+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 11.6-inch MacBook Air This Year?

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
The next-generation MacBook Air will have an 11-inch screen and an ultra-low voltage (ULV) Intel Core i-series processor, according to the Taiwan-based publication DigiTimes . The report - which as
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default 11.6-inch MacBook Air This Year?

The next-generation MacBook Air will have an 11-inch screen and an ultra-low voltage (ULV) Intel Core i-series processor, according to the Taiwan-based publication DigiTimes. The report - which as is usual for DigiTimes cites "upstream component makers" - also echoes increasingly-common rumors that the new iPod touch released this year will have a camera. The report says that the refreshed MacBook Air would be produced in relatively few numbers, with only 400,000 slated to ship by the end of the year.

If the report is borne out, it would move the MacBook Air to almost netbook size, althouugh at a very significant price premium compared to most ultraportables: Apple's lightest notebook starts at the hefty price of $1,499 US. The DigiTimes story, with credit to senior analyst Mingchi Kuo, claims that the new Air will be thinner and lighter than the current model. The computer will supposedly also have a ULV Intel CPU, possibly the Core i5-560UM that was seen in a leaked Intel roadmap back in May. Other persistent rumors, such as a 3G chip, or more SSD options, were not mentioned in the report.

The Air has always occupied a strange position in Apple's product lineup: performance like the low-end MacBooks but priced near the MacBook Pro. It's done reasonably well, but it's far outsold by the mainstream models. If it does in fact only ship in limited quantities this year, it could indicate that the smaller MacBook Air may be a specialty model, or a trial balloon to test consumer demand. Analysts have been challenging Apple for years to come out with some sort of netbook, though the company has persistently ignored those calls. With a lower cost chip, Apple could reduce the price somewhat, but it's unlikely we'll ever see sub-$500 Apple netbooks.

Kuo also claims that the fourth-generation iPod touch expected this fall will have an A4 processor and a 3-megapixel camera. Though other rumors have said that the touch will have two cameras, with a front-facing sensor allowing FaceTime support, but Kuo didn't refer to a second camera in his report. The next generation iPod touch is expected in August or September, when Apple has traditionally refreshed the iPod line.

Source: MacRumors

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ah.
    An Apple netbook.
    Not a bad idea.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,868 Times in 2,208 Posts

I want a Mac book air so bad I almost bought one last nite and sold my white MacBook

Formerly Known As rpgpromaster EddieLeonard's Avatar
    Thanks

i would buy it if it is $1000 or less
    Follow me on Twitter: EddieLeonard - - - - - - - -If i have helped in anyway at all, Please click the "Thanks!" button
    Stalk me on FaceBook: Eddie Leonard

MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rpgpromaster View Post
    i would buy it if it is $1000 or less
    ditto!!!

adp
    Thanks

Mini Macbook, or oversized iPad? That is the question
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

iPhone? More like MyPhone DarkDragonAn's Avatar
    Thanks

I always like the Macbook Air for my wife, but is too damn expensive for that much money I get a regular macbook pro. They should stop making the Macbook and replace it with the Macbook Air and sale it for $1000 now that is were it belong and a great deal.

Thanks

macbook air are just apple's way of saying "oh yes we did!". A Macbook pro is plenty thin for a computer. in fact, sometime I have to lift the computer to unplug stubborn headphone of usb drives.

Twitter: @tshoults

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

The 13.3" Macbook Air wouldn't fit in my motorcycle's tank bag while the 11.6" Alienware M11x would (barely; form factor could easily fit a 12.x display). I probably would have ended up with one of these otherwise. Nice job, Apple. Considering the "who is it for?!" questions the first prompted, you seem to have finally answered that (ultrapotrtable but not netbook market).

Just don't skimp on the graphics, Apple. The M11x has spoiled me and it was the only reason I was passing over netbooks in the first place.
    Last edited by CZroe; 07-15-2010 at 12:13 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Joseph_Prophet's Avatar
    Thanks

I just wish that the 13-inch MacBook Pro would be updated to an Intel Core i-series processor. But I am psyched that the new iPod Touch is getting a camera.
    From the Fire We Shall Ascend

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

MacBook air is dead

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph_Prophet View Post
    I just wish that the 13-inch MacBook Pro would be updated to an Intel Core i-series processor. But I am psyched that the new iPod Touch is getting a camera.
    currently, if that happened the the graphics would suck because no integrated nVidia cards for now except on the i-processors. thats why apple kept the core2due's because there is not room enough in a 13in for a discrete card.

And about the ipod touch getting a camera, That's called a rumor. That means that no one knows until steve-o walks up on stage in september and says so.
    Last edited by moon#pie; 07-15-2010 at 02:39 PM.

Twitter: @tshoults

Thanks

I don't get the appeal of a Macbook Air, unless your biggest hobby is wasting money
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Thanks

I don't really like the Air since it has no built-in DVD/CD drive. Since its price is near the MacBook Pro, buy that instead.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Thanks

I think my Macbook Air is the perfect side. Don't need to go smaller. If anything go bigger.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    I don't get the appeal of a Macbook Air, unless your biggest hobby is wasting money
    True that
    Last edited by Organdoner; 07-15-2010 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

i wanted an air originally, but the 1st models were priced around $1800 and the better CPU model was $2K+. If I was gonna spend $2K on a laptop, you better believe it would be the 17" mbp which is what I have. If someone wants an apple netbook, why not just buy an HP netbook and put OS X on it? I bought one to try it out and it worked pretty good. But I opted to refund it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

i would like to see this !

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

will this convert all those netbook > hackbook users??

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    When the iPad first came out, I bought 2 and took them back to Canada. I ended up trading the $500 16mb wifi iPad for a MacBook Air.

Definitely the air is not worth more than $1000.

Mind you to those users bashing the Air as a money waster, I would have to say it has it's place.

The Air spoils absolutely in it's size, I can fit it in my work folder I usually carry around, it's a little bigger than a pad of paper. I don't think twice about throwing it in a bag whenever i go somewhere, and don't feel bad I carried around extra weight if i didn't use it. But it is a real computer, 13", not a crappy netbook.

Having it with me is what matters - if it was a MBP i wouldnt carry it. With a jailbroken iPhone constantly crashing on Blackra1n and Blacksn0w, the Air has saved my iPhone on vacation twice already.

I already have a iMac as my core computer. It is perfect as a companion notebook. I've already had my notebook stolen twice that I've learned NOT to carry around all my personal and work e-belongings on my notebook. The iMac is for that.

Yes if you have the money a MBA is a luxury. Besides, who buys an apple product if they don't have money? Dollar-for-dollar any Apple product is 50% to 100% overpriced, when compared on hardware alone.
    Last edited by turncoat; 07-18-2010 at 05:26 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost