+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google Music Service To Challenge iTunes Dominance

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Google is now courting major music labels for their proposed new music service, Google Music. Their proposed new music service will include the usual digital downloads, but also expand on
    MMi Staff Writer
    Thanks

Default Google Music Service To Challenge iTunes Dominance

Google is now courting major music labels for their proposed new music service, Google Music. Their proposed new music service will include the usual digital downloads, but also expand on the iTunes model to include a subscription cloud-based “digital locker.” Many have wondered if and when iTunes would venture into the cloud, now it seems that Google is set to get there first.

According to industry insiders, the proposed music service would resemble the familiar iTunes business model, but would expand this service to include cloud-based music storage. It is said that users would be able to download songs, and for a $25 yearly fee, be able to store their songs in a “digital locker.” Then users would be able to stream their music to any internet-connected device. Also, users of the service would be able to listen to full-track streams of any song one time before purchasing, then previews would revert back to the usual 30-second sample.

The most intriguing feature of Google Music is its ability to scan a subscriber’s hard drive for music. Every music track licensed to Google would then be accessible to the user though their “digital locker.” The scan of the user’s hard drive would not differentiate where the tracks came from originally, but would allow users to listen to those songs as if they purchased them though Google Music in the first place.

If Google is able to get a majority of the Music exec’s to go along with their new music service, it would be a real contender to iTunes’ dominance. The music industry is notoriously difficult to deal with at times, especially when new technology is involved. We’ll see if Google has the negotiating skills to pull off a deal of this magnitude, the way Steve Jobs has been able to, time and time again. If Google Music does see the light of day in this proposed form, it will be a real treat for music lovers everywhere. How awesome would that be: to finally be able to access music from anywhere, at any time.

Source: Billboard

iPhone? More like MyPhone madczech's Avatar
    Thanks

this is great news!!! but I guess it will never be a replacement for itunes for those iDevice owners, but a cool enhancement to the way we listen to music! Ill guess there will be an app for this just kiddin, Apple wouldn't let this happen
    I don't give a damn about Chuck Norris, Spongebob can grill under water!

Thanks

Honestly being able to not have to store my music on my computer and be able to listen to it anywhere is incredibly attractive. I will be very curious to see if Google can pull this off cause it definitely seams a little controversial (being able to have access to your pirated music anywhere in the world and all ). I'm also curious to know if this would be done through a separate application (googleTunes?) or some type of webapp, guess we'll find out soon enough.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I love the idea and think it could def overcome iTunes, the only thing is that everyone and their mother has iTunes. People need to except change, especially for the better!!!!!
    Peace

Quote Originally Posted by madczech View Post
    this is great news!!! but I guess it will never be a replacement for itunes for those iDevice owners, but a cool enhancement to the way we listen to music! Ill guess there will be an app for this just kiddin, Apple wouldn't let this happen
    Jailbreak....
    Last edited by Nelly998; 09-16-2010 at 02:17 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Let's hope google is able to pull this off...not like some other White elephant project. It'll be a real delight to be able to also listen in on the go without having to bother about the quality or storage capacity or type of device one has.

However, to make this truly compete with iTunes, google needs to make it completely free to listen, but to download, you then need to pay. Kinda like 'spotify' except you won't have to pay a subscription to listen on your mobile device. Google would still make loads from iAds...

Green Apple
    Thanks

If google pulls this off, i have an income and the pricing is reasonable. i would really consider paying for the songs. I mean its good rite, able to listen to music freely without worrying whether you might get caught pirating.Supporting your favourite artists as well. The digital locker is really attractive since nowadays, people change computers often

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

How will this make these songs work on the iPhone. I guess as they are not being stored then there is no syncing involved, then you would data acce in the device al the time.

So how do listen to music in e.g a plane?
    This cloud idea is only makes sense for desktops

Green Apple
    Thanks

I would sign up for such subscription, I'm quite sick of Apple's dominance to be honest so yeah go go go GooGle Music

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alirz View Post
    How will this make these songs work on the iPhone. I guess as they are not being stored then there is no syncing involved, then you would data acce in the device al the time.

So how do listen to music in e.g a plane?
    This cloud idea is only makes sense for desktops
    As said in the article, it'll be cloud-based only if you pay $25 a year. And even then, you'll still get digital downloads, because that's the base of the service.

Thanks

I can only wonder where this will end up...
    The toilet

Sent from my iPod touch using ModMyi
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    I can only wonder where this will end up...
    The toilet

Sent from my iPod touch using ModMyi
    Doubt it, do you realize how big google is!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

good luck google in trying to make me pay for something that i can already do with my iphone & pc at home nice try hahahahahaha.

Thanks

I think the digital locker was only available for the songs that are bought with google so pirated music won't be allowed. At least that's how I understood the article.

Green Apple
    Thanks

If I'm not mistaken isn't pirated music just as bad as cracked apps?! Stealing is stealing! And to the user that stated it's free to do from a computer your right but you only have so much space on your comp why not have more room for other things like photos and programs than hog it up with music.

Banned
    Thanks

Good luck dealing with the blood sucking music labels. We're still waiting for the 60 second preview in iTunes store. They had to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 20th century to sell digital media. Now to subscribe to listen to music that I've already downloaded and paid for and have on my devices already is a bit rich though. I already have my tunes on my pc and on my iphone so what's the benefit? Only if I travel and can't take my tunes with me. What's the incentive to change over? What if I have a prepaid phone, I have to buy more tunes in my google account and pay again to stream and listen to my tunes, again. Pay and pay and pay music service. I already have an iTunes account so now I have to have a google account too? And I can't upload the tunes I've already paid for. This would only work with devices with little or no storage capacity. Whether it's google or apple, I won't be changing my ways just to make more money for rich companies.
    Last edited by Tyronal; 09-16-2010 at 07:16 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mastaryan View Post
    I think the digital locker was only available for the songs that are bought with google so pirated music won't be allowed. At least that's how I understood the article.
    Think you are right:

Every music track licensed to Google would then be accessible to the user though their “digital locker.”

My iPhone is a Part of Me coolguy742's Avatar
    Thanks

"This is the ultimate showdown, the ultimate destiny
    Good guys, bad guys, explosions, as far as the eye can see"
    lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zozodouce View Post
    good luck google in trying to make me pay for something that i can already do with my iphone & pc at home nice try hahahahahaha.
    I agree.....and most things can be torrented these days. Sure you risk the "legal" issue and possibly bad and/or improperly named tracks but to me it would be worth it if you're willing.
    Though we all look different on the outside, we all bleed the same on the inside

iPhone? More like MyPhone sandstorm77's Avatar
    Thanks

Perhaps there will be a web app compatible with the iPhone/Ipad

Thanks

if Google directors think I would ever aloud they to snoop into my harddrive to give the RIAA folks information about what I'm listening and how they must be on dope!