Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Government Mac Purchases Exploding

  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    Posts
    3,847
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 567 Posts

    Default Government Mac Purchases Exploding



    Charlie Wolf, an analyst with Needham & Company, stated Monday that a breakdown of IDC numbers on Mac sales for the month of June 2010 indicates a massive spike in government spending. In other words, the government is buying up Macs with a voracious appetite unlike anything Apple has ever experienced. In terms of numbers, government sales exploded better than 200% year over year for the June quarter.

    "Whether the June blip was a one-quarter phenomenon or something more enduring should be revealed in future quarters," Wolf stated, noting along that way that Mac sales overall grew 31.5% year-over-year. That's way ahead of the 20% growth within the entire PC market for 2009. Similarly, Mac sales in the big business sector also flourished, rising 50% during the three-month period. The PC market only grew 12.1% among big business use during the same quarter.

    The numbers as reported by Wolf:

    * At 35%, Mac shipment growth in June easily exceeded the market's growth rate of 20.9%.
    * Mac shipments grew 31.4% in the home market, topping the market's growth rate of 25.2%.
    * At 49.8%, the Mac's growth in business was three times higher than the market's 15.7%.
    * Mac shipments in government grew 200%, sixteen times faster than the market's 12.1%.

    Perhaps most interestingly, however, is the "intriguing phenomenon" of the European growth of the Mac's popularity. "The key driver of Mac sales in the European market," Wolf writes, "appears to be the iPhone. "The iPhone holds a higher share in the European smartphone market than it does in the U.S. because it is distributed through multiple carriers in most countries in this region. In addition, the halo effect emanating from the iPhone is undoubtedly stronger than the iPod halo effect."

    Fortune

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

    Joseph_Prophet (08-24-2010), reaves205 (08-23-2010)

  3. #2
    Livin the iPhone Life tudtran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Foco, Colorado
    Posts
    1,004
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 39 Times in 30 Posts

    Wow.

  4. #3
    iPhone? More like MyPhone macsoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    291
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 25 Times in 21 Posts

    The goverment is getting wiser, the "other" we use is just out of date, glad to see they arent letting technology fall through there green stained fingers.

  5. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by iPhononymous View Post
    First, sweet!!
    thanks for all your help
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by iPhononymous View Post
    First, sweet!!
    Good for you! NOT! Post count 1! Useful posts 0! 0 out of 1! I think we have an "id-10t" problem on our hands with you.

    To think, my résumé is absolutely bloated with stuff I have done with Macs, the Apple Store, my own business, and Apple stuff I have done (IT wise). I couldn't even find any government jobs, applied for a lot.

  7. #6
    iPhone? More like MyPhone macsoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    291
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 25 Times in 21 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by goodluck4287 View Post
    Good for you! NOT! Post count 1! Useful posts 0! 0 out of 1! I think we have an "id-10t" problem on our hands with you.

    To think, my résumé is absolutely bloated with stuff I have done with Macs, the Apple Store, my own business, and Apple stuff I have done (IT wise). I couldn't even find any government jobs, applied for a lot.

    We are always hiring lol.

  8. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by goodluck4287 View Post
    good for you! Not! Post count 1! Useful posts 0! 0 out of 1! I think we have an "id-10t" problem on our hands with you.

    To think, my résumé is absolutely bloated with stuff i have done with macs, the apple store, my own business, and apple stuff i have done (it wise). I couldn't even find any government jobs, applied for a lot.
    thank god theres more to gov then using macs

  9. #8
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    1,149
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 87 Times in 71 Posts

    It all depends on how many Macs they have originally, for an example:
    Our company had 1 Mac, now we have 4 that is 300%!
    Sounds significant but I would not even call this explosion, part of the reason I hate percentage increase in studies.

  10. #9
    MMi's "X" Member awesomeSlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Dragonspiral Tower in 3DS
    Posts
    4,524
    Thanks
    114
    Thanked 347 Times in 259 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by iPhononymous View Post
    First, sweet!!
    Congratulations! You are the first one to be on my Ignore List of Stupidity! Epic Failure!


    Over 200%?! Uhh...how is that even possible?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -ignorelist.png  
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to awesomeSlayer For This Useful Post:

    greek.guy (08-27-2010), Poseidon79 (08-23-2010)

  12. #10
    Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    4,826
    Thanks
    553
    Thanked 515 Times in 427 Posts

    No numbers to back this up though. It's all hype. Apple sales are growing after years of tumbleweeds rolling through their sales stores. It took them long enough to realize that you can't reach a large audience by selling in the 20 stores they have in the US.

  13. #11
    notice apple is still behind in educational market growth....

    Quote Originally Posted by awesomeSlayer View Post
    Congratulations! You are the first one to be on my Ignore List of Stupidity! Epic Failure!


    Over 200%?! Uhh...how is that even possible?
    to put that in lamens terms, that is triple market sales
    Last edited by Joseph_Prophet; 08-23-2010 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    From the Fire We Shall Ascend

  14. #12
    Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Iowa (ISU for Vet School!)
    Posts
    3,920
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 310 Times in 264 Posts

    In my own greedy way this is exciting. I think the days of PCs being the only ones with viruses and Apple being able to claim their OS is far safer than that of Microsoft will soon be behind us.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

    A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

  15. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Right behind you!!
    Posts
    163
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 21 Times in 16 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    In my own greedy way this is exciting. I think the days of PCs being the only ones with viruses and Apple being able to claim their OS is far safer than that of Microsoft will soon be behind us.
    Yeah, right. Considering your choice of computer system you've been well served over the years haven't you? I hope you've enjoyed your viruses, bugs, crashes, worms and malware, and M$ have done so well protecting your systems haven't they. Oh, that's right, you have to buy a third party anti virus package to protect your stuff. You really have to wonder why M$ never made a security package for their OS when they were well aware of the security risks, should make you worry. Anyone who enjoys that kind of treatment and sticks with M$ really is a koolade kid (reason why I went to linux many years ago). Your hopes for an attack will go largely unfulfilled. You don't seem to understand the unix architecture. The only thing that can affect a unix based system is a spurious package installed by the user with admin privileges and at best you'll end up with malware, so the user is the ultimate gatekeeper of their security. Unlike PC where an executive file from an email or anywhere can self install without admin access, without the users knowledge and do anything, even trash your system. M$ only addressed this in its recent os's. So because you've endured the displeasure of viruses, bugs, crashes, hacks, trojans and malware at M$'s pleasure, you can't wait for others suffer too. What a nice guy you must be. Sorry it won't happen, and if were possible it would have happened by now. Any punk with an attitude like yours would just love to be the first to do this but it's not as easy as you'd think. Enjoy your junk, but your schadenfreude won't bring you happiness.

    You really have to wonder why people come to an "Everything Apple" forums, armed with a baseball bat.
    Last edited by Tyronal; 08-23-2010 at 06:11 PM.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Tyronal For This Useful Post:

    Joseph_Prophet (08-23-2010)

  17. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyronal View Post
    Yeah, right. Considering your choice of computer system you've been well served over the years haven't you? I hope you've enjoyed your viruses, bugs, crashes, worms and malware, and M$ have done so well protecting your systems haven't they. Oh, that's right, you have to buy a third party anti virus package to protect your stuff. You really have to wonder why M$ never made a security package for their OS when they were well aware of the security risks, should make you worry. Anyone who enjoys that kind of treatment and sticks with M$ really is a koolade kid (reason why I went to linux many years ago). Your hopes for an attack will go largely unfulfilled. You don't seem to understand the unix architecture. The only thing that can affect a unix based system is a spurious package installed by the user with admin privileges and at best you'll end up with malware, so the user is the ultimate gatekeeper of their security. Unlike PC where an executive file from an email or anywhere can self install without admin access, without the users knowledge and do anything, even trash your system. M$ only addressed this in its recent os's. So because you've endured the displeasure of viruses, bugs, crashes, hacks, trojans and malware at M$'s pleasure, you can't wait for others suffer too. What a nice guy you must be. Sorry it won't happen, and if were possible it would have happened by now. Any punk with an attitude like yours would just love to be the first to do this but it's not as easy as you'd think. Enjoy your junk, but your schadenfreude won't bring you happiness.
    kudos^10
    From the Fire We Shall Ascend

  18. #15
    MMi's "X" Member awesomeSlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Dragonspiral Tower in 3DS
    Posts
    4,524
    Thanks
    114
    Thanked 347 Times in 259 Posts

    Does "Mac vs PC" have any relation to the topic? No.
    Last edited by awesomeSlayer; 08-23-2010 at 07:21 PM.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

  19. #16
    I'm an auditor and currently auditing a small school district and they spent over 200k on apple computers. Bought over 500 iPod touches for elementary school. Can't wait to do my asset search!

  20. #17
    @Tyronal - I have to respectfully disagree with you about Windows. I personally find it to be a great operating system and quite secure to the average user. I have an iphone myself and love the security it provides, however, if I was not a power user on windows I don't believe there is any particular reason to fear viruses on the PC. There are many sufficient virus detectors on the PC such as Avast, Microsoft Security Essentials, AVG, etc. The rule of thumb is not to install any plugins that aren't verified or come from any suspicious websites. Also people shouldn't install executable's from websites they don't know and trust.
    I agree that MAC is more secure by nature,(it's a closed system) but that is also it's downfall. What plagues windows the most is users not knowing what they're doing and clicking on things they know nothing about. This has definitely been focused on by the Microsoft Team and the browser teams as they are making it as easy as possible for users to discern the product they are looking at. Apple's MAC OS on the other hand hasn't needed to worry about these for a long time and therefore has actually made itself much more susceptible to new types of viruses. Viruses aren't only on the PC, that much we know now for certain. I can say with much certainty that because Apple has been able to stand on their throne for so long they've grown a bit lazy in dealing with the newer dangers ahead.
    If you're a normal user you generally don't have anything to worry about on either Operating System. If you're a power user that's where the problem lies. Either way people need to exert a certain amount of caution.
    Last edited by johnwin; 08-24-2010 at 04:42 PM.

  21. #18
    iPhone? More like MyPhone hancoma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Austin Texas
    Posts
    129
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 15 Times in 8 Posts

    Inefficient, self serving, overdrawn government seeks to improve overall efficiency, productivity and public persona by purchasing high value, sleek, and sexy Mac systems.

    End result= Continued government failure on all fronts, only now they look good doing it!

  22. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Essany View Post



    Charlie Wolf, an analyst with Needham & Company, stated Monday that a breakdown of IDC numbers on Mac sales for the month of June 2010 indicates a massive spike in government spending. In other words, the government is buying up Macs with a voracious appetite unlike anything Apple has ever experienced. In terms of numbers, government sales exploded better than 200% year over year for the June quarter.

    "Whether the June blip was a one-quarter phenomenon or something more enduring should be revealed in future quarters," Wolf stated, noting along that way that Mac sales overall grew 31.5% year-over-year. That's way ahead of the 20% growth within the entire PC market for 2009. Similarly, Mac sales in the big business sector also flourished, rising 50% during the three-month period. The PC market only grew 12.1% among big business use during the same quarter.

    The numbers as reported by Wolf:

    * At 35%, Mac shipment growth in June easily exceeded the market's growth rate of 20.9%.
    * Mac shipments grew 31.4% in the home market, topping the market's growth rate of 25.2%.
    * At 49.8%, the Mac's growth in business was three times higher than the market's 15.7%.
    * Mac shipments in government grew 200%, sixteen times faster than the market's 12.1%.

    Perhaps most interestingly, however, is the "intriguing phenomenon" of the European growth of the Mac's popularity. "The key driver of Mac sales in the European market," Wolf writes, "appears to be the iPhone. "The iPhone holds a higher share in the European smartphone market than it does in the U.S. because it is distributed through multiple carriers in most countries in this region. In addition, the halo effect emanating from the iPhone is undoubtedly stronger than the iPod halo effect."

    Fortune
    In the real world this maybe true but in the 'Chuck' and 'Psych' universes the government likes to use these.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -0d09999fb770eba7ab9bd317bb28265a_def.jpg  
    From the Fire We Shall Ascend

  23. #20
    I can attest to this uprising with Macs in the government...Im actually leading a pilot program for Macs and iPads for them. Working closely with the Apple VP of govt sales, Ron Police, and several Apple engineers on this effort.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •