+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iMac Shortages Suspected Ahead of Looming Refresh

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Product shortages and Apple go hand in hand. Given this dynamic duo it should come as no surprise that there are reports of potential short-term iMac shortages in the days
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,477 Times in 564 Posts

Default iMac Shortages Suspected Ahead of Looming Refresh

Product shortages and Apple go hand in hand. Given this dynamic duo it should come as no surprise that there are reports of potential short-term iMac shortages in the days to come. According to sources cited by Apple Insider, Apple has already started notifying both its direct and indirect sales channels about the likely product shortfalls. Apple is intentionally diminishing the older inventories to make room for new models, which may be rolled out before the end of summer.

Those in the know report that Apple has halted production of the entry level 21.5-inch, 3.06GHz iMac. Coinciding with this news are similar stories of Apple's stateside reseller channels getting word from Apple that they should work to sell as much of their current inventory as possible in order to have adequate stocking capacity for whatever is to come.

In recent years, whenever rumblings begin about inventory depletion and intentional drawbacks, it usually isn't long before Apple introduces a new or revamped product. In this case, an iMac refresh could possibly serve up a dual-core Core i5 model, quad-core Core i5 and Core i7 configurations.
    There is also rampant talk of the new iMacs being the first to sport Intel's Core i3 processor at "the low-end." All told, there is no shortage of bells and whistles (like the USB 3.0 specification) that could pop up in the iMacs. Long overdue and with many potential upgrade components readily accessible, the iMac refresh could be very interesting and an instantly hot commodity.

Apple Insider

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

CaryDude (07-24-2010), reaves205 (07-22-2010), Wilbourn (07-22-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone DaMan05's Avatar
    Thanks

All I want is Core i5's in the 13" MBP before school starts. Or else I'm gonna have to go with a Windows laptop. Cause I'm not getting a new laptop that has a generation old processor...

iPhone? More like MyPhone Eagleye's Avatar
    Thanks

Blue ray? Prob never gonna happen with the rumor of Apples new HD format. (First)
    Last edited by Eagleye; 07-22-2010 at 01:47 PM. Reason: dam.. not first.. lol

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I wish that Apple wouldn't cripple iMacs with crappy mobile GPUs and mobile CPUs. Completely kills the desire for one of these machines, cause I'm not buying a way overpriced Mac pro.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Antman217's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleye View Post
    Blue ray? Prob never gonna happen with the rumor of Apples new HD format. (First)
    Yeah Apple said they want to keep things digital because its the future of entertainment to them lol. They are probably right but I really like having the actual thing thats why I kept my PSP 3000 instead of getting the PSP GO

iPhone? More like MyPhone Eagleye's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Antman217 View Post
    Yeah Apple said they want to keep things digital because its the future of entertainment to them lol. They are probably right but I really like having the actual thing thats why I kept my PSP 3000 instead of getting the PSP GO
    Agreed. There is still something nice about having something physical to hold after you purchase it. And dare I say... I still get some satisfaction of brick-and-mortar stores every now and then. (dont tell anyone )

MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Thanks

Whats next iPhone 3D? Mac book pro 3D?

My iPhone is a Part of Me Wilbourn's Avatar
    Thanks

Well this is welcomed news to me since I came close to purchasing an iMac not to long ago. When they upgrade them I'll pull the trigger on getting one. Just as long as they don't (which I'm sure apple will thou) upgrade the Macbook Pro's anytime soon since I just bought mine less than 2 weeks ago....
    You see that "Thanks!" button? It likes it when you click it!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

All I want is a refresh on the MBP's. i5 cores, with 4 gig ram, and 250gb hard drive, and I'm set to go for college. The core duo's have been around for too long, and i5 and i7's are really fast. Don't know much about em tho lol, except they are fast.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Wilbourn's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by piston597 View Post
    All I want is a refresh on the MBP's. i5 cores, with 4 gig ram, and 250gb hard drive, and I'm set to go for college. The core duo's have been around for too long, and i5 and i7's are really fast. Don't know much about em tho lol, except they are fast.
    Yea the Core duo's have been out for a minute. My Dell Inspiron I bought in June 2009 has one in there and my MBP i just got has one as well. I know the i5 and i7's are new but how fast are they Ghz wise? I've only seen commercials for them but haven't seen anything about their performance ....
    You see that "Thanks!" button? It likes it when you click it!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Wilbourn For This Useful Post:

evolutionarymc (07-22-2010)

Thanks

Apple is still buying Mac computer.

Thanks

Sounds good. It sucks that apple holds out on things like blu-ray or hdmi. I wonder what they'll adding now.

iPhone? More like MyPhone cjgonzales1900's Avatar
    Thanks

Maybe HDMI in this one because they did add it to the Mac Mini.
    "Answering 1 Question at a Time."

iPhone 4: 32GB iOS 4.1 JB
    MacBook Pro 13.3": 2.26ghz/4GB/160GB SL 10.6.5
    iMac 21.5": 3.06ghz/4GB/500GB SL 10.6.5

Thanks

The i7s come in 3.06, 2.93, and 2.66 ghz. The excitement comes from the 8 processing threads and three channels of 1066 ddr3

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

I love my 27in i5. Wish I could have got the i7 but they don't have them in the stores only online. I don't like waiting for shipping stuff if I can get them at a store nearby.

Wonder what they will bring to the new models. Maybe some graphics now they have Steam/Valve to help push little more gaming.

iPhone? More like MyPhone macsoldier's Avatar
    Thanks

Right in time for the holidays to come.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleye View Post
    You are the first douche though

Thanks

No not the right time I'm just getting my iMac for college if they update it at the end of September I'm gonna be a little testy, vie wanted the i5 or i7 in the iMac since it came to the MB Pro