+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Hardware-Accelerated Flash Officially Released

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Adobe elevated its "Gala" pre-release beta to final status today, releasing it as Flash Player 10.1.82.76 with support for some graphics coprocessors shipped with newer Macs. Making use of the
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Hardware-Accelerated Flash Officially Released

Adobe elevated its "Gala" pre-release beta to final status today, releasing it as Flash Player 10.1.82.76 with support for some graphics coprocessors shipped with newer Macs. Making use of the new video acceleration API available in Mac OS X 10.6.3 or later, the update will only give improved performance to Macs with GPUs like the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M, the GeForce 320M or GT 330M.

There are other limitations, such as when YouTube 480p HD videos are displayed in 864 x 480 resolution. According to Adobe engineer Tinic Uro, this forces a software fallback which means hardware acceleration is no longer available. Also, resolutions smaller than 480 x 320 pixels are not accelerated on NVIDIA GeForce 9400M based Macs, though on NVIDIA GeForce 320M and GeForce GT 330M the threshold may be a bit higher due to tradeoffs in the OS for power vs. performance optimization. As Adobe engineer Uro notes: "playing video has a fixed baseline cost in the GPU for instance which is not the case when you decode on a CPU." The hardware decoder is limited to 2 instances at a time, so if you have more than 2 videos open at a time the third one will be software-decoded. And also, hardware acceleration will sometimes fail until Safari is restarted, which is an issue Adobe says they're working on with Apple.

The Macs with compatible cards are:
    • MacBooks shipped after January 21st, 2009
    • Mac Minis shipped after March 3rd, 2009
    • MacBook Pros shipped after October 14th, 2008
    • iMacs which shipped after the first quarter of 2009

Flash Player 10.1 is available for download from the Adobe website.

Source: Cult of Mac

iPhone? More like MyPhone mmurphmsu's Avatar
    Thanks

This is what I don't understand. Jobs lets Flash on Mac computers but not on iDevices. Really doesn't make any sense to me.
    Please hit "Thanks!" if I helped you.

Thanks

This is great! Will this improve battery performance when watching Flash content?
    "The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"

'Follow Me on Twitter@Markanthony3211' I always Follow Back.

My iPhone is a Part of Me zinjen's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mmurphmsu View Post
    This is what I don't understand. Jobs lets Flash on Mac computers but not on iDevices. Really doesn't make any sense to me.
    People would not buy anything from the AppStore ya big dummy All games, applications, ported to flash in Safari opens a gateway to hell for Apple.

Don't believe it's old technology, it just reaches deep in Steves Pocket.
    Don't forget to hit the thanks button if you liked what I said or did

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to zinjen For This Useful Post:

iNT3Rv3NTiONZz (08-11-2010), redwolf (08-11-2010), San23 (08-11-2010), skj8100 (08-11-2010), TheReliq (08-11-2010), zeroGsti (08-11-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Joseph_Prophet's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Markanthony3211 View Post
    This is great! Will this improve battery performance when watching Flash content?
    I think that's what they were getting at in the article.
    From the Fire We Shall Ascend

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mmurphmsu View Post
    Because it uses a lot of battery and is not very good on mobile devices.

Thanks

Jobs publicly slams Flash, and here Macs ship with update Flash players from the Applefactory. Deja vu?

MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Thanks

I love how the subject always changes from the original article !!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zinjen View Post
    People would not buy anything from the AppStore ya big dummy All games, applications, ported to flash in Safari opens a gateway to hell for Apple.

Don't believe it's old technology, it just reaches deep in Steves Pocket.
    How on earth do you think your making sense?

Devs who want to give their apps and games away for free can do so already. All those free games that would appear on flash are already available for FREE on the App Store.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post

Devs who want to give their apps and games away for free can do so already. All those free games that would appear on flash are already available for FREE on the App Store.
    He's right. There are countless flash games I've played on the computer that I have later seen in the app store for a buck or two. Not to mention, nobody would ever buy tv shows from itunes, if they could just go to hulu and watch it for free.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Even If they are free on the app store, it would get their attention away from the store, losing more POTENTIAL customers, so the number one mobile market may no longer be number one.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Jobs won't allow flash, he brings up HTML5 and others how they are superior to flash... Where is it on my iDevice?? I know for a fact that Adobe will immediately put flash out for iPhones once it gets the nod from Apple (Jobs), but we all know that is not going to happen. I doubt I will see html5 compatible with my iPhone any time soon, because of reason above and because I believe it will be just as much of a memory hog and battery drain as what people predict for flash. And the fact that this would be an excuse for Jobs to sell iPhone5, I know I will not be able to use it on my iPhone

So lets get back onto subject.

Thanks

be still my heart!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Dr. Money View Post
    He's right. There are countless flash games I've played on the computer that I have later seen in the app store for a buck or two. Not to mention, nobody would ever buy tv shows from itunes, if they could just go to hulu and watch it for free.
    Millions of TV shows were being bought from iTunes before the iPhone even showed up by the way

God forbid the developer of a game want a tiny return on their investment from you.
    Not to mention,those flash games you love to play are built with mouse and keyboard in mind as the method of input. How does a cursor hover translate to the iPhone, or if your required to click repeatedly with even the slightest speed without safari translating that into a zoom in/out. Most flash games would still need to be ported to touch screen versions.
    Games developed as native running apps in both iOS, Mac OS and Windows will simply run better that a flash game running in a browser plug-in.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

You're missing the point though.....even if they are free on the app store- the point is you still HAVE TO USE the app store.

Thanks

If it is now legal to jailbreak our idevices. Why wouldn't adobe release a flash download through cydia? Or are they too scared about upsetting jobs?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skj8100 View Post
    You're missing the point though.....even if they are free on the app store- the point is you still HAVE TO USE the app store.
    If there was a flash plugin for mobile safari you'd HAVE TO USE safari.

iPhone? More like MyPhone macsoldier's Avatar
    Thanks

they would make more money going through apple than putting it on cydia

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by macsoldier View Post
    they would make more money going through apple than putting it on cydia
    I agree...but it would be more than what they're making from Apple right now.

If Adobe released flash on the iPhone through Cydia for, let's say $9.99. How many takers?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BLADEofthePOPE View Post
    I agree...but it would be more than what they're making from Apple right now.

If Adobe released flash on the iPhone through Cydia for, let's say $9.99. How many takers?
    If Adobe were allowed bring flash to iPhone they wouldn't be charging for it. Is it possible for them to even integrate it into Safari without going through Apple. Why don't they go chat to Opera about putting flash in their browser unless Opera have told em to take their junk elsewhere too.