i'm already paying for it's call cable.if this thing could stream live tv i would get it,i see no use for this when i can download all the free movies i want form the web and i dont care call me whatever you want to,but you're the fool to pay for free tv shows and stupid movies out all over the on web lol.

Quote Originally Posted by friscosooner View Post
    I wonder how this will connect to the future app store. Could this be the first IOS device to possibly get WiFi syncing abilities?
    My guess is that the appletv would pop up in your itunes sidebar and you'd need a real computer to sync. Not a stand alone solution but still wireless.

Quote Originally Posted by zozodouce View Post
    dont care for this.will never buy it or pay for free tv,which i'm already paying for it's call cable.if this thing could stream live tv i would get it,i see no use for this when i can download all the free movies i want form the web and i dont care call me whatever you want to,but you're the fool to pay for free tv shows and stupid movies out all over the on web lol.
    You like the pirate...that's your choice. Morality aside don't call people fools who like to get their stuff legit.

Otherwise the AppleTV is a great way for you to get all your media from your computer to your living room effortlessly.

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    8GB seems like enough, espiccialy since the apple tv is renting oriented
    And it doesn't hurt that Apple does offer a 2GB Time Capsule option.
    Last edited by bigbaba; 09-29-2010 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I heard there's no hdmi cable included. So out the box you can use it right away. You would have to buy a cable.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Most blu-ray, DVD players, and gaming consoles do not come with hdmi cables. It's pretty standard to buy separately.

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    Most blu-ray, DVD players, and gaming consoles do not come with hdmi cables. It's pretty standard to buy separately.
    Exactly. This way I can buy a $100 3ft gold-plated HDMI Monster Cable. Lucky me!
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

So, this thing is pretty much a $100 iPad without the screen and buttons and battery. So they're making like 400% profit on the iPad (that number is made up, but I'm sure it's high).

Quote Originally Posted by politicalslug View Post
    Exactly. This way I can buy a $100 3ft gold-plated HDMI Monster Cable. Lucky me!
    Hehe, yeah. Monoprice.com is my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by politicalslug View Post
    There's no visual difference between a 5 dollar no name brand HDMI cable and a 100 dollar HDMI monster cable. The only difference is in your mind. This debate was de-mythed years ago.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sharpjunkie76 For This Useful Post:

mortopher (09-29-2010), skj8100 (09-30-2010)

Can you post a bigger image please?

1.3MB @ 2,895px ◊ 2,171px jees..

Quote Originally Posted by definitive View Post
    I dont know if they are going to hold an event for the launch of the new iPad OS, but that would be a perfect time to launch airplay and apps for the Apple TV.
    ...I know. That they won't. That event already happened. Where do you think the AppleTV and AirPlay were announced? Can't believe some of the comments here.

Oh btw, gyro on the iPhone 4? inb4 this b!tch using your iPhone(s) as controllers..

Mind blown yet? Apple just came out with the first $99 game console and it's gonna be already sitting in your living room by the time they announce it.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpjunkie76 View Post
    There's no visual difference between a 5 dollar no name brand HDMI cable and a 100 dollar HDMI monster cable. The only difference is in your mind. This debate was de-mythed years ago.
    Someone on here's not a moron.. i'm impressed. Digital either works or it doesn't. Analog is the only 'lossy' cable there is. Guess what.. you can use RCA cables in lieu of expensive component cables too. It's the same damn thing. L2 home theatre nubs.
    Last edited by reanimationxp; 09-29-2010 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Anybody want a 32GB Mint Condition Black JB Unlocked 3GS? PM me with offers.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to reanimationxp For This Useful Post:

mortopher (09-29-2010)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast