+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Patent Shows Touchscreen MacBook

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Now that Apple's marquee products - the iPhone and iPad - have gotten such praise for their high-quality IPS touchscreens, it looks like the company is looking at incorporating such
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Patent Shows Touchscreen MacBook

Now that Apple's marquee products - the iPhone and iPad - have gotten such praise for their high-quality IPS touchscreens, it looks like the company is looking at incorporating such displays on the MacBook line as well. Jack Purcher at Patently Mac looked at recently-revealed Apple patents for their IPS technology, and noted clear references to touchscreen-equipped MacBooks. With Apple putting such emphasis on touch with the new Magic Touchpad and magic Mouse, it makes sense that touchscreens would be the next logical step. And given that multi-touch is such an integral part of iOS, one commentator wonders if future MacBooks could also run a form of Apple's mobile operating system.

The patent that Purcher highlights relates to "increasing light transmittance in LCD pixels," but the hidden gem he found is a clear reference to touchscreen application. Talking about an "input structure" ith a touch-sensitive mechanism," the patent goes on to detail how "the user may select or interact with displayed interface elements via the touch sensitive mechanism" that would "allow a user to navigate the displayed interface by touching the display," which is a clear a description of multitouch in patent-ese as you're going to find. The patent also clearly indicates that the device using this technology could be "a MacBook, MacBook Pro and/or MacBook Air."

How you'd actually use a touchscreen Mac is a different matter. There's nothing inherently better about using a touchscreen rather than a touchpad or mouse to control a regular computer graphical interface like Mac OS X. In many cases, it'll be more awkward to touch the screen rather than use the built-in touchpad of the MacBook. John Brownlee over at Cult of Mac looks at this news and wonders if it means that Apple intends to build iOS support into Mac OS X. He talks about a "Dashboard-style" integration, which presumably means a separate mode where iOS apps would pop up like Dashboard widgets, and you'd use the touchscreen rather than the mouse in that mode.

Obviously, just because Apple mentions a technology in a particular patent, it doesn't mean we'll see it in a product soon, if ever. However, given all the resources Apple is putting into the mobile, multi-touch side of the house with iOS, the likelihood is that we'll see the two sides merge, and a MacBook - located right between an iPad and an iMac - is the place you'd expect that merging to happen.

Source: Cult of Mac

Thanks

keyboard + touch screen... idk about this one

iPhone? More like MyPhone sandstorm77's Avatar
    Thanks

They should just do an iPad running osx. Everyone would be happy!

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sandstorm77 For This Useful Post:

jordbrett (08-23-2010), Shimizu1006 (08-23-2010), tattedbass82 (08-24-2010), ufcsean (08-23-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I hope they reinforce that hinge where the screen and the keyboard meet.

Thanks

If they ARE going to add a touchscreen, I hope they will still keep the mouse support. For gamers like me, I wouldn't even use the touchscreen unless the game is designed for the touchscreen.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Thanks

Isn't this just what we wanted when the ipad came out? Finally apple is listining

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

looks like another OS 10.7.x to me

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    Isn't this just what we wanted when the ipad came out? Finally apple is listining
    People have been wanting touchscreen laptops since long before the iPad.

Thanks

Its about time, Apple needs something that will compete with the likes of the HP Tablet PC: Elitebook 2740p

I will get one the moment Apple makes a tablet pc (no, the iPad isnt it).
    mod edit/links removed

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

How recent is this? I doubt they would be reverting to the "old" mouse touchpad as seen in that picture...
    This basically looks like a macbook pro from about 3-4 generations ago.

That said, if they do make a (real) tablet notebook, I would be first in line. Something that runs an actual full featured OS would be great. I, for one, don't mind sacrificing a bit of weight and battery life for true functionality.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizi View Post
    I think what he meant was this is what we were wanting the iPad to be. Not that that iPad is what made us want touchscreen laptops in the first place..

Quote Originally Posted by sandstorm77 View Post
    They should just do an iPad running osx. Everyone would be happy!
    That thing would run a full version of OSX slower than molasses.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 08-23-2010 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Green Apple
    Thanks

i already did this with a laptop and my iphones screen

Thanks

There are touchscreen laptops. HP has had them on the market for a few years now. They also have touchscreen desktops. I have seen them and used them. I am not impressed. Even if Apple does this with some form of iOS I just feel it is better suited for small mobile devices. It is awkward using a touchscreen desktop/laptop.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

IMO, touchscreen devices should only come in either small or REALLY big...

iPhone? More like MyPhone Antman217's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah but with the iPad we wanted a touchscreen device running OSX not windows lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Jeffery~ View Post
    IMO, touchscreen devices should only come in either small or REALLY big...
    I agree. Btw are there any touchscreen laptops out now cuz I haven't seen one and I think it's a bad idea cuz the keyboard and trackpad are right in front of the screen and it would just be weird like that. I did see a touchcreen laptop that has a detachable screen but I haven't seen it in the market yet. If the screen can be detached from the keyboard then it would make more sense but this would also get rid of the iPad. I think a touchscreen iMac makes more sense.
    Last edited by Antman217; 08-23-2010 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This is dumb!!!! And I would be dumb thinking the possibilities of a MacBook with touchscreen. Is just so stupid. May as well make an iPad with OSX. Makes more sense.... DUH!!!!!! (reply made with an Ipad 64gb 3G)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

touch screen and why a keyboard lol.

Thanks

I don't understand all the fuss, Different Strokes for Different Folks! C'mon does one more post have on the record really make a difference. Apple has a good thing going with this one....for some.And maybe not so much for others. Will I use one, No. Do I like coconut, No. So Where do these Quotes like "DUH" come from? Close Minded Ignorance.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

iMac Touch

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/8964/imactouch.jpg

IMac touch...

Now this is more like it.....

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

I want one