Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Media <3s Apple: Study

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Media <3s Apple: Study

A new study by the Pew Research Center confirms what a lot of people already know, and Steve Jobs haters love to hate on: the media likes to write about Apple. Of 400 different technology-related stories, Pew found, about one in every six of them were about Apple, and most showed the company and its products in a favorable light. In general, the most common topic was the danger of texting while driving, with the release of the iPhone 4 the second most written-about subject. The release of the iPad was a close third.

The study from Pew Research Center's Project for Excellence in Journalism, called “When Technology Makes Headlines: The Media’s Double-Vision About the Digital Age," looked at 431 stories that were published in a wide range of sources: from The New York Times, to MSNBC.com, Rush Limbaugh and the Rome (Georgia) News-Tribune. 15% of the stories had to do with Apple, with 42% of those stories describing the company as "innovative and superior." An additional 27% were about how loyal Apple customers are. On the other side, 17% of stories were about how "Apple products don’t live up to the hype." Google, the second-most-mentioned company got good reviews in just 25%, with only 20% referring to the company "having superior, innovative products."

Twitter and Facebook were the next most common subjects, getting 7% and 5% respectively. Microsoft, which ruled the computer industry for so long, was almost completely forgotten in 2010, with only 3% of stories talking about the software giant: less than half as many stories as Twitter, under a third as many as Google, and a mere fifth of the coverage that Apple got.

Source: New York Times

Who doesn't <3 apple

This is why apple should value their image more, cause it's the most valuable thing they have

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

iPhone? More like MyPhone mallenass's Avatar
    Thanks

intresting story, but im afraid nobody cares.. :s

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mallenass For This Useful Post:

hitman10 (09-27-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by mallenass View Post
    You don't speak for me, buddy. Knock it off.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jahooba For This Useful Post:

friscosooner (09-27-2010), holygamer22 (09-27-2010), walktovanish (09-27-2010)

Still no blackberry playbook article yet? Common MMi writers get in the game

BlackBerry - Smartphone - Smart Phone at BlackBerry.com
    Last edited by SnowLeo; 09-27-2010 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SnowLeo View Post
    Still no blackberry playbook article yet? Common MMi writers get in the game

BlackBerry - Smartphone - Smart Phone at BlackBerry.com
    No offense meant to RIM or Google, but I gave up both a Blackberry and an Android phone and moved back to my iPhone 2G. I just find iOS more enjoyable, personally.

Of course the media loves Apple there's so much to write about.
    Two news posts down talks about another lawsuit Apple is getting themselves into.

Quote Originally Posted by walktovanish;
    No offense meant to RIM or Google, but I gave up both a Blackberry and an Android phone and moved back to my iPhone 2G. I just find iOS more enjoyable, personally.
    Id never trade my iphone 3gs for a blackberry- any day! lol but this blackberry playbook... completely new OS with webOS like multitasking, beautiful UI, 1080p playback... lighter and 7 inches compared to my ipad that I cant hold with one hand. But thats just the beggining...
    -Cortex A9 1ghz DUAL CORE processor (as in more than 2x faster than ipads)
    -1GB of RAM (as in 4x what ipad has).
    -5MP rear camera w/ HD video and 3MP front camera (as in same rear cam as ip4 and best front cam out there)
    -hdmi

I swear iPad 2 better have these specs or Im buying this.

Its coming early 2011.
    Did I mention it was sexy?

iPhone? More like MyPhone blueblaze4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Id never trade my iphone 3gs for a blackberry- any day! lol but this blackberry playbook... completely new OS with webOS like multitasking, beautiful UI, 1080p playback... lighter and 7 inches compared to my ipad that I cant hold with one hand. But thats just the beggining...
    -Cortex A9 1ghz DUAL CORE processor (as in more than 2x faster than ipads)
    -1GB of RAM (as in 4x what ipad has).
    -5MP rear camera w/ HD video and 3MP front camera (as in same rear cam as ip4 and best front cam out there)
    -hdmi

I swear iPad 2 better have these specs or Im buying this.

Its coming early 2011.
    Did I mention it was sexy?

One very big problem with what you said. The rear cam on the iPhone 4 is 5MP, the iPhone 3Gs has a 3 MP cam. Which means that the Blackberry Playbook has the exact same rear cam as the iPhone 4 (and what i would expect to see in the 2nd Gen iPad if not something a bit better) and I would definitely expect a 3MP camera on the 2nd Gen iPad. With a screen that big, a front cam with the same resolution as an iPhone 4 would be ridiculous. It would make someone look boxy. Think of it like fitting a picture taken with a 3 MP camera to fit a 52" TV screen.

You would think that with a screen as big as what's on the iPad, Apple would boost both cameras to something even a bit better than on the iPhone 4, especially the front camera.

Well according to this report many people care. I do because it show those people that you see all over the web yelling about why so much Apple news why there are so many articles about Apple.

I said it has a 5MP REAR CAMERA which is the same as the ip4 and a 3MP front camera which is a better front camera than any other out there and both cameras take HD video.

Your comparison is rediculous especially when you compare the 1024x768 res of the blackberry playbook compared to the pixel density of 5MP which is much greater. But the 1080p video playback is awesome! even on a 10 in display the ipad only supports 720p video playback.

If apple wanted to they couldve included an 8mp or even 11mp camera (11mp exists on some european nokia smartphone) on all their devices if they wanted to. Fact is its simply not gonna happen and at most the cameras on the ipad will be as good as this device.
    I will be quite disappointed if apple doesnt make a 7 inch or AT LEAST make the damn thing LiGHTER!

The fact that this thing is double the processing power and quadruple the ram of the ipad is stunning! Imagine all the capabilities the ipad could have with a dual core processor and 1GB of ram instead of the sh*tty 256mbs that constantly crashes all the games I play on my ipad on a regular basis.

Hopefully hp will decide to release the palmpad soon too to further pressure apple to step up their game with the ipad 2

Edit: res for 5mp image is 2560 x 2048 aka much bigger image than the pixels on this device
    Last edited by SnowLeo; 09-27-2010 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone blueblaze4444's Avatar
    Thanks

I said it has a 5MP REAR CAMERA which is the same as the ip4 and a 3MP front camera which is a better front camera than any other out there and both cameras take HD video.

Your comparison is rediculous especially when you compare the 1024x768 res of the blackberry playbook compared to the pixel density of 5MP which is much greater. But the 1080p video playback is awesome! even on a 10 in display the ipad only supports 720p video playback.

If apple wanted to they couldve included an 8mp or even 11mp camera (11mp exists on some european nokia smartphone) on all their devices if they wanted to. Fact is its simply not gonna happen and at most the cameras on the ipad will be as good as this device.
    I will be quite disappointed if apple doesnt make a 7 inch or AT LEAST make the damn thing LiGHTER!

The fact that this thing is double the processing power and quadruple the ram of the ipad is stunning! Imagine all the capabilities the ipad could have with a dual core processor and 1GB of ram instead of the sh*tty 256mbs that constantly crashes all the games I play on my ipad on a regular basis.

Hopefully hp will decide to release the palmpad soon too to further pressure apple to step up their game with the ipad 2

Edit: res for 5mp image is 2560 x 2048 aka much bigger image than the pixels on this device
    Geez, no need to get mad. Sorry. Since you had mentioned the front facing camera last I wasn't paying full attention.

I never once compared a 5 MP density to the Blackberry Playbook. I agree with you that 5 MP would be just fine on the iPad. However, Apple would have to at least boost the front camera. I am always very disappointed looking at myself through the .3MP VGA camera on my iPhone 4. Not even to mention that Apple could (and probably will) bring Retina Display to the iPad which would give it 2048 x 1536 resolution. I would be baffled if Apple didn't give it at least 512 MB of RAM (If not 1 GB). 256 is INCREDIBLY low. Somehow I don't think that Apple will go for the A9 Cortex Dual Core Processor though.
    Last edited by blueblaze4444; 09-27-2010 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blueblaze4444 View Post
    Not even to mention that Apple could (and probably will) bring Retina Display to the iPad which would give it 2048 x 1536 resolution.
    If they don't it will be very sad; well I will be at least.

Yeah the front facing camera res is pretty pathetic and they need to fix that for sure. Even the Evo 4g has a way better res front camera thsn the iphone 4. A 3mp front camera with HD facetime would be pretty awesome

everyone already knows this....

My iPhone is a Part of Me coolguy742's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Maestro View Post
    Who doesn't <3 apple
    I <3 Apple's products, but the way they treat their customers is inexcusable.

iPhone? More like MyPhone nautical79's Avatar
    Thanks

Its a matter of common sense, if you make a research about what's the most ussual search on any search angine, problably will be apple, so the media have it easy, write about apple and people will follow.
    Common Sense Its Not So Common

Thanks

Then GTFO!!

I don't love Apple, but their products are awesome.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

its all about steve that just the bottom line. thats how it is and forever shall be...;D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast