Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Hints at "Revolutionary" Mac OS X 10.7

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Hints at "Revolutionary" Mac OS X 10.7

An Apple job listing for a software engineer to work on Mac OS X 10.7 hints at a "totally new" (totally!) feature that will be unveiled in the upcoming operating system, some innovation that Apple says "has never been done before" and that will "truly amaze everyone." Using the word "revolutionary" no fewer than three times, the listing seeks an engineer with "up close and personal experience with the HTTP protocol as well as other protocols layered atop it," suggesting that the feature is closely tied in to Web technology.

While Apple generally lays it on pretty thick about how awesome its technology is, the listing talks about a change in the "very foundations of Mac OS X," suggesting that the next software update will involve a significant redesign of the operating system. While changes in the system since Mac OS X was first introduced have been incremental in nature - Intel support, improved graphics, etc. - the language of the ad portends some kind of essential difference between not only 10.7 and previous versions of Mac OS X, but between 10.7 and every other OS.

The emphasis put on HTTP and "other protocols layered atop it" provide a possible clue about the nature of the "revolution." Given that this is an ad for an OS engineer, there's a real chance that the "amazing" new feature involves tight integration of cloud computing technology into the OS itself, possibly even a fully internet-bootable system. One rumor from last year's Macworld, quoting "a friend of a friend who is a trusted source of a friend at Apple" (LOL) claimed that Mac OS X 10.7 "will... connect to the cloud and download the kernel" rather than having a local operating system. The problems with this story are obvious: in addition to it being almost 100% pure, unadulterated fiction, who would want a computer that you can't use when your internet connection is down?

However, assuming for the moment that the rumor might have been based on a misunderstood description of a real Apple project, let's not forget about the mysterious big Apple data center that the company has never fully explained. Previously revealed patents have referred to a system that would allow you to start a game on your home computer, continue playing it on your iPad, and finish up at work or at school. This would require a fundamental change in how the Mac OS works, and in a world where tablet computers and trackpads can be called "magical" and "revolutionary," you can see how this could possibly live up to such a label.

Of course, it could just be typical corporate BS. That's the thing about Apple: as cool as their products often are, they still manage to exaggerate them way out of proportion. Anyway, this will potentially be an interesting story to watch develop. After all, Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard is a year old… how long are we going to have to wait for 10.7? (And what will it be called… Clouded Leopard?)

Source: AppleInsider

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

Freerunnering (07-30-2010), miggyme (07-30-2010), nabeelzuberi (07-29-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Most likely utilize cloud......

Thanks

Already?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Isn't saying "HTTP protocol" redundant? Sort of like ATM machine or VIN number...

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to prozac4312 For This Useful Post:

CaryDude (07-31-2010), juggz143 (07-29-2010), PlatoTheForms (07-30-2010), SirTimothy1 (07-30-2010), Spydertech (07-29-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by prozac4312 View Post
    Isn't saying "HTTP protocol" redundant? Sort of like ATM machine or VIN number...
    LOL-ing out loud!

iPhone? More like MyPhone mallenass's Avatar
    Thanks

This is just Cool...that humongous data Centre most be for something magically revolutionary with fairy dust on top, right?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I hope it's as revolutionary as the death grip

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to robertgoes2hart For This Useful Post:

Adilcoolrocks (07-30-2010), coolguy742 (07-30-2010), LSZ33 (07-29-2010), luvrboy (10-13-2010), Shishir G (07-29-2010), SirTimothy1 (07-30-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by prozac4312 View Post
    Perhaps, but it flows off the tongue better.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

... it will have windows logo on startup
    unix

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mihajmis For This Useful Post:

coolguy742 (07-30-2010), PlatoTheForms (07-30-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone FURBY8704's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by robertgoes2hart View Post
    I hope it's as revolutionary as the death grip
    I hope it comes with a free case

iPHONE 3G FW 4.0 JB & iPHONE 4 4.0 READY TO BE JB=]

I don't know what's funnier Apple's revolutionary use of the word revolutionary or this threads revolutionary comments, lol

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juggz143 For This Useful Post:

LSZ33 (07-29-2010), robertgoes2hart (07-30-2010)

OS X doesn't need anything changed, it doesn't need a 'revolutionary' upgrade. It needs some serious rework in it's graphics drivers. Fix that, make it somewhere remotely close to Windows 7 and it'll be almost perfect. Graphics drivers are seriously killing OS X for me.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to KartRacer For This Useful Post:

PlatoTheForms (07-30-2010)

It will be a magical revolution of OSX.

Consider me curious of it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
    It will be a magical revolution of OSX.

Consider me curious of it.
    ... or "revolutional" magic
    unix

21. The Following User Says Thank You to mihajmis For This Useful Post:

zozodouce (07-29-2010)

Perhaps it will run on hardware less than $3000?

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yomamashump For This Useful Post:

PlatoTheForms (07-30-2010), Spoooner (07-30-2010), staterunner180 (07-30-2010)

Thanks

Hopefully Apple will update those video card drivers for OS X 10.7.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

Oooooookay. Me = 

I heard, pocket protector, . Yup went way over my head... Lol

Quote Originally Posted by yomamashump View Post

OSX does. They have one under 1k; MacMini.
    Last edited by Cer0; 07-29-2010 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KartRacer View Post
    OS X doesn't need anything changed, it doesn't need a 'revolutionary' upgrade. It needs some serious rework in it's graphics drivers. Fix that, make it somewhere remotely close to Windows 7 and it'll be almost perfect. Graphics drivers are seriously killing OS X for me.
    Are you kidding me?? What's so great about Windows 7 graphics? Snow Leopard blows it out of the water even on speed and functionality. What graphics drivers are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by yomamashump View Post
    most of apple's systems are much less than $3000 you troll. Now STFU and GTFO.

Twitter: @tshoults

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to moon#pie For This Useful Post:

awesomeSlayer (07-29-2010), jiniej (07-30-2010)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast