Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Unveils New 80% Smaller Apple TV for just $99

My iPhone is a Part of Me zinjen's Avatar
    Thanks

I didn't read anywhere about it saying no 1080p streaming available? Are we assuming this or am I missing something?
    Don't forget to hit the thanks button if you liked what I said or did

Quote Originally Posted by zinjen View Post
    I didn't read anywhere about it saying no 1080p streaming available? Are we assuming this or am I missing something?
    720P only, just like the original AppleTV.

If new AppleTV had apps, I would have bought it in a heartbeat. In fact, I was ready to buy it (based on the incorrect rumors).

Apps would have made this a killer device. Still not understanding why Apple wouldn't go that route. This is what we really want.

w00master

If it's all streaming then why is there USB? Will we be able to play content off of an external Hard drive?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spiderguy84 View Post
    If it's all streaming then why is there USB? Will we be able to play content off of an external Hard drive?
    I don't see a USB port

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I have q fee qyrions, but since the Apple website has crashed in my iPad 4 times in 2 minutes, I think I'll ask them here.

These Netflix movies and TV shows we rent, are we able to download them onto our PC? (Since there is no longer an internal HDD? Also, the movies on your comouterr, do they have t use the mo4 container? All my 300+ movies are mkv!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zinjen View Post
    I don't see a USB port
    Lol, you need to look harder at your picture.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

I think it's cool.... Just don't think it's amazing. I really hate the idea of "renting" tv shows, I really don't mind commercials that much! And no storage? That's just lame. People like collecting libraries of media, at least I do.

Can I use it to stream the videos I download off of thepiratebay, that would be very useful.... And $99, not bad... Or spend that money on a slingbox?... Hmmm
    El Zurdo

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by greatcapp View Post
    Lol, you need to look harder at your picture.
    That's a micro-USB isn't it? Not standard.

Quote Originally Posted by eg6motion View Post
    for streaming? This is completely par for other streaming devices. I wouldn't say it = failure. Even on cable channels that offer 1080p... there's no difference to 720p... both signals are compressed HD just like all HD streaming.
    Yeah, that's OK for streaming. But I wonder if it will choke on a 1080p or high bitrate 720p MKV or M2TS. The current Apple TV does

This thing needs more CPU power, along with the announced added features

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iLoveWindows&iPhone View Post
    I think it's cool.... Just don't think it's amazing. I really hate the idea of "renting" tv shows, I really don't mind commercials that much! And no storage? That's just lame. People like collecting libraries of media, at least I do.

Can I use it to stream the videos I download off of thepiratebay, that would be very useful.... And $99, not bad... Or spend that money on a slingbox?... Hmmm

Can someone answer this? I have TONS AND TONS of videos on my external....I stream them using MediaLink to my PS3. Will I be able to do this with APPLE TV?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have the 160gb apple tv and I like it. I have all my movies,music,and photos on it. I'm actually thinking about keeping it and buying the new one for another room.

"The Chuck Bass of Theming" k.nitsua's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,214 Times in 2,596 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jaynoonan View Post
    Can someone answer this? I have TONS AND TONS of videos on my external....I stream them using MediaLink to my PS3. Will I be able to do this with APPLE TV?
    The only way I can see this being possible is to have that external hooked up to your PC and stream with Apple TV.

I have almost 2 TB worth of content that I watch on my HDTV via either my Xbox360 or my Vaio Notebook. Lately, I've been using Hulu desktop instead of watching cable (which I'm still paying for ONLY for live sports events - Football, WSOP, etc.)

This product is an 80% fail for me... I am NOT going to pay to rent TV shows and I barely watch movies as it is. I'm still buying it since its only $99 and seems like it will have a much easier interface for streaming for the non-techies in my family.

The ONLY feature I'm digging about this product is the AirPlay integration. That seems pretty cool, and practical.

Here's to hoping for a jailbreak... the rumor regarding using iOS apps was one that was an instant buy for me...
    Last edited by k.nitsua; 09-01-2010 at 05:30 PM.
    #eli7e revived me

Very nice and I am with SB on it is time to Pre-Order this bad boy and retire my old AppleTV or move it to another room.

Quote Originally Posted by jaynoonan View Post
    I don't think anyone quite yet knows the answer to that BUT I will tell you what I use.
    I use cinematube. It plays basically everything I throw at it. MKV, iso, bluray iso, avi etc etc.

If you can hook it up wired to your network it's great. My brother does this and streams all his stuff from his computer and uses playon for webservice stuff.
    cinematube doesn't come with netflix and such native like appletv does it's mostly for playing files.

Roku I hear is good if you want streaming stuff too and cheaper than the new appletv.

But the fact that this thing CAN'T do 1080p is bs. I understand limits in online streaming but in network from your comp or using a HDD you should have that option. It's pretty, the interface is slick BUT I think there are better options.

All I want it something to stream my MKV, AVI, MP4 videos with. PS3 Media Server is too unreliable half the time. I am not converting all my movies into iTunes either. Hmpfffffff

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks
    Apple TV can be easily replaced with a $40 cable from BestBuy. Hook your TV up to your comp and presto!

Not everyone's computer is in the same room as their tv they like to watch movies on.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Daerid's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bencjedi View Post
    Can it stream MKV HD bluray files off my PC?
    Plex can. That's why I'm waiting to see if it is a true iOS that will allow AppStore apps.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Daerid For This Useful Post:

bencjedi (09-02-2010)

"Video formats

H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
    MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
    Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format"

these are the specs from apple website. no avi support? wtf? everything supports avi. Huge Fail! this will fail like the original apple tv.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast