+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Major Upgrade Coming to Apple's Online Forums

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Apple will soon change it's online forums in a "major upgrade." That news comes directly from Apple late last week in a quickly overlooked post on the preset-day Apple Discussions.
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default Major Upgrade Coming to Apple's Online Forums

Apple will soon change it's online forums in a "major upgrade." That news comes directly from Apple late last week in a quickly overlooked post on the preset-day Apple Discussions. What we will see is the transformation of Apple Discussions into the new "Apple Support Communities" - a social network of sorts that will enable users to connect and help one another.

As you might expect, Apple Support Communities will make it possible for users to highly personalize their presence, especially with the added ability to set up a profile pic/avatar. Best of all, widgets and custom content will also be allowed on user homepages for that extra "personalized" look and feel.

"Apple Support Communities brings together thousands of Macintosh, iPod, iPhone, and iPad users from around the world to discuss Apple products and topics," the statement from Apple reads. "Apple Support communities provides a wealth of information about your favorite Apple hardware and software products to help you get the most out of your purchase. And, in the spirit of community, you can also help other Apple Support Communities' users by answering their questions."

While there is no time frame in place for the upgrade to take place, it is believed that Apple Support Communities is presently in beta test phase for select users. Although there were rumblings on Saturday and Sunday about an imminent launch when Apple Discussions went offline, it now appears that the site suffered a malicious attack - a situation that was quickly addressed and remedied.

Apple Discussions
    Apple Insider

Thanks

I like this idea. Helps filter out what you want and will make the forms more user friendly.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

one place I would not discuss about Apple product is the place is controlled by Apple, they screen and delete posts that they see as criticism to their product. Most recent example is all those deleted posts when you mention Consumer Reports bridging antenna posts. And you can be sure jailbreaking which many people is interested in would be deleted.
    Seems like this only a way for Apple to control media regarding its own product, can beat down things it does not like and highlight things it does.
    Last edited by unison999; 08-16-2010 at 10:13 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Will there be a jailbreak section added? lol This will be cool for the people that participate on their forums. It is really a good place to get questions answered.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    Will there be a jailbreak section added? lol This will be cool for the people that participate on their forums. It is really a good place to get questions answered.
    lol that's going to be interesting. COMMUNISM!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    one place I would not discuss about Apple product is the place is controlled by Apple, they screen and delete posts that they see as criticism to their product. Most recent example is all those deleted posts when you mention Consumer Reports bridging antenna posts. And you can be sure jailbreaking which many people is interested in would be deleted.
    Seems like this only a way for Apple to control media regarding its own product, can beat down things it does not like and highlight things it does.
    No, Apple does that to people who post threads going "AMGGSJDKLGJ MY ******* IPHONE CAN;T CA;LL ANYONEJGDHD"
    those kinds of threads deserve to get removed.
    If you didn't notice there's plenty of threads with hundreds and thousands of reply's. There's plenty of rant threads where people behave and act mature and apple doesn't remove them, infact if you look at the who's online, theres about 80 apple employees always online looking at threads. Apple takes control of their products, they have all the rights to, its their product, but people like you make a small deal SO DAMN BIG. Moron(s).

iPhone? More like MyPhone macsoldier's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple seems to do well in the customer service department (own opinion) i think this will help out a lot when it comes to quick answers

8. The Following User Says Thank You to macsoldier For This Useful Post:

Shishir G (08-16-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by macsoldier View Post
    Apple seems to do well in the customer service department (own opinion) i think this will help out a lot when it comes to quick answers
    Well Said, and its true, they've helped me fix every product i have in less than 20 minutes, and if it takes over that they usually just tell me to come to the apple store and get it replaced, which is really simple.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shishir G View Post
    No, Apple does that to people who post threads going "AMGGSJDKLGJ MY ******* IPHONE CAN;T CA;LL ANYONEJGDHD"
    those kinds of threads deserve to get removed.
    If you didn't notice there's plenty of threads with hundreds and thousands of reply's. There's plenty of rant threads where people behave and act mature and apple doesn't remove them, infact if you look at the who's online, theres about 80 apple employees always online looking at threads. Apple takes control of their products, they have all the rights to, its their product, but people like you make a small deal SO DAMN BIG. Moron(s).
    People ranting, is that not a consumer? Did they not buy a product? They are good enough to take money off of but not good enough to give them customer service they deserved? Is bridging antenna a made up problem? Just because Apple do not want to hear it it does not mean they do not have a legitimate gripe. BTW this is iPhone should it not work properly as a Phone first? Bridging the damn antenna it may not be a problem for you, but it is for quite a few people. That is a BIG PROBLEM when a Phone does not work as a Phone

If you read my post, I only mentioned Apple deleting posts where Consumer Reports confirms problem with bridging antenna is mentioned. I should also add Apple deleting posts where it bring up Consumer Reports pulling their recommendation on iPhone4. Not sure if they still do that now, but they did the week when Consumer Reports came out.
    Last edited by unison999; 08-16-2010 at 11:23 AM.

Thanks

Apple's online forums have been a fail, so they can't get any worse
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Thanks

Does it come with a "[ ] Don't Delete My F**king Thread" feature now?
    Anybody want a 32GB Mint Condition Black JB Unlocked 3GS? PM me with offers.

Thanks

I started on the forum in Sept. of 2001, when I was using OS 10.0.2. Back then, the forums were a place to go to get help with the new system, and people were both helpful and polite. We shared info, Apple kept their nose out of it, and all was well. After about three years, the trolls descended, many of them interested mainly in getting their post count up. They'd be on, seemingly, 24/7. Flaming and impoliteness ruled, and Apple did nothing. I finally bailed, and only go there now for specific answers to problems I may be having, or to check to see if there are issues with something I'm thinking of buying.

As to the deleting of posts, the main reason I jailbroke my phone(s) was the lack of universal alert ringtones. The clock alerts could use custom ringtones, but calendar & text & voicemail, only beep or ting or... Hated it. For a year, I would ask every once in a while if others felt the same way, and I would also send the emails for updates to Apple requesting it. Every OS update, nope. Every new phone, nope. Well, one day, one of the lurking mods sent me a warning that I was breaking forum rules by posting about features not included. Then he or they began deleting my posts and others' as well in various threads. No ranting, just straightforward discussion of a need not enabled on our phones. Finally I jailbroke, got ToneFXs, and now I know whether I got an alert for calendar, text, or voicemail. No more ting or beep for all alerts. I had nearly 2000 posts, of the helpful variety, and they were treating me like a rulebreaker. So I broke the big rule and have been happy ever since.

As to the Discussions pages, or "Community," call it what you will, but I get a lot more help here and on a few other Mac and/or iPhone sites than I have gotten there since 2005.
    Senior

Thanks

ive never even got onto this before. might be worth a check
    killall Terminal[]

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    Apple's online forums have been a fail, so they can't get any worse
    Not if Jobs gets his hands on it.
    Jai... [delete] brid...[delete] drop c...[delete] don't del...[delete]
    Jobs is god [sticky] Apple should charge more [sticky] I love my Apple product [wrong kind of sticky on keyboard but sticky]

MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Thanks

Modmyi.com > Apple.com/Forums

Thanks

I've actually found alot of answers on theses forums. Of course It was all through google. Lol