+ Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Don't Hold Your Breath For Blu-Ray on Macs: Jobs

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Doesn't bother me one way or another.
    Thanks

Doesn't bother me one way or another.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

[QUOTE=Bluprint;5323458]Nothing It might be dead to you perhaps because you have no technology to support it. Your probably that mac freak that lives in a basement.

hahahaha POOR PEOPLE ALWAYS THINK THAT EVERYONE IS LIKE THEM,IS BASEMENT CLEAN? CUZ I DONT STAY IN MY BASEMENT ONLY YOU WOULD KNOW WHAT IS LIKE TO STAY IN THE BASEMENT HAHAHAHAHAHAH.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Steve Jobs once said 'people just aren't using DVDs any more.' So then why do all Macs have them? Why not give an option for a BD / DVD burner and just let people decide?

I love Apple but it drives me nuts when they justify decisions with random reasons that just don't make any sense... especially when the truth is that they just don't want to pay the licensing. So fine, just say that and let that be it... don't say 'it's a dying format' just because your company doesn't make blu-ray discs.

Green Apple
    Thanks

It hink that Stevie here isn't giving the people what they want because even when people get what they want, they only want more, I know this is completely irrelevant what I'm about to say, but look at the Droid owners, they JUST got Android 2.1 and now they want 2.2. Mr. Jobs is just not giving the people what they want because even if they get what they want, they won't be happy, they'll only want more, and Jobs would rather have these people be pissed and bitchy rather than greedy

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Blu Ray is mainly for the PS3 and games need Blu Ray, unless you have a super fast broadband connection and can download 35GB and more games in the future with ease, Blu Ray will be needed.

Until Mac's can do proper full HD gaming, Blu Ray is not needed.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I agree with 'jbardi' the US ISP companies are making people think they are getting High Speed internet when in other countries that would be like dial-up for them. The ISP in the US are capable of provide real High Speed Internet they are just to greedy. This is what we are able to get without a cap..

Thanks

@ Jbardi - remember watching Indiana Jones - The Temple of Doom Director's Cut on 3 Laserdiscs with sides A & B on each? Gr8 memories (right)

Honestly, if I want to invest in a dying, dead, whatever format, why can it not be my own friggin' choice? I wanna have full 1080P on my 55" Samsung, but I'd love to use my Mac as a player because I personally don't want a dedicated unit for those few cinema evenings at home. Now before anyone goes rampant on how stupid, inefficient or whatever that may be: You're not me, and it's my opinion/choice. Did ya hear Steve?

Thanks

story of my life
    PS3 ID : glassJAw624 : add it

Thanks

Default Wtf??
    Why the hell would i want to download HD movies from my iphone on AT&T's LIMITED internet access. Is it just me or does that just sound DUMB as hell??!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

So if "Blu-ray" is not worth the effort then why even bother with a much outdated DVD-DL in my MacBookPro. What a joke. Why should Steve get to tell me that i don't need "Blu-ray" burning capability. Shouldn't I get to decide that? In Australia not everybody has UNLIMITED internet bandwidth like in the US, so a lot of crap like "AppleTV" & "TiVo" are really useless in this country. I really hate how Apple will bring out these amazing devices and then spoil them by not adding features that are "Standard" every other device such as "Blu-ray" (Macs) and USB (iPad).

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Why?
    I think everyone is missing the point of this. It is not really about which format is better, but the option that is not being provided. Apple should let the user decide if they want blu-ray or not, instead of cramming the word "NO" down their throat. Maybe discs will go away evenly or maybe a new medium will come out, but the facts are:

- We are in the US (Slow download speeds comparatively)
    - Streaming is just not there yet. (Quality, fast download, popularity, etc)
    - No guarantee that you will ALWAYS have internet. (Outages, storms, etc)
    - Discs are easier for most people. (Red Box)
    - Blu-ray is still not the dominate disc format.
    - Blu-ray is still costly.
    - Some people like having physical media of some kind.
    - DVD's will die regardless.

Those are the facts and you can take them how you like. The point is that we live in the US and as long it is a democracy and their are options then their will ALWAYS be more than one way to consume.

Personally I like both! I like streaming for the fact that I don't have to go anywhere if I decide I want to watch a movie, but I prefer the quality of Blu-ray completely. Even if movies were no longer on Blu-ray format I would still want to use it as a backup medium. I would prefer to actually have all my movies on one big server that I can just pick the one want, but I am not about to wait for it to download. (At least not HD) I do like the fact that they have started adding digital copies when you buy a Blu-Ray movie, which is nice. (I would still like to see a greater quality from it though.)

If you want to stream, then stream and if you want a Blu-ray, then buy one.

Well that's my two sense. : )
    Last edited by ND1612; 07-01-2010 at 06:39 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

I don't think digital will kick off till ISPs take back the throttled data caps. I would love to stream all I want but there are some ISPs that put limits on how much you can download for the month. This is a big problem with the digital movement.

I am all for the digital movement but as it stands right now the status of ISPs are to mixed up to get a good start on it.

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eortizr View Post
    man..the news in this site are getting late... that was post yesterday morning in mc rumors... anyways,, I have 3 computers with bluray players/burner, and to be honest in 2 years I have never burn a bluray disc or watched a movie in them... I also have a bluray player in the living room and I just have one physical bluray movie ... but I have a 2TB external HDD plugged to my WDTV live... with all my 1080p movies, the disk is 80% full all downloads from the web. So in this one I will agree with Jobs, you can get it from the web, and you'll be amazed with the quality almost identical to the actual bluray, much better than any Streaming services or DirectTV(at least the sites I use), luckily my ISP does not have a cap in my account...
    You have obviously overpurchased and underutilized your tech goods.

Quote Originally Posted by teddyf1 View Post
    I can't help thinking that since when does a computer, supposedly a productivity device, absolutely need to adapt a standard that has absolutely NOTHING to do with productivity or computing? Unless software manufacturers plan on adopting Blu-Ray as an installation media format, why would we care?! I thought if I wanted to watch a Blu-Ray movie I would go to my Blu-Ray player and watch it on my HD tv...am I wrong? Thank you Steve for keeping the focus where it NEEDS TO BE.

Oh I know...some hackers out there who need to pirate Blu-Ray movies would like the hardware built in to Macs so that it could be easier to convert from one media format to another. How dare you Steve from prohibiting them from doing that!!! LOL...I love the issues that are made issues that are NOT REALLY issues in this country these days. While we have a major crisis in the Gulf, global warming, and miriads of other health and quality of life issues in the world. Ohhh the inhumanity!
    Yes, lets base everything on flawed necessesity.

Also, that major crisis in the gulf is anything but a crisis. It looks to me like a great opportunity to create jobs (cleanup and repair) to help fight the high unemployment.

Quote Originally Posted by jdm.accord View Post
    lol wtf? Are you even remotely aware of how news stories work? You think just because CNN breaks a story, that ABC, NBC, CBS etc. aren't all gonna report on it too?

So CNN broke the story of the Deepwater Horizon explosion and subsequent oil spoil, in your mind that means no other news agency is ever allowed to report on it? You're an idiot. :
    Hmmm, has Apple tried to patent news stories yet? Someone alert Steve!

Quote Originally Posted by jbardi View Post
    Like it or not, Jobs is absolutely correct in his assessment of blu-ray. At the time of the HD DVD vs Blu-Ray battle, optical media was already obsolete on the global scale. The problem is, a lot of you posting here are young and from the United States.

Worldwide, Internet speeds are faster than most of you here in the U.S. understand. You can not compare streaming quality of HD content based upon what U.S. ISP's want you to believe is high speed Internet.

The fact is, outside of solid storage of offsite data, Blu-ray is just too little too late. Do we all remember the Laserdisc fiasco? Some of you are also too young for that as well. Laserdisc was suppose to be the answer to your movie watching enjoyment... overpriced Laserdisc players that the average consumer could not afford (sound familiar?) to play oversized media discs lined up like reflective, silver vinyl... it was the replacement for the VHS and the predecessor to the DVD, but sadly, it couldn't do its job... was the quality better? Yes! Was it touted as the must have device by everyone? Yes! It lasted but 20 years, which to many of you young-ins, that seems like an eternity, but that will never play-out today. That was between 1978 and 2000, and as the Internet didn't really catch on until 1998, there was a communication black-hole going on.

In todays market, Blu-ray will be lucky to last 5-8 more years with die hards hanging on for dear life to convince themselves that the money they put into this technology was worth it... but sadly, it was dying on the vine before it was harvested!

Speeds of the Internet in other parts of the world at the time of the Blu-ray release was the death call for Blu-ray before it had a chance to spread its wings. With things like Netflix, AppleTV/Mac Mini, open source Plex/XBMC software, MobiTV, the soon to be released Hulu Plus and Google TV as well as the many other devices in the line up waiting to come to market like Disney's on demand Keychest device, there is just too much streaming competition and the blazing fast Internet to back it up that optical media is simply dead, it and a lot of you just don't know it yet.

The rest of the world realizes this, so its time the United States public, Gamers and ISP's got out of their day dream world and back to reality... its time to move on.
    That sounds logical and all, until you look at the actual numbers. Take into consideration that the U.S. has over 30% of the unique IPs in the world, our pension for spending, and the fact that we're almost triple the population of the highest pop country that outranks us (we're only around the high teens in ranking), and you can see that this is yet another area where most tend to cater to the US b/c of our overwhelming marketshare on the global level.

5-8 years is more than enough time to justify supporting blue ray.

Let's start getting FTTH going nationwide and then we can look at downloading and streaming 1080p.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

All printable media is going the way of the dodo. This includes Blu-Ray. Everything will go digital and as Flash drives get smaller in size with larger capacity there will be no need for optical drives at all. That's just for storing media offline.

Streaming will get better as compression techniques get better too. There just needs to be a more unified format. The industry needs to let go of DRM because it doesn't ever work and there's always a way around it anyway. Sites like Hulu, Netflix, and Youtube are the future.

Paying obscene amounts of money for hardware thats obsolete in 6 months is ridiculous, especially when it comes to Blu-Ray players, 60"+ HD plasma/LCD/LED displays.

Don't even get me started on how stupid people look wearing 3D glasses in their living room. Welcome back to 1985?

Thanks

They can put whatever they want into their machines. They'll sell. If it takes more engineering effort, why bother?

The only reason Apple releases a new phone and a new iOS every year is because they have to have SOMETHING. What happens when every customer in the world has your product? What do you sell? "A new version of it!" The only reason we finally got multitasking is...what else was there to add? Think about next year--the "big" thing will probably be a revamped notifications system.

This is the same thing with Blu-Ray. Until Apple runs out of new features and hardware to put in their machines (don't say blah-blah-blah-upgraded-specs, don't forget about multitouch trackpad, magic mouse, SD card slots...), we won't see Blu-Ray.

And, just the same, I think someday (far, FAR away) we will see Flash on the iPhone. But only after every other feature has been added, and they need SOME gimmick to sell next year's phone.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yes good idea idiot. I have a 2mb connection and to get anything faster I would need to move property.

My allowance is 40gb per month...um no thanks blu ray it is for me.

Steve Jobs is a twonk...end of.

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NoPrEsErVaTiVeS View Post
    All printable media is going the way of the dodo. This includes Blu-Ray. Everything will go digital and as Flash drives get smaller in size with larger capacity there will be no need for optical drives at all. That's just for storing media offline.

Streaming will get better as compression techniques get better too. There just needs to be a more unified format. The industry needs to let go of DRM because it doesn't ever work and there's always a way around it anyway. Sites like Hulu, Netflix, and Youtube are the future.

Paying obscene amounts of money for hardware thats obsolete in 6 months is ridiculous, especially when it comes to Blu-Ray players, 60"+ HD plasma/LCD/LED displays.

Don't even get me started on how stupid people look wearing 3D glasses in their living room. Welcome back to 1985?
    And the internet age was supposed to eliminate the need for paper in the business world. Just the opposite.

Thanks

I agree that Blue Ray is a fad, it's a format that was pushed onto alot of people via playstation 3. It's not to compare video format with the audio format. Yes digital music basically ran the CD out of town, but video had a quality issue that audio didn't have to really worry about.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

People are idiots. No matter how successful streaming media becomes, even if it ultimately replaced DVD, we STILL need a STANDARD physical format for recording, transport, and playback of HD media. DUH. It doesn't have to replace DVD to have a reason to exist. CDs still exist, do they not? The way people are talking in this thread, they don't. *roll eyes*
    Last edited by CZroe; 07-02-2010 at 10:19 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bluprint's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
    People are idiots. No matter how successful streaming media becomes, even if it ultimately replaced DVD, we STILL need a STANDARD physical format for recording, transport, and playback of HD media. DUH. It doesn't have to replace DVD to have a reason to exist. CDs still exist, do they not? The way people are talking in this thread, they don't. *roll eyes*
    Same people are probably saying who needs to pay for cable when you have youtube.