+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple in the Living Room: Netflix and 99-Cent TV Shows

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Apple will announce 99-cent rentals of TV shows from US broadcasters Fox and ABC at today's event, according to the Wall Street Journal . The Journal's report last night said
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple in the Living Room: Netflix and 99-Cent TV Shows

Apple will announce 99-cent rentals of TV shows from US broadcasters Fox and ABC at today's event, according to the Wall Street Journal. The Journal's report last night said that some Fox execs are worried about the pricing, but are going along with it as an "experiment" and to strengthen the relationship with Apple. Also, Bloomberg is reporting that the new $99 Apple TV expected to be announced today will be able to stream content from Netflix. Users would have to pay a monthly subscription fee of $8.99 for the service.

The Wall Street Journal's report, quoting the usual "people familiar with the matter," claimed that there was significant debate inside Fox about getting involved in Apple’s proposed Apple TV plans. The doubters are said to believe that the scheme might cause them to lose money by moving the TV business away from the traditional ad-based model. In the end, though, News Corp. which owns Fox – like Disney which owns ABC and has Steve Jobs as a major shareholder – decided to get on board as "a way to experiment with new pricing and distribution for TV shows," as the Journal report put it. Other major US TV networks like NBC and CBS are likely going to wait and see how the "experiment" goes before getting involved.

The TV content would be viewable on any computer or mobile device that can run iTunes, doubtless including the Apple TV, which is expected to be drastically revamped. Bloomberg is quoting "three people with knowledge of the plans" as saying that the new Apple TV will see a price drop of $130 US to $99, and will include programming from Netflix. The video-rental-by-mail company has an online service that makes movies and TV shows available by direct streaming for a price of $8.99 a month. Free Netflix "Watch Instantly" content would also presumably be available.

The movies would be streamed from Netflix's servers, but the new TV show content would reportedly all be hosted at Apple's server farm in North Carolina. Cult of Mac is claiming that today's live streaming event will be set up as that facility's first major test, as millions tune in to see whether any of these rumors are true.

Sources: AppleInsider, CNET
    Last edited by Paul Daniel Ash; 09-01-2010 at 09:09 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Netflix is great. But not new. My kids WII and Xbox 360 already do this not to mention my Samsung blueray has been doing this for over a year. Now if it is new movies and not ones that have been out a while that would be nice.

Thanks

If they add Hulu Plus which I would imagine they will. I'll dump my 360 in a heartbeat. They're jacking up the price of XBL and I NEVER play games anymore.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I'd buy one asap for that price. Beats the Roku in functionality.
    Really?

Thanks

Here's an idea: buy an entry-level Mac mini, HDMI cable, and Remote HD on the App Store. Then turn on iTunes Sharing on all your household computers, download Hulu Desktop (free, by the way), and bookmark Netflix. And while we're at it, you might as well go buy a few DVDs to watch movies that AREN'T digital, or maybe a Wii Remote to play all your emulators on your Mac, too.

I don't care what this new Apple TV turns out to be--Apple already has a top-of-the-line, versatile, and customizable media center on the market, and it's called a Mac mini.

But clueless Apple freaks will buy the iTV anyway because it's "superior," or "magical," or "newer than the older one." So why even bother trying to make a point? [sigh]

Thanks

I'll take 20
    When the police want to know where someone is, they ask apple.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Hulu+ FTW. The only thing I don't like is I have a PS3 in my living room and another one in my bedroom and I have to wait 24 hours before I can switch TV's. If I can swap one of these for an Apple TV and watch Hulu+ in both rooms simultaneously I'll sell my extra PS3 and get the Apple TV instead.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by n00neimp0rtant View Post
    Here's an idea: buy an entry-level Mac mini, HDMI cable, and Remote HD on the App Store. Then turn on iTunes Sharing on all your household computers, download Hulu Desktop (free, by the way), and bookmark Netflix. And while we're at it, you might as well go buy a few DVDs to watch movies that AREN'T digital, or maybe a Wii Remote to play all your emulators on your Mac, too.

I don't care what this new Apple TV turns out to be--Apple already has a top-of-the-line, versatile, and customizable media center on the market, and it's called a Mac mini.

But clueless Apple freaks will buy the iTV anyway because it's "superior," or "magical," or "newer than the older one." So why even bother trying to make a point? [sigh]
    Comparing a 99 dollar box to several hundred dollars... bravo. Could you be any more of an Apple freak?
    Really?

iPhone? More like MyPhone macsoldier's Avatar
    Thanks

I bet other stations will jump on board.

Thanks

I already have a Popcorn Hour which combined with an Apple TV would still be way less expensive than you're set up. Sorry dude but PCH + ATV would be all I need.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LastSonOfKrypton View Post
    If they add Hulu Plus which I would imagine they will. I'll dump my 360 in a heartbeat. They're jacking up the price of XBL and I NEVER play games anymore.
    If I'm not mistaken Hulu is coming to the Xbox360 in January and so is ESPN. Those are two very good reasons to keep my 360 and defenitely worth paying $59 a year.

Well you better start playing video games again and get your moneys worth buddy!

Thanks

or maybe a Wii Remote to play all your emulators on your Mac, too.
    Would it b bad if i said i do the exact same thing sometimes?

And on topic:
    4.1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Streaming on iPad at the courthouse :-)

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Apple in the Living Room: Netflix and 99-Cent TV Shows-imageuploadedbymodmyi.jpg  
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

iPhone? More like MyPhone skizo's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm still unimpressed.

Until it will play streaming 1080 content, I don't see the point.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Sie when has Netflix had free streaming? Just because it isn't "pay per view" doesn't make it "free."

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

is steve gone crazy?99$ for a stupid box,plus 99% cent to streaming things i can get for free on tv and 4.99 to rent hd movies that i can donload on the net if you know where to get for free lol,man who ever pay for this garbage is more crazy than steve hahahahahaha.

Thanks

After seeing the demo I think its actually a good buy especially with the netflix account I mean heck now I can cutout all movie channels to at least cut down the cable bill. Once others join in such as Tru-tv, Speed Channel, ESPN I can see this expanding out over the years.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by macsoldier View Post
    After seeing the demo I think its actually a good buy especially with the netflix account I mean heck now I can cutout all movie channels to at least cut down the cable bill. Once others join in such as Tru-tv, Speed Channel, ESPN I can see this expanding out over the years.
    dude cable you only pay one bill not 99%cent per show or 4.99$ if you have internet you could get all this for free lol.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bluprint's Avatar
    Thanks

What the heck is wrong with ppl. Your buying a silver empty box for 100 bucks and apple wants you to fill it up with rentals from their store ONLY. C'mon ppl be smart with your money, buy a gaming console with hd support or buy an actual computer that's a lot more useful (mac mini) and IT WILL DO THE SAME EXACT THING!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zozodouce View Post
    dude cable you only pay one bill not 99%cent per show or 4.99$ if you have internet you could get all this for free lol.
    Then please Pm me telling me a great setup other than Apple TV cause I hate having this damn cable bill lol. Id like to use a sling box too so I can watch on computer and my iphones.