+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: More Mini MacBook Air Rumors

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default More Mini MacBook Air Rumors

Echoing reports from the Chinese electronics industry covered here last month, a financial analyst is saying that Apple's ramping up to manufacture a MacBook Air with an 11.6" screen, to be released in September. BMO Capital analyst Keith Bachman claims in a note to his clients that the new mini-MBA will be cheaper and made in much larger quantities than the current model, which is the opposite of what DigiTimes reported in July. Bachman is also expecting new iPod touch and nano models next month.

The MacBook Air is the one Apple product that hasn't been refreshed recently, with no changes to the slim notebook in over a year. This has led to a steadily increasing number of reports about new models in the pipeline. Bachman asserts, straight out that Apple "will" launch two different 11.6-inch MacBook Air models in September, though he says he is "not yet clear on all the specs." He is predicting a drop in the price, which is currently much higher than comparable MacBook models. The production volume of the new shrunken MBA, according to "supply chain checks" that Bachman says his firm did in China, "could far exceed the current Air, which we believe could suggest lower starting prices.” Though he didn't break it down by product, he says he's expecting Apple to ship just under 3 million notebooks next quarter.

Additionally, Bachman predicts a new, "much smaller" iPod nano that won't have a clickwheel, and may squeeze the iPod shuffle out of the bottom of the product line, and well as the camera-equipped 4th-gen iPod touch that we keep hearing about. As much as this is potentially just hot air, it's important to remember that the people who report to Wall Street are held to a higher standard than tech bloggers: this guy could lose his job if this turns out to be bogus.

Source: AppleInsider

Thanks

What's the appeal of a Macbook Air? It's worse than the Macbook Pro and costs more!
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whereswaldo For This Useful Post:

Mooseeeeey (08-15-2010), Shishir G (08-06-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Why? for 1.4 inches more you have a macbook or macbook pro! Why make super slim super portable devices that are also super expensive? If these rumors are true, they just reiterate the fact that lately Apple just seem to have more money than sense.
    Last edited by feidhlim1986; 08-06-2010 at 04:31 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to feidhlim1986 For This Useful Post:

Jordo_6 (08-06-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,865 Times in 2,205 Posts

I would personally really like one for what I do and I like how portable they are

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

It fits in a manila folder...

Green Apple
    Thanks

Well If they priced it below $1,000 it might start to compete with the high end ipads. I doubt apple would want that.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    What's the appeal of a Macbook Air? It's worse than the Macbook Pro and costs more!
    I couldn't agree more!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

MBA is a piece of crap. It doesn't even have a cd drive, what is the point of this? $1000 to get a 1.5 inch thick computer. I swear anyone can probably break this in half easily. This thing is all show and no real use for anything. Just get a MBP or a real laptop if you need one.

Thanks

Thought steve jobs hated netbooks?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Macbook Air
    I think that the idea of a computer that is 1.5 inches thick is pretty cool, but its not really useful for much.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

MacBook airs are nice because they are light and the ones with the ssd are fast but they are way overpriced and underpowered.

My iPhone is a Part of Me tudtran's Avatar
    Thanks

I love my macbook air perfect side. I'm not sure about smaller. All that said, my next computer will likely to be a Macbook Pro. It's faster, more memory, and cost a lot less.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm suprised Apple want to continue along the Air route. Sure we were all suitably impressed when they squeezed the hardware that they did into such a small enclosure. Say what you will, in engineering terms, it is remarkable. But to put such a high price tag on what is effectively a notebook, and declare it a revolution, seems, whilst very in character for Apple, a little overzealous. And the above posters are right; if the iPad sits somewhere between a high-end smartphone and mid-range laptop, that does not leave much space for an under-specified, over-priced novelty item. A game-changing addition or two to the Air is going to be neccesary to differentiate it from the rest of the product line, and secure a niche for it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm not sure why everyone keeps saying 1.5 inches thick because the MacBook pros are only 1 inch thick and the air is about .75

But anyways this would be a great laptop for those who have an iMac at home and want something super portable, my only gripe with the current one is the lack of the multi-touch trackpad and why it still has that ugly silver bezel. It's the only aluminum product besides the iPod classic that has the ugly bezel

Thanks

For me as a gamer, I don't want the Air. Its price is more than the Pros and it is underpowered.

However, it doesn't really mean it is worthless. It depends on what you do on computers.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to awesomeSlayer For This Useful Post:

Cowboy (08-06-2010), madczech (08-06-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone madczech's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by awesomeiPod View Post
    For me as a gamer, I don't want the Air. Its price is more than the Pros and it is underpowered.

However, it doesn't really mean it is worthless. It depends on what you do on computers.
    finally a neutral post.. thanks for that
    I don't give a damn about Chuck Norris, Spongebob can grill under water!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by madczech View Post
    finally a neutral post.. thanks for that
    Like switzerland

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    Like switzerland
    I don't get it haha!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mknapper1 View Post
    I'm not sure why everyone keeps saying 1.5 inches thick because the MacBook pros are only 1 inch thick and the air is about .75

But anyways this would be a great laptop for those who have an iMac at home and want something super portable, my only gripe with the current one is the lack of the multi-touch trackpad and why it still has that ugly silver bezel. It's the only aluminum product besides the iPod classic that has the ugly bezel
    And you have no gripe about it being seriously underpowered and ridiculously overpriced?

Thanks

Id much rather them port OSX into an Ipad, seem Apple it going in the direction of Fragile is better
    "Jane, get me off this crazy thing !!!!"