Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: O NOES! iTunes 10 Doesn't Let You Pay For Ringtones

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default O NOES! iTunes 10 Doesn't Let You Pay For Ringtones

People who had gotten used to making ringtones by paying Apple again for a song they'd already bought were dismayed to find that the feature had been removed from iTunes 10. MacLife's Roberto Baldwin wrote one of the first of many reports about the absence of the "Create Ringtone" option on the Store menu. However, the end-around many of us have been using for years - clipping tracks and changing .m4u extensions to .m4r - works fine with iTunes 10, so the change just seems to affect the folks who have been falling for the double-payment scam all this time.

If you are just hearing about this scam now, my apologies. Take a look at one1's how-to right here; it's really easy and works with any song, not just ones you purchased from Apple. The only difference with iTunes 10 is that it won't work if you drag the .m4r into the iTunes Music window or the Ringtones folder. However, if you just double-click the file in the Finder, it will be appear in your Ringtones folder and be added to your iPhone at the next sync.

Apple has given no reason for the change, though some suspect it's because the company is going to start selling ringtones itself on the iTunes store.

Source: FSM
    Last edited by Paul Daniel Ash; 09-03-2010 at 12:44 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

Andre8521 (09-03-2010), reaves205 (09-03-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
    Thanks

Lol I've always made my own ringtones, and now I'm stuck with an unjailbreakable iphone4 that is the only thing I can customise lol.
    But thankyou for the post, I wouldn't have known how to do it in iTunes 10 next time I want to otherwise

iPhone4 16gb black - 4.1 Limera1ned
    iPhone 3G 16gb white - 3.1.2 jailbroken
    Blackra1ned
    THANKYOU ONCE AGAIN GEOHOT!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to iNT3Rv3NTiONZz For This Useful Post:

Andre8521 (09-03-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life screamforme02's Avatar
    Thanks

i just made another custom ringtone like 5 mins ago. Justice - Genesis, such a bad ars track
    Hey! A Restore Never Hurts It's True!

Even easier is just clipping the song in garageband and clicking the "Create Ringtone" button.

two words: Garageband.

Oh noes!!! apple says it's one word!!! must bow down to their mighty powerzz!!!!!

Twitter: @tshoults

Or create it and drag the file to your Ringtones folder on your iPhone. It will be listed with your default ring tones (like installing one through Cydia) instead of showing up in the custom section.

tim

Maybe Apple noticed everyone making their own by changing the extension so they said screw it.

Never bought a ringtone through iTunes. Always made my own through iTunes

I will never buy a ringtone from Apple. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

iPhone? More like MyPhone macsoldier's Avatar
    Thanks

Yea I was a sucker to this double payment crap until I wised up and was like hmm this sucks lol

I bought on from apple once. by accident.

Twitter: @tshoults

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't mind. Never made them in iTunes anyway. GarageBand!!!
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

Is garageBand available on PC as well?

This function never worked in Canada, so I'm not crying

Sent from my iPod touch using ModMyi
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

iPhone? More like MyPhone yentrog31's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by punjabi212 View Post
    Is garageBand available on PC as well?
    I always made my RT's on windows thru iRinger,works like a charm and it's free.

On iTunes I used the method described in above post..not sure it will work now.
    "It takes a rare thing, a turning point, to free oneself from any obsession. Be it prejudice or hate, or, even love"

18. The Following User Says Thank You to yentrog31 For This Useful Post:

punjabi212 (09-03-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by screamforme02 View Post
    i just made another custom ringtone like 5 mins ago. Justice - Genesis, such a bad ars track

Justice... You could never go wrong with such a good artist like that for custom ringtones...
    I have about 8 Justice custom ringtones

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I just had to get my iPhone replaced cuz the mike was unreaoonsive due to faulty headphones and/or something getting caught in the plugin- either way now I have 4.0.2 n I'm miserable....
    I haven't had an unjailbroken phone since the first day i purchased a 3G... How do I operate without SBSettings??? Lifes almost not worth living!! (hyperbole!)

Oh anyway why I replied was that I am happy I can still make my ringtones but I'm still upset icant go into the phone via ssh and change my SMS tones....
    I was all excited when I realized how it was done... Now I'm stuck...
    I should sell this massive paperweight!!

Buying ringtones (and wallpapers). Cell phone companies still get people to fall for it, why not Apple. Luckily I am wise, not gullible.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    "To unpathed waters, undreamed shores." -- William Shakespeare

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

let the complaining begin

Apple couldn't get the music labels to agree to the free ringtones. The labels are greedy & wanted the additional cash flow. At least Apple let users BUY their ringtones. Other mobile providers only allow their customers to RENT their ringtones. Thereby, they lose them after a few months or have to pay again. Usually the rental fee is more than Apple's $0.99

Cheers !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast