+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 11.6-inch MacBook Airs Coming Before Year’s End?

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer
    Thanks

Default 11.6-inch MacBook Airs Coming Before Year’s End?

Before the arrival of the iPad, the MacBook Air was Apple’s answer to netbooks. Now it seems that the MacBook Air is about to be refreshed with a smaller 11.6-inch screen. If this rumor is true, it will be the smallest MacBook yet produced by Apple. Apple has shied away from the term “netbook” in the past because of the low-cost and low-quality nature of most netbooks. If this is a new MacBook Model, however, it will be difficult for Apple to call this anything but an Apple netbook.

DigiTimes reports “Quanta has reportedly landed orders for 11.6-inch MacBooks from Apple. Shipments of 11.6-inch MacBooks are expected to top 400,000-500,000 units in 2010.”

Although this statement does not specifically point to MacBook Airs, it is reasonable to assume that Apple will update the MacBook Air line in the near future. They were last updated about a year ago, and Apple has historically made MacBook update announcements in September or October.

I for one would love to see a smaller MacBook. Apple might be readying this new model for the holiday season. If this is the case Apple might want to call it the MacNetBook, but then Apple would never admit to making a netbook.

Source: MacRumors

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Wiley John Wright For This Useful Post:

CaryDude (09-25-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,875 Times in 2,214 Posts

yay sign me up for one
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Green Apple
    Thanks

call it a the new inetbook

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

I get frustrated enough with my 13" monitor when it's not hooked up to my desktop monitor, I can't imagine dealing with an 11" one.

Banned
    Thanks

Sweet. I'm hoping for the Christmas season. I don't even use optical drives. All my media is on flash drives and external drives.

Hoping for an i3 or maybe an i5 with 4 USB ports..no FireWire tho. Add 3G and it would be hella good.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

11.6"? I'll stick with my iPad kthankx

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    11.6"? I'll stick with my iPad kthankx
    Id rather have the use of a laptop..besides optical drive of course. I'm still waiting on the day a full OS will be available for a smartphone..SL on a phone..sweetness!!

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

More than the size I think the price is what is going to be important. You can't really sell a "netbook" for $1000. At least not to me...
    If it ends up in the $500 price range (yes pigs will probably fly before this happens) then I am in.

Quote Originally Posted by nerdyperdy View Post
    Id rather have the use of a laptop..besides optical drive of course. I'm still waiting on the day a full OS will be available for a smartphone..SL on a phone..sweetness!!
    I completely agree. I don't even find myself ever using an optical drive anymore except to install software.

Quote Originally Posted by domthebigbomb View Post
    call it a the new inetbook
    It's too bad the iBook is already a product of theirs
    Would have sounded really nice IMO. Maybe they can refresh it somehow

Quote Originally Posted by Wiley John Wright View Post
    Apple might want to call it the MacNetBook, but then Apple would never admit to making a netbook.
    I don't think Apple really has an aversion to making something and deeming it a netbook. All I am really aware they have said is that all netbooks currently on the market are terrible based on their standards (why their most current answer to this predicament was an iPad, which does less than many netbooks can do, is a mystery to me)
    Last edited by sziklassy; 09-24-2010 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Banned
    Thanks

I totally agree with the iBook name. I was thinking he same thing. As well as the price. Knowing apple, there prolly gonna have it priced between 750&1k and that's just not gonna fly if it's a netbook.Now,if it's 500-750...with good specs,then yea..I'm all for it.

Hope to hear more about it.

Thanks

Reasonably priced Apple? The only time that happens is when AT&T covers 2/3rds of the cost. I love my iStuff, but d*mm it's expensive!
    iPhone 4 to Android directly back to iPhone 4. I learned my lesson and will never leave iOS again.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ShredNasty View Post
    Reasonably priced Apple? The only time that happens is when AT&T covers 2/3rds of the cost. I love my iStuff, but d*mm it's expensive!
    Isn't that the truth. Wish I could get a MBP with a 2 year contract...lol

I love my iPhone but at least the stuff holds it's value. Hell,hold it better then vehicles..lol

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Just put a full os on the ipad and make it open

iPhone? More like MyPhone dale2's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nerdyperdy View Post
    Sweet. I'm hoping for the Christmas season. I don't even use optical drives. All my media is on flash drives and external drives.

Hoping for an i3 or maybe an i5 with 4 USB ports..no FireWire tho. Add 3G and it would be hella good.
    netbook with an i5?
    lol

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dale2 View Post
    netbook with an i5?
    lol
    Isn't the new Corei series supposed to be low power consumption?? The i7 runs to hot for my taste and the i5 aint nothing to shake a stick at if it's done right and hopefully Apple can do it right.

I'm still thinking of updating from my hack-pro to a MBP, but I'm starting to like the Air..Especially with the right upgrades. Maybe a Fermi card now wouldnt that be sweet..lol

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

The Alienware M11x's 11.6" display has too much bezel around it to fit comfortably in my motorcycle tank bag (LCD chassis could easily fit a 12.1" display in the same area). It looks strange, so surely Apple would never do that. If this Mac has a decent GPU, I'll be all over it!

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    More than the size I think the price is what is going to be important. You can't really sell a "netbook" for $1000. At least not to me...
    If it ends up in the $500 price range (yes pigs will probably fly before this happens) then I am in.
    Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    I don't think Apple really has an aversion to making something and deeming it a netbook. All I am really aware they have said is that all netbooks currently on the market are terrible based on their standards (why their most current answer to this predicament was an iPad, which does less than many netbooks can do, is a mystery to me)
    "We don’t know how to build a sub-$500 computer that is not a piece of junk." -Steve Jobs, 2008 in response to people asking about a Mac netbook.
    Last edited by CZroe; 09-24-2010 at 10:19 PM.

Thanks

I'm buying the 17" MacBook pro so f•ck this.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Basic examination can tell u how much this MBA will be

The highest end iPad sells for 829.99
    The Lowest end Macbook sells for 999.99

This macbook being 11.6 main focus will be portability..
    Meaning power consumption will be a main focus..Therefore apple will choose to use a low power consumption processor..Which its best option would be the i3 processor

Compared to the Macbook Pro low end model
    it sports a Intel Core 2 Duo Processor
    and it sells for $1199

That means Apple would sell this PC for more than $1199

OR

If they go the Core 2 Duo route and the typical 2GB ram

They could sell it for 1099..

I highly doubt it will sell less than the Based MacBook model, unless they stop selling it.

Thanks

I want a iTablet

Green Apple
    Thanks

I think they would call it a MacBook Lite.