+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iTunes Cloud Service to Start Off "Modest in Scope"

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Apple is, indeed, moving forward with the long-awaited cloud-based iTunes service. And while all indications point to a grand unveiling sooner rather than later, it now appears that Apple has
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default iTunes Cloud Service to Start Off "Modest in Scope"

Apple is, indeed, moving forward with the long-awaited cloud-based iTunes service. And while all indications point to a grand unveiling sooner rather than later, it now appears that Apple has limited its initial aims for the service. While Google toils with a rival service, Apple continues to make arrangements with the top labels necessary to secure proper licensing for an elaborate cloud music service. So cumbersome has that process become that Apple is now expected to release a more limited service before the end of the year.

According to CNet, "Eight months after the acquisition (of Lala), Apple is telling executives at the four top labels that if Apple offers any cloud-music features within the next few months, they will likely be modest in scope and not offer the kind of cloud services that Apple had outlined in meetings with the labels, such as storing the music of iTunes users on its servers."

While further set-backs or a more limited service would certainly come as an initial let down to everyone waiting for this eventual reality, Apple has another card it will likely play right out of the gate. Even though the cloud music service may "take a while longer" to prep, Apple is said to be taking equal strides toward a sophisticated cloud-video service, which would naturally be welcomed "by those who have maxed out hard drives with films and TV shows." When Apple finally takes their content to the clouds, all signs point to the creation of "digital shelves" that allow iTunes users to save, categorize, and access movies and other digital media via Apple's servers.

Cloud storage could help overcome one of the roadblocks confronting Apple's top gadgets. The iPad, iPod, and iPhone all have limited ability to store the films, e-books, apps, and songs Apple wants to sell owners of these devices.
    Although it appears that Apple is dragging its feet on the cloud based music service, the amount of legal preparation that goes into such a venture is said to be astoundingly mind-boggling. It's a reality that even Google is now experiencing as the company recently tapped a prominent attorney named Elizabeth Moody to exclusively focus on the legal work and haggling necessary to secure the digital music rights required for a service that will compete with iTunes. As of the last reports from inside Google, the search engine powerhouse wants to launch their rival service before the end of 2010.

CNet

iPhone? More like MyPhone sandstorm77's Avatar
    Thanks

This cloud based service is not going to be a good thing for people who download music illegally. I'm betting that there will be some sort of security measure in place to not allow uploading of illegally downloaded music to the cloud. Should be interesting how this plays out.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Again, only barely significant to people who have bought all their music from the iTunes Music Store.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Not to mention all that streaming data over 3g especially for the majority who have a cap on their data usage.

Thanks

blah blah blah... I'll believe it when i see it
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Thanks

another reason to hate AT&T

for me, movies over wifi from clouds will deplete a 2gig cap like a puddle in the hot sun

if only tmobile had compatible 3g, here's to hoping for iPhone on another carrier by 2011

My iPhone is a Part of Me tudtran's Avatar
    Thanks

As long as I don't have to pay extra for the service.

iPhone? More like MyPhone macsoldier's Avatar
    Thanks

This would be nice to free up space but im sure apple will restrict this so you have to use bought music.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sandstorm77 View Post
    This cloud based service is not going to be a good thing for people who download music illegally. I'm betting that there will be some sort of security measure in place to not allow uploading of illegally downloaded music to the cloud. Should be interesting how this plays out.
    Even if Apple does blacklist files, all someone needs to do is re-encode (not difficult since most torrents are 320 or above) or even just change a single bit of the file they downloaded illegally, and it'll look just like any other MP3 they've ripped from one of their CDs.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cypherpunk View Post
    Even if Apple does blacklist files, all someone needs to do is re-encode (not difficult since most torrents are 320 or above) or even just change a single bit of the file they downloaded illegally, and it'll look just like any other MP3 they've ripped from one of their CDs.
    Agree....but who feels like going through the trouble. Potential you could just burn the tracks to a blank CD and then rip them back into iTunes

iPhone? More like MyPhone Joseph_Prophet's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sandstorm77 View Post
    Agree....but who feels like going through the trouble. Potential you could just burn the tracks to a blank CD and then rip them back into iTunes
    I do, its what i do after any mp3 i get.
    From the Fire We Shall Ascend

Thanks

What benefit do you get from re-encoding an MP3?

MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Thanks

Useless Info, Yet again ... Why do I keep reading this stuff !!!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Joseph_Prophet's Avatar
    Thanks

no trace that it is illegally downloaded.
    From the Fire We Shall Ascend

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm not too surprised. I'd love free storage like Lala gave, but I can see how storing over 200GB of my data would cost them a lot and not once did I purchase a track. Heck, I didn't even use my free credits.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

U r not allowed to even TALK about piracy? What about all the conversation about the future cloud based iTunes...?And everyones worries about their "pirated" music not being able to sync with a cloud iTunes...I don't see anyone being reprimanded in that conversation.

So the general policy here is... Piracy is okay if it's music, but if it has anything to do with software, it can't even be mentioned in a post... Double standard?

Perhaps if this site was full of musicians (instead of software developers, etc) the rules of what is "allowed" to be talked about would be different.

Pretty ridiculous if u ask me.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 889 Posts

No it is not ok to talk about any kind of piracy.

Talk about piracy is not allowed in the forums. Stay on subject and away from the subject matter of piracy of any kind.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iLoveWindows&iPhone View Post
    U r not allowed to even TALK about piracy? What about all the conversation about the future cloud based iTunes...?And everyones worries about their "pirated" music not being able to sync with a cloud iTunes...I don't see anyone being reprimanded in that conversation.

So the general policy here is... Piracy is okay if it's music, but if it has anything to do with software, it can't even be mentioned in a post... Double standard?

Perhaps if this site was full of musicians (instead of software developers, etc) the rules of what is "allowed" to be talked about would be different.

Pretty ridiculous if u ask me.
    Not ridiculous if u ask me, it's illegal, immoral and against forum rules. It's also a waste of time since you go through so much work for a free version of a 99 cent app.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'm not worried about streaming on my ipod. 64 gbs? yea. >.>
    What I AM worried about is not losing a freaking song once I purchase it.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    Not ridiculous if u ask me, it's illegal, immoral and against forum rules. It's also a waste of time since you go through so much work for a free version of a 99 cent app.
    I wasn't referring to the rule of
    not being allowed to talk about piracy as ridiculous.

It seemed to me it was okay to talk about music piracy, but not software piracy, that's what I thought was ridiculous. But the mods corrected me (Cer0) and said all discusssion of piracy is not allowed... That being said, I think the subject of piracy is a valid issue, that should be able to be discussed and debated to a certain extent... But I don't make the rules, and I will follow the forum rules.
    Last edited by iLoveWindows&iPhone; 08-04-2010 at 10:21 AM.