+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Why No Facebook Support in Ping?

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Many Apple users worldwide have spent some time scratching their heads over the new iTunes feature called Ping. Apple's so-called "social network for music" is supposed to let users follow
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Why No Facebook Support in Ping?

Many Apple users worldwide have spent some time scratching their heads over the new iTunes feature called Ping. Apple's so-called "social network for music" is supposed to let users follow artists and bands, as well as find out what their friends are listening to. However, there's no way to connect with friends, other than spamming them with email, because despite the fact that Facebook interconnectivity is still - up to this moment - advertised on Apple's site, Ping still doesn't have it. Steve Jobs blames Facebook, claiming they wanted too much.

In an interview by Kara Swisher at All Things D, Jobs says Apple was in talks with Facebook over Ping, but the two companies were unable to come to an agreement. He was quoted as saying Facebook wanted "onerous terms that we could not agree to." When Swisher asked what the hangup was, Jobs declined to elaborate. She pressed him on whether iTunes could support Facebook Connect to allow sharing between the two platforms. The Apple CEO was noncommittal. 'We could, I guess,' he shrugged.

It seems pretty clear that the hooks were in for Facebook support, and that they were only pulled at the very last minute when negotiations broke down, as Facebook connectivity was touted on slides during Steve Jobs's presentation yesterday. The tutorial video on Ping promises that "once you get set up, you can find your Facebook friends who have Ping profiles," and the Ping page on Apple's website says you can "find even more music fans with a quick search, by sending email invites, or by connecting to your Facebook account." And according to several Cult of Mac readers, the Facebook Connect button appeared on Ping yesterday, though it didn't allow them to find any friends.

Steve Jobs bragged about the "160 million credit cards" Apple has on file through iTunes, so maybe he's trying to make sure he doesn't have to share too much of the booty with Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg. Whatever the cause, it'd be surprising if Apple remains aloof much longer. Having a Ping page right now is like having a fax machine in the early 70s: useless unless you can find someone else who has one. Whether Jobs likes it or not, Facebook and other social media platforms like Twitter are how people find each other these days.

Source: AppleInsider
    Last edited by Paul Daniel Ash; 09-02-2010 at 12:19 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

reaves205 (09-02-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Eagleye's Avatar
    Thanks

Thats the worst when Apple advertises a feature and then later it gets pulled. Who wants to spam ppl to "follow" you on Ping? I know I dont. This kind of reminds me of the iPad ad when they load up the New York Times page and the Flash video apparently loads up great. Then later, they replaced it with the horrible blue lego. Now, the facebook connect button is gonna be replaced with "Spam your friends!"

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Eagleye For This Useful Post:

sikdaz (09-02-2010)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

hummm apple not being able to reach an agreement with another company. surprise? not to me.
    Yeah, you'll be the coolest person in the room when you pull one out and show it around, but that gets old fast when three other people have them and one person somehow has one that glows in the dark.
    John C. Dvorak
    The American columnist and broadcaster in article 'Rethinking the iPhone' in PC Magazine.

Thanks

Too bad. FaceBook support would have help Ping's success a lot

Thanks

Apple is a market who is just deemed for success. To he honest it would have helped facebook alot more than it would of apple. Let's be real

- Iphone 3GS
    - 4.0 Beta 3 Installed

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bxbrova718 For This Useful Post:

friscosooner (09-02-2010)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bxbrova718 View Post
    Apple is a market who is just deemed for success. To he honest it would have helped facebook alot more than it would of apple. Let's be real
    how please tell me? do you really think ping is gonna take off so fast that people will forget about facebook? doubt it yea apple is on point with the ipod iphone ipad market but imo has no room to "compete" with facebook in a social network war. I for one will not be emailing all of my friends to follow me on ping.
    Yeah, you'll be the coolest person in the room when you pull one out and show it around, but that gets old fast when three other people have them and one person somehow has one that glows in the dark.
    John C. Dvorak
    The American columnist and broadcaster in article 'Rethinking the iPhone' in PC Magazine.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to robbpell For This Useful Post:

sikdaz (09-02-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Why do you people bother me with this crap. I try to make you happy, but no, you just want to ***** and complain, how I want to take over people lives and do things my way. Will your right... I'm a big douchebag but got to my products. Lol just jk

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

I really don't mind emailing a few friends... My facebook is so watered down with people I hardly know. It might not be such a bad thing adding only people u really want to follow. And if u have someones email address, then u probably r some what close to them, and would like to see what music they r listening too.
    El Zurdo

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thumbs down Tried to download it on myspace no sucess
    Tried to download it on myspace no sucess

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I will always see Itunes as a music player/Ipod manager. I just wish apple would focus on just that. I don't want a bloated Itunes that does it all but takes 10 minutes to load. No i'm not going to upgrade my system to keep up with the software.

Thanks

Definitely need to connect Ping with Facebook, but I'm not sure at all how the best way to do it is. I mean, it should be more than just one of those jenky Facebook apps that are annoying as hell, but should be something more than just a list of 10 songs a person like that are also available on iTunes.

Thanks

Haha it doesn't matter either way to me, I don't have a facebook!
    And yes I may be the only person to have a Ping but not a facebook.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to zoso10 For This Useful Post:

soulthoughts (09-02-2010)

Thanks

Ping will go nowhere without Faceboook, and as of right now has no content anyway. If I remember correctly it doesn't even index music you haven't bought or at least viewed in the iTunes store. What about my massive list of play counts since 2003, Steve? Those don't matter eh?

F*ck Ping, i'll stick with last.fm and scrobbling, thanks.
    Anybody want a 32GB Mint Condition Black JB Unlocked 3GS? PM me with offers.

iPhone? More like MyPhone macsoldier's Avatar
    Thanks

I wonder what facebook side of the story is or even the contract details and price, should be public since it was on the ping site people deserve to know what happend in full detail

Thanks

Ping is a little bad. It needs f connect

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    When the police want to know where someone is, they ask apple.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

instead of all this ping business, apple should allow facebook to intergrate music. ie link fb accounts with itunes and show fav music etc on the fb page, not apple making their own.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Jobs claims they wanted too much...
    How does it feel with the shoes on the other foot Jobs!
    I hope they stay separate, people can just use Facebook if they want them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    I hope they stay separate, people can just use Facebook if they want them.
    Wat? Ping will go nowhere if you have to spam your friends to join. It has to connect with something or it's going to be an apocalyptic failure. Without facebook it's just a sadder, ******** last.fm.
    Anybody want a 32GB Mint Condition Black JB Unlocked 3GS? PM me with offers.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to reanimationxp For This Useful Post:

Eagleye (09-02-2010)

Thanks

The facebook thing worked for me last night, but when i woke up it was gone
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zoso10 View Post
    Haha it doesn't matter either way to me, I don't have a facebook!
    And yes I may be the only person to have a Ping but not a facebook.
    Nope. Count me in that bunch. No facebook either.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to soulthoughts For This Useful Post:

zoso10 (09-02-2010)