+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Mac Pro Unavailable... Is a Refresh FINALLY Coming?

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Originally Posted by RICO_ What about viruses and spyware? I heard Macs were extremely resistant to picking them up. Is this overstated? All marketing hype for the sheep. This isn't
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    What about viruses and spyware? I heard Macs were extremely resistant to picking them up. Is this overstated?
    All marketing hype for the sheep. This isn't 1995 anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    Don't you love all this willy waving?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    What about viruses and spyware? I heard Macs were extremely resistant to picking them up. Is this overstated?
    If you get antivirus software, then it's a non-issue. Apple employees have said the same thing.

If someone sat down and coded a nice little virus specifically for Mac OS, it would be quite a spectacle.

And Macs don't have anywhere near the amount of support for virus/antivirus issues that PCs do.

At the end of the day, tech is just like cars: personal preference. It gets the job done, just in a slightly different way. Preference is based on opinion, which is why there's no good or bad decision besides price points. And I try to respect peoples' opinions.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

This is based on my own experience with HP. Not to be construed as fact.

Quote Originally Posted by greekking23 View Post
    Bought a 4GB memory, 500GB storage, 17.3" HP with Windows 7, blu ray, and some other specs for $680. Did a side by side with my buddies MacBook, identical speeds. Not worth the $1,000 premium.
    Good luck getting support from HP on that laptop. Have fun replacing their extremely cheap batteries. I'll pay the premium not to talk to some moron in India that has no clue how to fix a PC and have a computer that isn't cheaply made and I can go to literally hundreds of stores and get it fixed by someone that knows what they're doing. Sure the price is hugely different in the beginning, but overall quality and support sucks as far as HP goes. You'll have fun when that thing has to be reformatted every two years and replace batteries about the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Success.Is.Sweet View Post
    All marketing hype for the sheep. This isn't 1995 anymore.
    I've not had one virus on a windows computer since I built my first one 10 years ago. Anti-virus isn't needed if you don't visit the wrong corners of the web, be smart about what you open in your email, and know what you download. Viruses are overblown and overhyped. People who aren't responsible with their computer use spread them.
    Last edited by KartRacer; 07-23-2010 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

There is a little old saying "You get what you pay for". Obviously you shouldn't buy RAM or HD's from Apple because they rip you off for upgrades, but you get the base computer you want and sup it up and you are miles ahead of any HP computer or Windows. I remember when I bought a PC for "gaming" and the f*cking thing crashed with the BlueScreen of death, ran slow as f*ck with all the AntiVirus I was running. Calling HP or India as it is known to everybody else is a pain in the *** as they read their little scripts to you and charge you for a new OS and shipping to Solve your problem. The machine was also a space heater and an ambient noise creator. Do yourself a favor and get a Mac. I have yet to see a part by part side by side price comparison. Notice how the earlier comment didnt specify who supplied what parts to build those "Super computers" and how much each piece was for each. For all you know the guy was buying the cheap stuff for his make his own PC from Frys at $65 for a 1.5 TB HD and to build the Mac Pro he was buying the drive as an add on from Apple at $600. In the end you need some common sense, but don't get a sloppily hacked together piece of **** when you can have a crisp clean Apple machine Done Right.

Thanks

^^^^

I would only disagree if you are building your own desktop. If you want a fast PC that you can upgrade and cost you pretty cheap never buy a Mac desktop if that's what you care about. With an iMac that's it, you've bought what you'll always have. The iMacs are nothing more than fancy laptops and the Mac Pros are WAY overpriced for what hardware you get. It's easy to buy parts for less than half what a base Mac Pro costs and it'll be just as fast if not faster than a Mac Pro. The thing Apple has on everybody is notebooks, nothing compares in build quality and battery life just to name two. The whole Blu-Ray, HDMI, SD Card and other quibbles aside, NO ONE beats Apple at the notebook game if you want a quality PC with fantastic support. For what I paid for my MacBook Pro last year I would have had to buy 3 HPs, had no support to speak of and wouldn't have any resale value at all to get the equal benefit out of a mainstream PC laptop. This MacBook will hold more resale value in three years than an HP would in three months.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Comwiz View Post
    There is a little old saying "You get what you pay for". Obviously you shouldn't buy RAM or HD's from Apple because they rip you off for upgrades, but you get the base computer you want and sup it up and you are miles ahead of any HP computer or Windows. I remember when I bought a PC for "gaming" and the f*cking thing crashed with the BlueScreen of death, ran slow as f*ck with all the AntiVirus I was running. Calling HP or India as it is known to everybody else is a pain in the *** as they read their little scripts to you and charge you for a new OS and shipping to Solve your problem. The machine was also a space heater and an ambient noise creator. Do yourself a favor and get a Mac. I have yet to see a part by part side by side price comparison. Notice how the earlier comment didnt specify who supplied what parts to build those "Super computers" and how much each piece was for each. For all you know the guy was buying the cheap stuff for his make his own PC from Frys at $65 for a 1.5 TB HD and to build the Mac Pro he was buying the drive as an add on from Apple at $600. In the end you need some common sense, but don't get a sloppily hacked together piece of **** when you can have a crisp clean Apple machine Done Right.
    Ahhh, the true iSheep emerges. Trying to justify his stupidly expensive purchase by saying that the Intel parts for a Mac are somehow built better than the exact same Intel parts for any other computer. Sad really, seeing these idiots pissing away their money at a 350% markup over the exact same parts without at a fruit logo on them. At the same time, it is kind of funny to see how stupid they really are.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Comwiz View Post
    Nice try. But I'm willing to bet they were both equally compatible parts. There wasn't one single thing unrealistic or misguided about the point he was showing. If you take two computers basically the exact same guts and the price difference between a mac and a pc is really that outrageous. Sorry but AppleCare isn't worth $1000 let alone $2000-$4000 more. It's not like you won't be buying a new one in two years anyway. I just love your fanboyism though. And no I'm not a pc fanboy by any stretch of the imagination....I own apple products but I would never pay thousands of dollars more for a computer that has equal or less specs. I can take $1500 and build a much, much better equipped pc for at least $2000 less than a mac with equivalent equipment. I don't care if AppleCare provides free b.j.'s with service....

Thanks

^

The up front cost is higher, yes. But in the end the quality, the support and the resale value of it may be worth it to some people. I think my $3000 MacBook is worth more than an $800 HP laptop any day. It's my money and my investment. It's all relative, loyalties aside. I'd rather be able to get support at a retail store for any problems I may have rather than get bounced around on a telephone call to India and then get hung up on trying to get a faulty DVD drive fixed. Fanboy is such an immature term anyway. People like what they like, no ones business but theirs. I had a huge falling out with Apple and my MacBook 3 weeks after I got it, but a simple trip to the store and I got the whole thing replaced no questions asked. Try that with HP, NewEgg, Dell or any other retailer. I will agree that it's foolish to pay for a Mac Pro depending on your needs, and you should never buy upgrades for anything from Apple because it's a complete ripoff. Looking at the up front cost isn't ideal either. Support is worth alot of money of done right and I guarantee that resale value on any Mac, ANY Mac after 3-5 years is probably triple what any mainstream PC maker could ever dream of. The big price tag is the whole experience, from what it costs out the door, to support for it, all the way to buying a new one and selling the old one. 99% of PC makers fail miserably at it while Apple succeeds.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KartRacer View Post
    ^

The up front cost is higher, yes. But in the end the quality, the support and the resale value of it may be worth it to some people. I think my $3000 MacBook is worth more than an $800 HP laptop any day. It's my money and my investment. It's all relative, loyalties aside. I'd rather be able to get support at a retail store for any problems I may have rather than get bounced around on a telephone call to India and then get hung up on trying to get a faulty DVD drive fixed. Fanboy is such an immature term anyway. People like what they like, no ones business but theirs. I had a huge falling out with Apple and my MacBook 3 weeks after I got it, but a simple trip to the store and I got the whole thing replaced no questions asked. Try that with HP, NewEgg, Dell or any other retailer. I will agree that it's foolish to pay for a Mac Pro depending on your needs, and you should never buy upgrades for anything from Apple because it's a complete ripoff. Looking at the up front cost isn't ideal either. Support is worth alot of money of done right and I guarantee that resale value on any Mac, ANY Mac after 3-5 years is probably triple what any mainstream PC maker could ever dream of. The big price tag is the whole experience, from what it costs out the door, to support for it, all the way to buying a new one and selling the old one. 99% of PC makers fail miserably at it while Apple succeeds.
    Any respectable retailer/company will offer a 30-90 day guarantee on whatever they sell, then a warranty against manufacturer defects usually for up to a year after purchase. Your point is moot. Newegg, Dell, and HP would all repair, replace, or refund a laptop if something failed on it 3 weeks after purchase. If you're happy, that's fine, but you paid $3000 for the same hardware that's in your generic $600 laptop these days.

Thanks

For those who attack KartRacer, you guys are mistaken in one very specific manner.

Intel chips are intel chips, no doubt, but this is not what we are talking about. I also agree, that price tag on some very common HW like HDD is way way way way over.

But guys, please, do me and others a favor a go to OSX86 project forums and HW database. Have you personally built a single }{@ckintosh? Since 2006, when i first came to that idea and visited those forums, }{@ building became much more easier, but you still cant put any HW and should choose parts carefully, so they are compatible with each other and that there are available drivers from the community. I'd like you to show me dual-CPU motherboards other than apple, that have no issues with drivers for Mac OS ;-)

On the other hand, no-one denied you the possibility for buying base mac-pro model and get upgrade parts as RAM, HDD's - no issues at all; RAID (if you wish), GPU/'s - some careful consideration; for, as you say, normal price. Look at OWC for example, their ram upgrades are tested to work with mac hardware and the price is not so steep. I've also heard rumors, that OWC does not test those upgrades, and this is just a marketing trick - so be it. GoTo Newegg and get anything you desire.
    PRAETORIANNI NONNUMQUAM IN PROELIO NUMQUAM IN BELLO SUPERANTUR

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Success.Is.Sweet View Post
    Any respectable retailer/company will offer a 30-90 day guarantee on whatever they sell, then a warranty against manufacturer defects usually for up to a year after purchase. Your point is moot. .......

If you're happy, that's fine, but you paid $3000 for the same hardware that's in your generic $600 laptop these days.
    Yes, they do have a warranty. You just have to call them and have to talk to 8 people to get the wrong answer most of the time. Try getting your computer fixed by the geek squad or another brick and motar store. They'll either screw it up, or tell you to piss off. With Apple it's one manufacturer and the same person for support. I just go to an Apple store and get it fixed. Worth the extra dough to me.

I'd love to see a 17" laptop that's got a 9600m, dual core intel processor, 8 hour battery, runs TWO OS's straight out of the box, has as fantastic a support and repair network, has as high a resale value, and is as thin as my MacBook Pro for less than what I paid. Care to give any examples? There are ZERO laptops on the market right now that have just the same hardware (that includes what they stuff it in too ie the actual laptop itself) as my MacBook for 600 bucks. None. They may have the same GPU/CPU but the chassis will be cheap plastic, the battery will crap out on two hours or less (mine dies in just under three hours running Winows 7 and that's the same battery I get consistent 6 hours out of in OS X) and the screen resolution will probably be lower. I'll 'overpay' to have all that stuff included, because you're looking at raw hardware, I'm looking at what I'll have 3-5 years from now.

Sure the parts are pretty close to identical, but it's the sum of the parts that matters to me. There's more to it than just chipsets and number of cores. They don't charge just for a lit logo. Besides, it's my money so I don't see why you feel the need to insult others for spending their money on things they think or worth it. Nobody deserved to be called an 'iSheep'. That's not even a good insult anyway. What does it matter to you what I spend my money on? Overall Apple notebooks are a better deal to me, no matter how cheap that HP costs across the counter. The Mac Pro prices are a complete ripoff though, I wholeheartedly agree with you on that. No reason to spend what they want for one of those at all!
    Last edited by KartRacer; 07-24-2010 at 03:16 AM.

Thanks

I'd love to see a 17" laptop that's got a 9600m, dual core intel processor, 8 hour battery, runs TWO OS's straight out of the box, has as fantastic a support and repair network
    I dunno about anyone else, but since I've had my own computers (not shared with the family), I've never had to call customer support for any antivirus or hardware issues. A lot of newer laptops are getting batteries with more cells that can last upto 8 hours (I can't remember which brands but I think Asus was one) and MacBooks can't run 2 OSes out of the box; it doesn't come with Windows pre-installed.

Green Apple
    Thanks

:-)

Thanks

wow finally. cant wait to see what the prices are for these loaded bad boys

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by awesomeiPod View Post
    For those who really dislike Windows PCs...
    Windows does't make the PCs, companies like Dell and Toshiba do. And If you have a hackintosh, then you have no software or hardware on your computer made by Microsoft
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Thanks

@the guy with the pic proving alot.
    I agree with you but look at it this way, its all about brands.
    Why do air jordans cost most than regular shoes? The brand.
    Apple has a big rep. in the Tech community, Windows is and will always be the higest, but Apple is reaching out.
    If you ask a little kid why they want a ipod they'll say because "apple made it"...
    Apple sucks in all kinds of ways but they still have good products. Though the prices are too costly.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    Windows does't make the PCs, companies like Dell and Toshiba do. And If you have a hackintosh, then you have no software or hardware on your computer made by Microsoft
    I meant those who dislike PCs. Why did I say Windows?
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by awesomeo4000 View Post
    A lot of newer laptops are getting batteries with more cells that can last upto 8 hours (I can't remember which brands but I think Asus was one) and MacBooks can't run 2 OSes out of the box; it doesn't come with Windows pre-installed.
    My point still is that there's no other manufacturer that can offer what my MacBook does. No one comes close to the overall package with the same hardware. And I know that Windows isn't installed out of the box. You're really stretching on that one because I never said it did, I said it CAN. What others think I've paid $3k for a laptop I see it as I've paid that much for two laptops. Either way, calling people sheep for spending their money is dumb. I drink juicy juice and I'm definitely not a kid, does that make me stupid for buying what's essentially marketed towards kids?

Thanks

My point still is that there's no other manufacturer that can offer what my MacBook does. No one comes close to the overall package with the same hardware. And I know that Windows isn't installed out of the box. You're really stretching on that one because I never said it did, I said it CAN. What others think I've paid $3k for a laptop I see it as I've paid that much for two laptops. Either way, calling people sheep for spending their money is dumb. I drink juicy juice and I'm definitely not a kid, does that make me stupid for buying what's essentially marketed towards kids?

Yes.

[RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dale1v View Post

Yes.

lol

Quote Originally Posted by awesomeo4000 View Post
    A lot of newer laptops are getting batteries with more cells that can last upto 8 hours (I can't remember which brands but I think Asus was one)
    Well, guess what? On the tech specs on the Apple Website...

MacBook lasts for up to 10 hours.

MacBook Pro lasts for up to 8-9 hours.

I don't see any company beating Apple in battery life for now.
    Last edited by awesomeSlayer; 07-24-2010 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!