+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: "All-In-One" Apple TV by 2012: Munster

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
News that Apple has signed a secret licensing deal with a company that does those scrolling program guides for digital TV has rekindled rumors about a full-blown Apple television, with
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default "All-In-One" Apple TV by 2012: Munster

News that Apple has signed a secret licensing deal with a company that does those scrolling program guides for digital TV has rekindled rumors about a full-blown Apple television, with live TV and DVR functionality, as essentially the next step after Apple TV. In particular, Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster - who has literally been saying for years that Apple was going to one day make a TV - told his clients that this is a "critical step towards an all-in-one Apple Television."

Rovi Corporation submitted a filing to the SEC yesterday as required by law, disclosing the fact that they "entered into a multi-year agreement with Apple Inc." to license some of Rovi's intellectual property. No other details are available from the filing, which states that the "specific terms of the license agreement are confidential." However, it's not hard to deduce what the deal was about when you look at what Rovi's "intellectual property" is. Formerly known as Macrovision, Rovi is the company that bought TV Guide for its information about television programs, then sold off the unprofitable dead-tree publication. Rovi markets its TotalGuide as a way to get "simple, centralized and intuitive access to multiple content types: broadcast, premium, Internet-based and personal," providing TV schedules and listings with details about programming, along with additional graphics and interactive media.

Gene Munster is a managing director and senior research analyst for the global investment bank Piper Jaffray. Munster has long been an advocate of the position that Apple is planning a move into television, and is seeing increasing evidence for that view. In a letter to his clients - disclosed by Silicon Valley Insider - Munster explained how the refreshed Apple TV was "a meaningful change in Apple’s efforts in the digital living room," and asserted that the Rovi deal is "further evidence that Apple is developing live TV and DVR features for its Apple TV product, and will likely launch an all-in-one Apple Television in the next 2-4 years." He also said that licensing Rovi technology will allow Apple "to add live TV, DVR, and guidance features to its Apple TV product, which we believe is a critical step towards an all-in-one Apple Television."

Munster says that Apple will sell 1.5 million Apple TVs next year, a dramatic increase from the 400,000 he estimates they've sold in previous years. "As consumers gain comfort with connected TVs and apps on their TVs," Munster wrote, "we believe Apple will eventually take its all-in-one philosophy to the digital living room like it has with the iMac and the iTunes ecosystem."

Source: MacRumors
    Last edited by Paul Daniel Ash; 09-21-2010 at 09:01 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

wirehedd (09-22-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

I will pass. It takes many years and lots of Research and Development to get a tv right.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Acciavatti View Post

News that Apple has signed a secret licensing deal with a company that does those scrolling program guides for digital TV has rekindled rumors about a full-blown Apple television, with live TV and DVR functionality, as essentially the next step after Apple TV. In particular, Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster - who has literally been saying for years that Apple was going to one day make a TV - told his clients that this is a "critical step towards an all-in-one Apple Television."

Rovi Corporation submitted a filing to the SEC yesterday as required by law, disclosing the fact that they "entered into a multi-year agreement with Apple Inc." to license some of Rovi's intellectual property. No other details are available from the filing, which states that the "specific terms of the license agreement are confidential." However, it's not hard to deduce what the deal was about when you look at what Rovi's "intellectual property" is. Formerly known as Macrovision, Rovi is the company that bought TV Guide for its information about television programs, then sold off the unprofitable dead-tree publication. Rovi markets its TotalGuide as a way to get "simple, centralized and intuitive access to multiple content types: broadcast, premium, Internet-based and personal," providing TV schedules and listings with details about programming, along with additional graphics and interactive media.

Gene Munster is a managing director and senior research analyst for the global investment bank Piper Jaffray. Munster has long been an advocate of the position that Apple is planning a move into television, and is seeing increasing evidence for that view. In a letter to his clients - disclosed by Silicon Valley Insider - Munster explained how the refreshed Apple TV was "a meaningful change in Apple’s efforts in the digital living room," and asserted that the Rovi deal is "further evidence that Apple is developing live TV and DVR features for its Apple TV product, and will likely launch an all-in-one Apple Television in the next 2-4 years." He also said that licensing Rovi technology will allow Apple "to add live TV, DVR, and guidance features to its Apple TV product, which we believe is a critical step towards an all-in-one Apple Television."

Munster says that Apple will sell 1.5 million Apple TVs next year, a dramatic increase from the 400,000 he estimates they've sold in previous years. "As consumers gain comfort with connected TVs and apps on their TVs," Munster wrote, "we believe Apple will eventually take its all-in-one philosophy to the digital living room like it has with the iMac and the iTunes ecosystem."

Source: MacRumors
    Look how long it has taken for apple to get the iPhone to a decent stage never mind a tv!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This is honestly what I was expecting this years AppleTV to be. Essentially a DVR replacement...with Apps. Oh well, Apple failed on this front IMO already. Who wants a box that just streams stuff. I want to be able to store stuff and watch it multiple times.

My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Thanks

Interesting and yea I expected apple to release something like this, this year but the future looks bright

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

Thanks

This isn't the first rumor that the Apple TV will be an actual TV.
    But the rumors for the ATV always disappoint when none of them are true and there are few updates to it when a new one is released.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Please don't quote the article. Scrolling takes about 0.5 sec longer.

Gotta start the ********. Waiting for the 4.1 jb has affected me
    iphone 5 16gb iOS 6.1 beta 4

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Retrolock For This Useful Post:

coolguy742 (09-22-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me coolguy742's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow, this is actually kind of cool. I would definitely buy that (if it were 3D!)

*EDIT*
    you guys at MMi really need to make your app compatible with 3.x.x! I still run 3.1.3 because 4.0 slows down my iPod (it's a 3g).
    Last edited by coolguy742; 09-22-2010 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Yeah, no thanks.
    Can't afford to buy a new tv every year to get the latest features. My expectations for my tv is a display unit. Periphials to drive the entertainment needs.
    Plus with apples pricing I am sure it will be 3x than a standalone set Nd apple tv

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

its funny because we will all be dead by 2012, or maybe not since they hold their apple events in september,so we will at least be able to enjoy this TV for 2 months or more

Thanks

An over price tv. Great