Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Negotiating For 99˘ TV Shows on iTV

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Negotiating For 99˘ TV Shows on iTV

According to a report on the Bloomberg news service, Apple is in “advanced talks” with Walt Disney, News Corp., NBC and CBS about ad-free 99-cent TV episode rentals for use with an updated Apple TV device. Bloomberg is also claiming that Apple will be holding an event on September 7 [UPDATED: AppleInsider and other media outlets have received invitations for the event, which will be held next Wednesday rather than on the 7th] that is expected to feature a next-generation iPod Touch and an iOS-based Apple TV device, but that negotiations with NBC and CBS may not be complete by then.

The iTunes Store is currently selling TV show downloads for $1.99 and $2.99 per episode. Previous rumored negotiations to set up an "all-you-can-eat" subscription service were said to have broken down. As a result, according to "three people familiar with the plan" cited by Bloomberg, Apple entered negotiations with News Corp's Fox network to stream TV show rentals to customers, similar to services provided by Netflix and Hulu. CBS, NBC, and ABC parent company Walt Disney (where Steve Jobs is the largest shareholder) are also said to be in talks about providing content to iTunes.

These deals could boost sales of the iPad, iPhone and iPod touch as well as build up interest for a long-rumored refresh of the Apple TV set-top box. Steve Jobs has long called Apple TV a "hobby" without a real business model. “The problem with innovation in the television industry is the go-to-market strategy,” Jobs said earlier this year, adding "no one is willing to buy a set-top box." An increasing number of reports referring to an IOS-based Apple TV called iTV have indicated that the set-top box would cost $99 and be able to play App Store games in addition to video content, which may provide the "go-to-market strategy" Jobs claimed was lacking.

Source: AppleInsider
    Last edited by Paul Daniel Ash; 08-25-2010 at 04:35 PM.

two words: hulu plus.

My iPhone is a Part of Me zinjen's Avatar
    Thanks

Hulu plus lacks local cable, live sports, etc.
    Don't forget to hit the thanks button if you liked what I said or did

I'm hoping for some sort of station subscription service, either to access their catalog or for live tv.... or both. 99 cents per episode won't fly.

They'll probably come out with something magical and fantastic... only because my Roku HD box arrives tomorrow.

<sarcasm>Looking forward to seeing iAds on my iTV.</sarcasm>

Quote Originally Posted by zinjen View Post
    LOL why pay all the big $$$$ I use to iphone appz

1) AirVideo: and all my tivo video I converted can be sent via internet 3G, best if convert to apple format.

2) PlayOn: will send to iPhone plus have netflix to boot so have all Hulu free accout plus all the plugins CBS, Amazon, MLB, NHL, Pandora, YouTube, Comedy Central, Tv.com, ESPN, ESPN3, Ultimate Fighter, CNN, PBS, Fox News, SpikeTV, MTV, Vevo

From iPhone HTML5 web install screw iTunes and there approval system
    http://m.playon.tv

Playon is a PC appz was to allow game boxes like xbox to view this on TV now the iPhone works too allow iPhone over 3G network read up on it if have question I will try to answer as have working version.

More than I ever watch...
    Last edited by MBCMDR; 08-26-2010 at 04:58 AM. Reason: Add url

I recently dabbled with P2P TV for live sports and it's actually better than I thought it would be. It uses torrents and a client to start building up a buffer for a few minutes, then the sporting event starts to play. Occasionally the audio will deepen\slow and it sounds like Andre The Giant, but other than that it is very solid. My hope is that every channel would offer a service like this. I'd gladly pay Sci-Fi Channel, DIy Network, HBO, etc $10/year if every program that broadcast could be picked up like this. A-La-Cart channels like that would be great instead of package deals from Dish and cable. Apple should do that. Maybe that's what that cloud-based iTunes I saw mentioned on here is all about?

Thanks

I just searched the AppStore for playon, not there. Is it a cydia app?

MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zinjen View Post
    Two Words: SLING BOX !!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by turdsmoka View Post
    two words: hulu plus.
    hulu plus is a joke
    killall Terminal[]

Quote Originally Posted by soulthoughts View Post
    I just searched the AppStore for playon, not there. Is it a cydia app?
    Not a Cydia app. It is a desktop program.
    http://www.playon.tv/playon

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

I would consider an all you can consume package

I am beyond anxious for an updated AppleTV.

.99$ rentals are not a bad option either. I work during primetime so I miss a lot of shows now that I dropped my DVR.

Thanks

99 cents is a good price.

one thing i hope this thing will be able to do is run avi, and mkv videos, cuz then i can truly think about dropping my cable box. But idk how i would do with out constant sportcenter on or other sports giving