Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple TV Teardown Reveals 8GB Storage, 256MB RAM

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by saunupe1911 View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. The device has potential but it's not worth purchasing right now. I will let all the loyal Apple customers and fanboys be the test rats and wait until this thing hits full potential.
    I can understand this line of thinking with high ticket items, but for $99?

If you want one, just buy it now and when they come out with a better one in a year, you could throw this one on ebay and get half that $99 back, or more.

Life is short, don't waste it wanting the next model. Live a little.

DW

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DreamWeaver88 For This Useful Post:

kmmxracer (09-30-2010), mortopher (09-29-2010)

Apple has a head start on set-top boxes, but completion is sure to be fierce this holiday shopping season. With strong offerings coming from Google TV and the Boxee Box, just to name a few, Apple will have to work hard to stay ahead of the pack.]
    First, what is this "completion" that will be fierce? I guess spell-checker can't be a substitute for an education. ;p
    Second, I'm pretty sure that Motorola has a head start on everyone with set-top boxes. And if by 'set-top box' we are talking about non-cable tuning media recording and streaming, then I think are still other boxes with deeper penetration. This is for Apple homes that love Apple so much they wear blinders -- it's a limited market. TiVo has a much bigger head start and the only thing that it can do that TiVo can't is to stream content from your iPod or iPad -- 'officially': there's plenty of ways out there to do that to TiVo and your iTunes library too.

I would be willing to bet that most people who could possibly be the target base already have a Blu Ray player, a PS3, XBox, or Wii that does Netflix and media streaming. If you have a cable box and one of the afore mentioned devices, why would you want AppleTV? What's the compelling reason?

And if you don't, you're probably anti-cable and have some other HTPC type solution (MythTV?) already and have figure out how to do what Apple is trying to sell you. iPhone? iPad? iPod? Yes, I can understand those because they all brought something new. But I don't see that with AppleTV.

Can someone explain it to me?
    Last edited by quidam_brujah; 09-29-2010 at 10:55 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to quidam_brujah For This Useful Post:

skj8100 (09-30-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zozodouce View Post
    dont care for this.will never buy it or pay for free tv,which i'm already paying for it's call cable.if this thing could stream live tv i would get it,i see no use for this when i can download all the free movies i want form the web and i dont care call me whatever you want to,but you're the fool to pay for free tv shows and stupid movies out all over the on web lol.
    Their is going to be youtube as well which is free as well as apps in the near future to bring other free content. Really you download all your movies to your computer and stream them anywhere in your house wirelessly without having to hook up another computer. I have quite a few movies on my hard drive and some tv shows as well so this will come in handy. Really, I prefer to get the shows online versus regular cable and like to not have to watch all the commercials, even with dvr you have to fast forward through commercials. To each their own i suppose. You pay for it one way or another

The reason why apple has put more ram in the iPhone 4 is because they don't want to make the same mistake they did with the iPhone 3G they want it to support future software with ease as the iPhone is the only device locked into a carrier contract and is very costly to upgrade.

iPhone? More like MyPhone FURBY8704's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sharpjunkie76 View Post
    There's no visual difference between a 5 dollar no name brand HDMI cable and a 100 dollar HDMI monster cable. The only difference is in your mind. This debate was de-mythed years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by reanimationxp View Post
    Someone on here's not a moron.. i'm impressed. Digital either works or it doesn't. Analog is the only 'lossy' cable there is. Guess what.. you can use RCA cables in lieu of expensive component cables too. It's the same damn thing. L2 home theatre nubs.
    im not alone! =]

iPHONE 3G FW 4.0 JB & iPHONE 4 4.0 READY TO BE JB=]

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

There's no visual difference between a 5 dollar no name brand HDMI cable and a 100 dollar HDMI monster cable. The only difference is in your mind. This debate was de-mythed years ago.
    Well said.

Really want to get one now. This thing is going ton have some potential behind it
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

8 GB?? WTF u have got to be kidding me, flash memory is so cheap these days and it seems that they would have room to shove more memory in there. I understand that its mostly streaming but what if you want to put movies on there and other media so you dont have to stream it, wouldnt you want more space? More space is always better i dont give a crap what anybody says!

Banned
    Thanks

Well actually impedance in metals make quite a lot of difference to cable quality and the quality it produces. Digital signal does better with low impedance. The quicker the transfer of data the better the quality. Like optic audio cable, just works better. Now if they can get a standard for optic video encoding we'll be better off.

Quote Originally Posted by vantheman169 View Post
    8 GB?? WTF u have got to be kidding me, flash memory is so cheap these days and it seems that they would have room to shove more memory in there. I understand that its mostly streaming but what if you want to put movies on there and other media so you dont have to stream it, wouldnt you want more space? More space is always better i dont give a crap what anybody says!
    It's only meant to be for caching of data streams. Data storage belongs to the parent computer AppleTV is synced with. Why have a 1Gb movie in itunes and on Apple TV too? This new device is just a portal device not a storage device. And when cloud in the sky storage become the norm, we won't need Tb's of storage lying around, just like cd's & dvd's it will be irrelevant.
    Last edited by Tyronal; 09-30-2010 at 03:57 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I'm worried about the 8gb and the future app store for it. That can fill up pretty fast. Unless, of course they decide to make any apps stream from your computer. It would be annoying, but it would work.

You like the pirate...that's your choice. Morality aside don't call people fools who like to get their stuff legit.

pipe it fool.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

You know, I wish I knew why Apple omits certain specifications of their hardware from the spec list they provide. It's not like they don't know that people are going to tear every device they ever make apart and let the world know what's inside. Why not just come out and say whats under the hood... completely?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anekin007 View Post
    I heard there's no hdmi cable included. So out the box you can use it right away. You would have to buy a cable.
    And if this is true does it really surprise you? We're talking about apple here. This is the company whose primary stategy is to release half *** spec products that look pretty or cool, seriously overcharge for it betting on those idiots who will ***** about how lacking it is and then will immediately buy the new model because it has something the original model should have had....

Quote Originally Posted by politicalslug View Post
    Exactly. This way I can buy a $100 3ft gold-plated HDMI Monster Cable. Lucky me!
    Or you could get three of them on eBay or amazon that will work just as well funcitionally and quality wise for $9.99....
    Last edited by skj8100; 09-30-2010 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skj8100 View Post
    And if this is true does it really surprise you? We're talking about apple here. This is the company whose primary stategy is to release half *** spec products that look pretty or cool, seriously overcharge for it betting on those idiots who will ***** about how lacking it is and then will immediately buy the new model because it has something the original model should have had....
    And can you tell me any video device like a TV or DVD, or PVR that does come with a HDMI cable in the box?? Or was this just a good chance to bash. Troll much?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vantheman169 View Post
    This is along the reasoning of me never ever paying for an apple computer....you can build a computer with 4x the specs for half the cost while dedicating and entire 1tb hard drive to OSX and still have a 1tb hdd for windows 7 as well to play any game at max settings plus all the benefits of having both operating systems like I did.....
    And yes all hardware and components take updates too...

Quote Originally Posted by Tyronal View Post
    And can you tell me any video device like a TV or DVD, or PVR that does come with a HDMI cable in the box?? Or was this just a good chance to bash. Troll much?

How is it trolling when you provide inevitable facts?
    It's always funny how the troll is always the first to point out a supposed troll......
    Grow up son. This what's called a forum. This is where people go to express themselves and discuss things. Let's act like adults....
    Last edited by skj8100; 09-30-2010 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skj8100 View Post
    This is along the reasoning of me never ever paying for an apple computer....you can build a computer with 4x the specs for half the cost while dedicating and entire 1tb hard drive to OSX and still have a 1tb hdd for windows 7 as well to play any game at max settings plus all the benefits of having both operating systems like I did.....
    And yes all hardware and components take updates too...

How is it trolling when you provide inevitable facts?
    It's always funny how the troll is always the first to point out a supposed troll.,,,,
    What facts? You just sprout crap, not evidential facts at all. Oh it's a well known fact, you are a troll. Reading your posts prove that. A troll always denys the loudest. Why do you keep coming here? Bash bash bash.

Again, answer my question instead of accusing me of being a troll. Which product gives you a HDMI cable in the box?????????????????????????????

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iphone4idiots View Post
    I know the price is much lower, but really half the RAM of an iPhone 4???
    +1 to this. It doesn't make sense to have a phone having more storage space and more RAM then the TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyronal View Post
    Which product gives you a HDMI cable in the box?????????????????????????????
    The original popcornhour.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12