+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: iMac, Mac Pro Get Speed Bumps

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Both the iMac and Mac Pro lines were refreshed today , with the iMac receiving new Core i3, i5 and i7 configuration and the Mac Pro with options for up
...
  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Union Square, Somerville, Mass.
    Posts
    919
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 995 Times in 401 Posts

    Default iMac, Mac Pro Get Speed Bumps


    Both the iMac and Mac Pro lines were refreshed today, with the iMac receiving new Core i3, i5 and i7 configuration and the Mac Pro with options for up to 12 physical processing cores. Both product lines have new ATI graphics and fast SSD drives available as options. The new iMac is the first Apple computer to feature a Core i3 chip.

    The iMac, which was last refreshed in October 2009, can now be purchased with dual-core Intel Core i3 and Core i5 speeds up to 3.6 GHz, and quad-core Core i5 and Core i7 at up to 2.93 GHz. Graphics is improved with the option of an ATI Radeon HD 5670 discrete coprocessor card with 512MB GDDR3 memory. The iMac's card slot on the now supports the SDXC format, and 256GB solid state drives (SSDs), with up to 215 MB/s data transfer rates, are available as build-to-order options on the new model.

    The Mac Pro finally received the refresh it had been missing for over a year, with this introduction of new hexacore chips in single or double processor configurations. Dual 2.66 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon X5650s or a pair of 2.93 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon X5670s can be installed on new Mac Pros for 12 physical cores, with hyperthreading technology to allow for 24 logical cores. Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing, called the refreshed Mac Pro "the most powerful and configurable Mac we've ever made," noting that there were "over a billion possible configurations." The high end desktop is also available with single or dual ATI Radeon HD cards, large mechanical hard disks or up to 4 512 GB SSDs (!) for extremely fast disk access.

    The Mac Pro starts at $2,499 US and will be available in August. The Core i3 iMac starts at $1,199 while the 27-inch iMac with a quad-core Intel Core i5 CPU has a base price of $1,999. All iMac models are available and shipping now.
    Last edited by Paul Daniel Ash; 07-27-2010 at 08:15 AM.

  2. #2
    adp
    adp is offline
    Livin the iPhone Life adp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    South FL
    Posts
    1,789
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 460 Times in 321 Posts

    They also introduced the Magic Trackpad today

    Magic Trackpad - Apple Store (U.S.)

    12 cores is crazy. Max configuration comes out to about $22K
    Last edited by adp; 07-27-2010 at 08:07 AM.
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to adp For This Useful Post:

    Poseidon79 (07-27-2010)

  4. #3
    apatia z3r01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    5,698
    Thanks
    82
    Thanked 886 Times in 557 Posts

    Im definitely getting the track pad tomorrow , I need that lol, goodbye mouse (although i still love my magic mouse)
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

  5. #4
    iPhoneaholic zoso10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    /dev/null
    Posts
    470
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 36 Times in 31 Posts

    I just bought my iMac for college two days ago....
    I knew this update was coming but I thought it was coming later, I have terrible luck.

  6. #5
    iPhone? More like MyPhone macsoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    291
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 25 Times in 21 Posts

    12 cores wow bet thats pricey

  7. #6
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    26
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 7 Times in 3 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by adp View Post
    They also introduced the Magic Trackpad today

    Magic Trackpad - Apple Store (U.S.)

    12 cores is crazy. Max configuration comes out to about $22K
    How so? I only got mine to $4,500 -ish.

  8. #7
    Developing Developer moon#pie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5,215
    Thanks
    781
    Thanked 372 Times in 307 Posts

    he's talking with like, 32GB RAM. 4 512GB ssd's ect.


    Twitter: @tshoults

  9. #8
    adp
    adp is offline
    Livin the iPhone Life adp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    South FL
    Posts
    1,789
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 460 Times in 321 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by greekking23 View Post
    How so? I only got mine to $4,500 -ish.
    I'm talking 2 30" monitors, 8TB of memory, 32GB of RAM, 4 video cards, max apps, etc.
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

  10. #9
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Milky Way, Solar System, Earth
    Posts
    142
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    ^^
    8TB of memory... 8 Terabytes... :-D Nice joke! ;-)

    To the topic.
    To be honest, i expected more updates (hoping for USB 3.0 but not believing it), but was almost certain of SATA 3.0 with new veloceraptor HDD (as an option) for iMac and SATA 3.0 / SAS 2.0 for mac pro with 10/15k RPM SAS 2 drives. It is unfortunate i was mistaken...

    BTW, pauldanielash, you forgot about the new 27" Led Cinema Display.

    Edit:
    As of 17:35 CET Mac Pro on apple store is still the "old" model.
    Last edited by dennder; 07-27-2010 at 09:40 AM.
    PRAETORIANNI NONNUMQUAM IN PROELIO NUMQUAM IN BELLO SUPERANTUR

  11. #10
    adp
    adp is offline
    Livin the iPhone Life adp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    South FL
    Posts
    1,789
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 460 Times in 321 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by dennder View Post
    ^^
    8TB of memory... 8 Terabytes... :-D Nice joke! ;-)

    To the topic.
    To be honest, i expected more updates (hoping for USB 3.0 but not believing it), but was almost certain of SATA 3.0 with new veloceraptor HDD (as an option) for iMac and SATA 3.0 / SAS 2.0 for mac pro with 10/15k RPM SAS 2 drives. It is unfortunate i was mistaken...

    Edit:
    As of 17:35 CET Mac Pro on apple store is still the "old" model.
    Well 8TB of hard drive space... (4x2TB)
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

  12. #11
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    60
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 7 Times in 2 Posts

    lol at mac now you can do more boring stuff faster

  13. #12
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Milky Way, Solar System, Earth
    Posts
    142
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    Well 8TB of hard drive space... (4x2TB)
    Yeah, i've got that from your previous post.

    Me and almost everyone else is used to RAM = memory. That's why ;-)
    PRAETORIANNI NONNUMQUAM IN PROELIO NUMQUAM IN BELLO SUPERANTUR

  14. #13
    MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    SC California
    Posts
    620
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 45 Times in 37 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by adp View Post
    Well 8TB of hard drive space... (4x2TB)
    Regardless ... Who needs that much? That's a whole lot of Porn, Just kidding

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to santacruzlocal For This Useful Post:

    SirTimothy1 (07-27-2010)

  16. #14
    Livin the iPhone Life tudtran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Foco, Colorado
    Posts
    1,003
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 39 Times in 30 Posts

    Nice

  17. #15
    MMi's "X" Member awesomeSlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Dragonspiral Tower in 3DS
    Posts
    4,524
    Thanks
    114
    Thanked 347 Times in 259 Posts

    12 Physical processing core? Dang!

    Very good refresh!
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

  18. #16
    adp
    adp is offline
    Livin the iPhone Life adp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    South FL
    Posts
    1,789
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 460 Times in 321 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by santacruzlocal View Post
    Regardless ... Who needs that much? That's a whole lot of Porn, Just kidding
    Lol I'm just pointing out the max price @ max specs. I'd never see why I would need more than 500Gb, but then again 10 years ago my computer had 8Gb of storage and now that's my RAM
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

  19. #17
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    17
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    @snap1500

    "lol at mac now you can do more boring stuff faster"


    ......I felt compelled to log on and express to you my wondrous opinion of that comment:

    Good input!

    In case you're a little bit too retarded to work it out, that was sarcasm.
    Why are you even on this site if you think Macs are boring? Granted that this site provides a large iPhone and iPoT community that may very well use Windows or Linux or any other given operating system, but well then if that is in fact the case and you're an iPhone or iPoT user... you're using a mac.

    Forgive me for ranting, but it just baffles me that someone who dislikes Macs would go to the effort to make an account here only to flame posts like this?

    Anyway snap1500 i'm sure anyone with enough mullah to purchase either one of these babies will certainly find it provides a more than satisfactory output for when it comes to doing 'boring stuff faster'

    Kisses <3

  20. #18
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    60
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 7 Times in 2 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Starfall View Post
    @snap1500

    "lol at mac now you can do more boring stuff faster"


    ......I felt compelled to log on and express to you my wondrous opinion of that comment:

    Good input!

    In case you're a little bit too retarded to work it out, that was sarcasm.
    Why are you even on this site if you think Macs are boring? Granted that this site provides a large iPhone and iPoT community that may very well use Windows or Linux or any other given operating system, but well then if that is in fact the case and you're an iPhone or iPoT user... you're using a mac.

    Forgive me for ranting, but it just baffles me that someone who dislikes Macs would go to the effort to make an account here only to flame posts like this?

    Anyway snap1500 i'm sure anyone with enough mullah to purchase either one of these babies will certainly find it provides a more than satisfactory output for when it comes to doing 'boring stuff faster'

    Kisses <3

    Calm down...geez, get all upset about it. make me feel like i hurt a child or something. not like i hate macs. good machine. good OS requiring little resource. I have a macbook pro and run osx on my PC. Can't afford a real mac desktop? no thanks. dont want to. im just waiting so that more games and more programs are available on mac. plus, i like to be able to upgrade and change what i feel without waiting for a refresh. so many choices, choices, choices . anyways, im a bit bored surfing on the macbook now. time to switch to PC and do some real work. i dont mean that the mac cant do real work, i just have some electronic diagrams i need to finish for a client and i have all my stuff on the pc. later on starcraft II!!!well you get what im trying to say. catch u later, sorry if i made u feel bad

    yay, parts are here to turn my iphone 4 back into a white one. thank you china suppliers!
    Last edited by snap1500; 07-27-2010 at 11:19 AM.

  21. #19
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    17
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    But snap1500... you did hurt a child, I am one, how does it feel to know you abuse children?
    Ah now see, the only reason I got a little worked up was because you implied that Macs, as systems, are only capable of 'boring', when in actual fact I would regard OS X (if we're talking about the OS when we say 'Mac') as the most un-boring OS available. I do own a Mac desktop, but it's a cheap one... a 2009 Mac mini, but i fully agree with "Can't afford a real mac desktop". I love apple products and sure, if I had the money to spank on anything I want with no repercussions, then i'd be rinsing their stock. But when you explain about upgrading, well the Mac Pro is certainly capable of letting you do so pretty much whenever, provided it's a supported upgrade (talking hardware here i'm guessing, in which case you would purchase a Mac knowing that you'll be restricted to what you're using, but this is also applied to whatever architecture you use) Anyhoo, long story short, I just don't understand how Macs can be regarded as boring? That's all

  22. #20
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    60
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 7 Times in 2 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Starfall View Post
    But snap1500... you did hurt a child, I am one, how does it feel to know you abuse children?
    Ah now see, the only reason I got a little worked up was because you implied that Macs, as systems, are only capable of 'boring', when in actual fact I would regard OS X (if we're talking about the OS when we say 'Mac') as the most un-boring OS available. I do own a Mac desktop, but it's a cheap one... a 2009 Mac mini, but i fully agree with "Can't afford a real mac desktop". I love apple products and sure, if I had the money to spank on anything I want with no repercussions, then i'd be rinsing their stock. But when you explain about upgrading, well the Mac Pro is certainly capable of letting you do so pretty much whenever, provided it's a supported upgrade (talking hardware here i'm guessing, in which case you would purchase a Mac knowing that you'll be restricted to what you're using, but this is also applied to whatever architecture you use) Anyhoo, long story short, I just don't understand how Macs can be regarded as boring? That's all
    i feel bad now. im sorry.

    there was a typo in the first post. i meant to say more boring stuff for me to do faster, hehe. not for everyone else. pcs are boring too. i do all my boring work and boring gaming and robotics on it so im bored as heck...

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts