Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Unveils New 80% Smaller Apple TV for just $99

Thanks

Default Apple Unveils New 80% Smaller Apple TV for just $99

As rumored, Apple today unveiled the latest Apple TV at a breakthrough new price of just $99. The new device is designed to radically simplify the digital media experience by removing the internal hard-drive and moving entirely to streaming content from Apple or your computer. The change in format has also allowed Apple to make the device 80% smaller; with a new form factor of 3.9” x 3.9” by .9” thick. As with all of Apple’s latest mobile offerings, the Apple TV has moved to the A4 processor found in the iPad and iPhone 4 (and just released iPod Touch). As rumored the new device also includes live streaming from Netflix, Youtube, MobileMe and Flickr, through native apps.

One expected new feature is the ability to use an iPhone or iPod touch as a remote control, using Apple’s free Remote app. Apple has pre-announced one new feature for the iOS 4.2 update that will allow the iPad to stream video content directly to a network connected Apple TV. This feature, however, will not be available until the launch of iOS 4.2 for iPad sometime in November 2010.

As originally rumored, the new Apple TV also retains the maximum output resolution of 720p, and appears to be running the iOS software. While the device boasts of several new features it also poses some new limitations. The newest offering loses some key features like component output and a built-in hard drive. This will be a disadvantage to end-users who have slow or outdated networks, as all content needs to stream in real-time over the wired/wireless network. This will also require networked computers to be turned on and awake for streaming to function over the network.

Apple has drastically reduced the price-points on some content, and is shifting to a rental-only model for television shows and Hollywood movies. Not all TV networks are participating in the new pricing model, initially only Fox and ABC are offering TV rentals at $.99. First run HD movies are priced at $4.99 the same day as DVD rentals, and older titles reducing to $3.99.

The Apple TV ships in late September, and is available for pre-order today at the Apple Online Store.
    Apple TV (at Apple.com)

Last edited by Brian Fox; 09-01-2010 at 01:12 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Brian Fox For This Useful Post:

reaves205 (09-01-2010)

Wonder what kind of DRM this is using if they've actually conviced studios to show first-run movies?
    I never thought I'd say this, but could this actually be a case of DRM being a good thing for end-users?

iPhone? More like MyPhone macsoldier's Avatar
    Thanks

Im stuck deciding about this one, depends if somebody pms me a better setup to make the cable bill cheaper and the idea of a sling box, ive never done it before so it would be nice.

I found it funny he talked about storage (that no one wants to think about it) yet everyone who owns iPods/iPhones/iPads/Mac Books generally want more storage.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    "To unpathed waters, undreamed shores." -- William Shakespeare

iPhone? More like MyPhone Daerid's Avatar
    Thanks

I wonder if it will run current iOS capable apps like AirVideo and Plex. If so, this will be a huge win for me with my streaming video environment I already have setup at home. Just place one of these at each TV and run the media server off of my Mac Mini.

Here's to wishful thinking.

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

They made it much better than what it was but I don't think it revolutionizes tv though. Love the new prices and it's size. Black looks much better
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

Quote Originally Posted by macsoldier View Post
    Im stuck deciding about this one, depends if somebody pms me a better setup to make the cable bill cheaper and the idea of a sling box, ive never done it before so it would be nice.
    yes please

yes please
    Last edited by greek.guy; 09-01-2010 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

A 720p max resolution = failure. Plan and simple. This is 2010.

yes please

Can it stream MKV HD bluray files off my PC?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

time to preorder

Any news on an OS update for the current line of Apple TVs?
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

Quote Originally Posted by saunupe1911 View Post
    A 720p max resolution = failure. Plan and simple. This is 2010.
    for streaming? This is completely par for other streaming devices. I wouldn't say it = failure. Even on cable channels that offer 1080p... there's no difference to 720p... both signals are compressed HD just like all HD streaming.
    Really?

Nice, this is what ive been hoping for in the apple tv
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

I'm disappointed that it looks like it will not allow the download of other 3rd party media apps like Hulu+.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    I'm disappointed that it looks like it will not allow the download of other 3rd party media apps like Hulu+.
    I agree

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

I'll have to stick with my PS3 which integrates Hulu+ and TVersity for everything else.

I don't have the original appleTV. My question is does it play avi files.? Or do I have to convert **** to appletv format.

Quote Originally Posted by eurocivic View Post
    I don't have the original appleTV. My question is does it play avi files.? Or do I have to convert **** to appletv format.
    With the current Apple TV, you have to have it in an iTunes format. If you hack it, it'll play most video files.
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

$99 in the US and 99 in UK, wtf...
    Should be 60, rip off.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast