+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Updates iTunes Movie Trailers Page to HTML5

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer
    Thanks

Default Apple Updates iTunes Movie Trailers Page to HTML5

Apple has rewritten the iTunes Movie Trailers page to take advantage of the HTML5 standard that it has been promoting for some time. HTML5 is Apple’s answer to Adobe’s Flash. The two companies continue to do battle over which is the superior standard.

By updating its movie trailer page, Apple has once again asserted the benefits of HTML5 in a simple and effective way. Apple has chosen to use HTML5 over Flash because it is an open standard, and Flash makes portable devices slow and almost unusable. Flash was designed for desktop computers, unfortunately, portable device manufacturers are having problems getting it to run smoothly on their products.

The slick new design of the iTunes Movie Trailer page makes it easy to watch movie trailers, then choose local theaters and showtimes, using Google Maps. All content on the page is accessible to every iOS device, as well as every web browser that supports HTML5. From the homepage, you are presented with a grid of different upcoming movies. Most movies get a custom-themed page that captures their tone quite nicely. You can then “Get Tickets” and the site links you to Fandango.com. If tickets are not available, you will see “Ticket Info” and be taken to the theater’s website instead.

Earlier today, I was in a waiting room and decided to watch a few movie previews. I was only getting two bars of 3G signal on my iPhone 4, but was still able to access the iTunes Movie Trailers site without any glitches. The resolution of the previews was scaled down, but I was pleasantly surprised given the poor reception. I look forward to more websites adopting HTML5 so iPhone owners can stop seeing web pages that ask you to install Flash.

Source: AppleInsider

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Wiley John Wright For This Useful Post:

reaves205 (09-04-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone lbroskee's Avatar
    Thanks

i still see the old one...

Thanks

Well the Google Maps integration looks pretty cool.
    I could see that being quite useful if all I have on me is my iPhone.

Green Apple
    Thanks

nice update

Banned
    Thanks

*edit* I was looking in itunes movie trailers not the apple website. I forgot, what's flash again? Oh, that bloated web plugin that acts like a full on program. Glad apple didn't go with flash, I couldn't stand my iphone browser crashing all the time or bogging down my processor speed.
    Last edited by Tyronal; 09-04-2010 at 01:54 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone macsoldier's Avatar
    Thanks

yea it is a nice update, plus I think there is a great chance we will see this come out on other web pages pretty fast since web browsing overall has pretty much gone to mobile devices.

Thanks

wow, I'm so surprised
    /sarcasm
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Thanks
    Thanked 1,734 Times in 857 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tyronal View Post
    *edit* I was looking in itunes movie trailers not the apple website. I forgot, what's flash again? Oh, that bloated web plugin that acts like a full on program. Glad apple didn't go with flash, I couldn't stand my iphone browser crashing all the time or bogging down my processor speed.
    Flash is that thing that iPhone hardware isn't optimized for, so that's somehow Flash's fault (lol). Just because Steve Jobs turns his Eye of Mordor at Flash doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it.

He's like a magician/ politician: "If you would please direct your glaze towards that sparkly object OVER THERE..." he seems to command, all the while the iPhone passes unseen behind the curtain.

It's a tactic that's been used in politics for a long time. I understand why some people fall for it though (I was ignorant of such things once).

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jahooba For This Useful Post:

rocky5 (09-04-2010), Shishir G (09-04-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    Flash is that thing that iPhone hardware isn't optimized for, so that's somehow Flash's fault (lol). Just because Steve Jobs turns his Eye of Mordor at Flash doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it.

He's like a magician/ politician: "If you would please direct your glaze towards that sparkly object OVER THERE..." he seems to command, all the while the iPhone passes unseen behind the curtain.

It's a tactic that's been used in politics for a long time. I understand why some people fall for it though (I was ignorant of such things once).
    Nice to see a non-idiot on these forums for once.

Thanks

Besides the HTML5 I am sure design wise it works better on iPads. It isn't exactly iPhone/iPod Touch friendly. I am not sure what it is with Apple and their lack of mobile online offerings towards iPhones/iPods (outside of apps).
    "To unpathed waters, undreamed shores." -- William Shakespeare

Thanks

There's been animosity between Apple and Adobe flash for a while.
    And what Steve Jobs is doing is just part of the business world, trying to dissuade consumers on something that the company disagrees with.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Loads super fast on firefox, but uses quicktime plugin for IE. making IE run like garbage. (more than usual)
    no spam

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

html5 > flash

im no fan boi, I've been pretty bummed with some of apples directions as of late, but imo jobs is on the right side of this argument

Thanks

Default seriously apple?!?
    has anybody else experienced movie rental prices.. should we say.. a little out of my budget to rent a movie.

screenshot: Screen shot 2010-09-04 at 8.14.28 PM | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

really? if i wanted to pay over $10 to watch a movie the bottoms of my shoes should be getting stuck to the floor, and the chair im sitting in should recline just enough to say it reclines but not yet get the whole lounged out feeling.
    i dont know where apple gets the idea that ANYBODY can charge that much for a movie rental and get away with it. I certainly WILL NOT pay for this. even though i want to see the movie. ill just have to wait til it comes out in theater

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dajonu View Post
    has anybody else experienced movie rental prices.. should we say.. a little out of my budget to rent a movie.

screenshot: Screen shot 2010-09-04 at 8.14.28 PM | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

really? if i wanted to pay over $10 to watch a movie the bottoms of my shoes should be getting stuck to the floor, and the chair im sitting in should recline just enough to say it reclines but not yet get the whole lounged out feeling.
    i dont know where apple gets the idea that ANYBODY can charge that much for a movie rental and get away with it. I certainly WILL NOT pay for this. even though i want to see the movie. ill just have to wait til it comes out in theater
    I think you'll find the prices are negotiated with the distributors just as music prices are set by the music label houses. Apple has to agree to a set price and a percentage amount built in. Anyone remember the music industry holding "E" merchants to ransom over wanting payment for 30 seconds of preview/sample songs? Everybody's greedy in this.

I think also you'll find the movies won't be available to rent until after they've been in a theatre, not before.

So for the same price of 1 movie ticket, you can rent the movie, watch it in the comfort of your own home, invite 10 friends over (as long as they bring beer) which works out at $1 per head, plus you don't have to endure screaming kids or chattering teens and mobile phone calls and you can drink your beer and eat whatever you want without paying over the top food prices, or the cost of gas to drive to the theatre and having to find a car space. A visit to a theatre for me and my kids would see me out almost $70-$80 with food and drink. $10 for that in my own home and at a time of my choosing, that isn't all that bad........ $10 as opposed to $70-$80 makes budgetary sense to me.
    Last edited by Tyronal; 09-04-2010 at 10:13 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shishir G View Post
    Nice to see a non-idiot on these forums for once.
    Us "idiots" are really sorry we didn't agree with you on the flash/html 5 discussion...its nice to see a humble person on these forums for once though............................................ ............

19. The Following User Says Thank You to steve-z17 For This Useful Post:

Tyronal (09-04-2010)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post

Looks like your ignorance hasn't taken a holiday just yet. The world of web design wouldn't agree with you, at all. HTML5 isn't just about apple, it is about open standards and getting content to ALL platforms not just a few. The web is changing, maturing but adobe flash hasn't grown up. Only a couple of mobile os's support flash and then only a lite version. Multi content delivery is coming and flash is caught sitting on its duff, again. FYI flash isn't even written for iphone so that old chestnut is getting old and tired. Seeing as you're a windows user you wouldn't understand how bad flash is on any other platform, even mobile phones, it just doesn't work properly and is a hugh security risk. Here's the scoop, IT IS ONLY A STUPID PLUGIN not an operating system but it uses hardware resources like it is one. And a poor one at that. Adobe has only cared to optimise flash for windows, that's it and adobe have chosen to sleepwalk their way through the ever changing standards that make up the world wide web. Why use a cpu hog to encode and display formats inside a container inside a browser when you can do it right in the browser? Flash is for babies who love stupid games and pimple faced teens who can't grow up. The arrogance of adobe not to transform it has left it out in the cold. Get over it, flash will soon join the floppy disc and commodore 64. But why try and convince a flash fanboy. Hey, there's this great religion you'd be into too. It's called scientology.

You know, if you don't like it, you have a choice you know, or did someone hold a gun to your head when you bought your iphone?

The forums are drowning with anti apple trolls today.
    Last edited by Tyronal; 09-05-2010 at 12:10 AM.