+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Avid Unveils 3rd Generation Mbox

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer
    Thanks

Default Avid Unveils 3rd Generation Mbox

Mac musicians everywhere will be happy to learn that Avid has released the third generation of Mbox products. Avid has introduced a new family of Mbox products that integrates software and hardware into one elegant package. With this update, Avid continues to deliver the best professional tools for musicians on a budget.

There are currently three models of Mbox to choose from, all of which include Pro Tools LE 8. The top of the line Pro Tools Mbox Pro sells for $899 and features up to 24-bit, 192kHz sample rates, firewire connection, a built-in guitar tuner, 8x8 simultaneous recording channels, MIDI in and out and much more.

The middle child of the bunch, the Mbox, has a very similar set of features and sells for $679. The Mbox is a bit smaller, can only record 4x4 simultaneous channels of audio at a time and lacks the recording levels indicator.

The little brother of the bunch, the Mbox Mini, although small in size, is not lacking in features. It sells for $399. You can only record using 2x2 audio channels at a time, but for many situations thatís all you really need. It lacks some of the bells and whistles of its bigger brothers such as the guitar tuner and firewire. It is, however, the most portable of the bunch and can easily fit into most laptop bags.

Laptop users wanting to mix music previously had the option of using the Mbox 2 Micro. The Avid online store still carries the Mbox 2 Micro, but it is listed as ďout of stock.Ē There is no mention of a forthcoming update for this model. If Avid does decide to update this product, laptop musicians wanting the smallest possible device will still have a way to access their Pro Tools sessions on the go.

Iíve been using the original Mbox for years now and look forward to upgrading to one of these new models. Pro Tools recording software can be daunting for beginners to learn how to use, but seasoned enthusiasts will appreciate this hardware update. Iím happy to see the Mbox continue to evolve as a product and canít wait to see what Avid comes out with next.

Source: Avid

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Wiley John Wright For This Useful Post:

Agudan (09-26-2010)

Thanks
    soo what does this have to do with the price of eggs in china?
    there is no cure for this sickness

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 12jmartinez View Post
    soo what does this have to do with the price of eggs in china?
    Wtf? Lol

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

this is awesome! those interfaces look very sharp. big change from their old blue model. I'm going to look into getting one since my alesis interface is getting worn out. Thanks for this article!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    And how is this this article relevant to the modification of the iPhone, iPod and iPad?

Livin the iPhone Life JedixJarf's Avatar
    Thanks

This site is about mac modding is cool, and a lot of mac users, myself included use an Mbox. This is pretty sweet btw.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

hmm..........i wonder if this is worth getting rid of my MOTU 24 i/o

:thinks:

Thanks

Just not impressed with mbox stuff. Seems VERY overpriced for what you get. I think MOTU gear is a much better deal feature/price wise. Then again, not a fan of Pro Tools, so that pretty much explains it. For live sound however, their Venue line is the SH*T!

Thanks

Like the new look makes it look it belongs with the Mac family.

Thanks

This is great and all but I kinda assumed there was going to be an iPhone app or something... Otherwise it does seem a bit odd over here...

Since we're all off subject, I switched to a profire 610 earlier this year (from an original m-box) so I get to enjoy the best of digidesign's pro-tools as well as all other daws out there in 64-bit... I'm really diggin reaper at the moment

Edit: just read the press release and can't find any info on whether these are 64-bit compatible or not.
    Last edited by juggz143; 09-27-2010 at 11:51 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by apw100 View Post
    And how is this this article relevant to the modification of the iPhone, iPod and iPad?
    I tend to agree with this sentiment. If we review this box... what is stopping the site from reviewing other audio interfaces? MIDI interfaces? The millions of other pieces of music gear/software that comes out regularly?

I hate to be a downer, but I think we should draw the line somewhere. Not once in this article is iPhone, iPod, or iPad mentioned. This seems way off-topic.

Thanks

do you listen to music on your iphone or ipod? Gee, I wonder how music gets made......... doh!

Twitter: @tshoults

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JedixJarf View Post
    This site is about mac modding is cool, and a lot of mac users, myself included use an Mbox. This is pretty sweet btw.
    Umm, no, this site is not about modding Macs.

I too am a Mac user and former MBox owner(I have the far higher quality but non-ProTools compatible Apogee Ensemble and Duet now), but I don't think this is an appropriate topic for this site.

It's not a big deal but I would like to see Modmyi.com stay a specialized site focused on "i" modding and not wander off into Gizmodo/Engadget territory.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 888 Posts

"Welcome to ModMyi.com - your premier Apple & iPhone community. "

That is at the top of the forums. Yes MMi is a community of mainly iDevice users but it is also an all around Apple news coverage too.

Some of our members would be interested in this.

Thanks

Umm, no, this site is not about modding Macs.

I too am a Mac user and former MBox owner(I have the far higher quality but non-ProTools compatible Apogee Ensemble and Duet now), but I don't think this is an appropriate topic for this site.

It's not a big deal but I would like to see Modmyi.com stay a specialized site focused on "i" modding and not wander off into Gizmodo/Engadget territory.
    one word: iMac.

iMac's are used out the wazzu in music creation.

Twitter: @tshoults