Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Don't Hold Your Breath For Blu-Ray on Macs: Jobs

Steve Jobs is the next dumbass in this universe.

Quote Originally Posted by billchase2 View Post
    Another "news" post from a different message board... interesting.
    lol wtf? Are you even remotely aware of how news stories work? You think just because CNN breaks a story, that ABC, NBC, CBS etc. aren't all gonna report on it too?

So CNN broke the story of the Deepwater Horizon explosion and subsequent oil spoil, in your mind that means no other news agency is ever allowed to report on it? You're an idiot.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

btw 720P is no way good enough for 3D movies, you need clear high resolution picture for 3D movies. I don't want to see blocks or pauses in a 3D movie.

BTW for those of you don't see it, Your king (Jobs) have no clothes. Someone who cares should tell him that so he can stop embarassing himself.
    Last edited by unison999; 07-01-2010 at 11:57 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to unison999 For This Useful Post:

cpkirkley (07-01-2010)

Thanks
    I agree with what Steve says, personally I have not had use for a Blu-Ray player. 1080P is downloadable and available. Works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by billchase2 View Post
    You've got to be kidding... Blu-ray was dying before it even "won" the format war with HD-DVD. Digital files and streaming are the way to go now.
    You are dreaming. In terms of HD media sales, Bluray surpasses digital downloads and streaming.
    Really?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by me_danish View Post
    I agree with what Steve says, personally I have not had use for a Blu-Ray player. 1080P is downloadable and available. Works for me.
    How long did it take to download that 2 hour movie? A day? You know what the country average download speed? Not to mention the limit isp is now putting on people? You may not have the need because you have small TV, but others like me with 50+" TV can not take that bad picture quality.
    Last edited by unison999; 07-01-2010 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by adp View Post
    It's for portability purposes. You can't carry a 60 inch TV with you right? If I'm on a trip, vacation or somewhere remote, I would love to have a Blu-Ray player on my laptop. I have an 18-inch HP monster with Blu-Ray and it has a HDMI out. I can use my laptop as a blu-ray player and save the $150 buying a separate one (unfortunately my PS3 also adopted to this "dying" technology...). You have to think outside the Apple box. Just because you don't find any use of it doesn't mean the rest of the world agrees with you. You are just reading what Steve-o says and believing his hype. The same thing happened with flash. He doesn't like it, so all the little fanboys follow him and agree. The 2 reasons why he doesn't want Blu-Ray is because:

A) It will reduce his iTunes sales
    B) He doesn't profit as much by adding a more expensive component to an already overpriced computer.

And who says Blu-Rays won't be eventually adopted into data storage? I mean most games require 2-3 DVD's for installation. It won't be long before they adopt Blu-Ray and use just one. Same thing happened with CD-R's - they used to be the standard for gaming installations and now it seems all games come in DVD format.
    Excellent points

Yeah, unfortunately I find myself in agreement with nob-licker Jobs.

[I]But[I]........I think both ways are the way to go. For the cinema experience go with the BR, for chillin bed before sleeping go with the streaming.

Just 2 personal examples, but these are different ways to consume more or less the same product. People have different needs at different times and both can fulfill those needs for the time being and near future

The death of BR will be the price, also average user is happy with average quality. E.g. First ipods weren't all that in quality (sound & build) compared to others on the market(iriver h-series, creatives, cowon), but they sold and the others did a dinosaur.

No one with a television larger than 40 inches, who actually gives a damn about image quality, will go with streaming video over the actual disc. There is NO comparison between the best quality bluray rips and the actual discs themselves, there is a reason they are rips (quality is always lost in the decode/re-encoding process). While I applaud its convenience, some things are just better off stored/played physically. Much in the same way that NAS will always have a place alongside cloud computing.

I would much rather pay the premium for a disc to own (forever) then to pay a somewhat lesser premium that is inferior in quality and is only available if I have an internet connection.

I bet you Jobs has a high end blu-ray entertainment system at home, right next to his apple tv.
    EVGA P55LE Mobo/Core [email protected]/Corsair H50
    8GB Corsair Donimator DDR3 1600/Radeon 5870
    2x 150 Raptors in Raid 0/2 TB Caviar for storage
    Denon AVR 590 Reciever
    46" Sony KDL-XBR9

Watching netflix shows and movies on my xbox is great, but 60% of the time my ISP throttles the connection and it turns into a 46" YouTube video. Now that ISPs are limiting download speeds and capacity it's not as great as it once was. It's great on my phone to watch streaming things, but not ona hi def tv, and I have a 10 Meg connection. Waiting 4 hours to download a ****** iTunes format video that isn't actual hi def takes longer than driving to the store to buy a movie and watch the whole thing twice while I'm still waiting for it to download. Doesn't help that I can't seek at all without it hanging or dropping quality either. It's great for mobility and smaller screens, but blu-Ray is better for real quality and the players are dirt cheap.

I think Steve Jobs is a smart guy, but I really hate his everything-we-don't-do-because-they-are-stupid attitude.
    Sometimes, I think he can earn a lot of respects by admitting the flaw/inability of himself/the company.

Ever since Steve Jobs realized how much revenue he could make off of other peoples hard work his hardware has reflected it. First iTunes with songs he didn't record, then movies he didn't write, produce or star in, then the app store with software he didn't write. Why would he put a blue ray player in a device if you don't have to buy the disk from him. Sure it would be nice to just pop the blue ray disk I own in my Mac on a plane. But I guess that's just crazy talk.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I wonder if this is a jab toward Sony (blueray tech peps), after all they are part of Sony/Ericsson. Maybe they have a new phone about to come out with higher resolution that runs on Android...

blu ray isnt going anywhere any time soon and digital downloading wont become mainstream anytime soon. Not everyone lives in huge cities where their ISP have killer download speeds all I have is 1.5mbps and it usually only gets to 800kbps most of the time. so me downloading movies would take forever. Also the quality of downloads when compared to blu ray is no where near as close so I will take my ever upgrading ps3 blu ray player any day and my blu ray drive in my computer to downloading movies where the quality is just ok

And yet again apple is ignoring what it's customers want and decides to give what they want to. More inferior hardware, lack of wanted options and more media with drm. Just one more reason for me ditching my iPhone and getting a droidx in a couple weeks. **** apple.

Blu-Ray on disk is dead for me,you can download the same thing on the net and stream on your pc or big screen no need to have all them disks around your house hahahahahaha.

Yeah blu-ray is dying, the DVD isn't even dead yet. Your beta max reference would be more like hddvd.
    I understand that a lot of people don't think using theire laptop is equivalent to a 40" television set but alot of people own blu-ray movies and want to watch them while they are traveling. If I had to put money on it, I would say apple adopts a blu-ray player in a year.

Like it or not, Jobs is absolutely correct in his assessment of blu-ray. At the time of the HD DVD vs Blu-Ray battle, optical media was already obsolete on the global scale. The problem is, a lot of you posting here are young and from the United States.

Worldwide, Internet speeds are faster than most of you here in the U.S. understand. You can not compare streaming quality of HD content based upon what U.S. ISP's want you to believe is high speed Internet.

The fact is, outside of solid storage of offsite data, Blu-ray is just too little too late. Do we all remember the Laserdisc fiasco? Some of you are also too young for that as well. Laserdisc was suppose to be the answer to your movie watching enjoyment... overpriced Laserdisc players that the average consumer could not afford (sound familiar?) to play oversized media discs lined up like reflective, silver vinyl... it was the replacement for the VHS and the predecessor to the DVD, but sadly, it couldn't do its job... was the quality better? Yes! Was it touted as the must have device by everyone? Yes! It lasted but 20 years, which to many of you young-ins, that seems like an eternity, but that will never play-out today. That was between 1978 and 2000, and as the Internet didn't really catch on until 1998, there was a communication black-hole going on.

In todays market, Blu-ray will be lucky to last 5-8 more years with die hards hanging on for dear life to convince themselves that the money they put into this technology was worth it... but sadly, it was dying on the vine before it was harvested!

Speeds of the Internet in other parts of the world at the time of the Blu-ray release was the death call for Blu-ray before it had a chance to spread its wings. With things like Netflix, AppleTV/Mac Mini, open source Plex/XBMC software, MobiTV, the soon to be released Hulu Plus and Google TV as well as the many other devices in the line up waiting to come to market like Disney's on demand Keychest device, there is just too much streaming competition and the blazing fast Internet to back it up that optical media is simply dead, it and a lot of you just don't know it yet.

The rest of the world realizes this, so its time the United States public, Gamers and ISP's got out of their day dream world and back to reality... its time to move on.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to jbardi For This Useful Post:

zozodouce (07-01-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by jbardi View Post
    Like it or not, Jobs is absolutely correct in his assessment of blu-ray. At the time of the HD DVD vs Blu-Ray battle, optical media was already obsolete on the global scale. The problem is, a lot of you posting here are young and from the United States.

Worldwide, Internet speeds are faster than most of you here in the U.S. understand. You can not compare streaming quality of HD content based upon what U.S. ISP's want you to believe is high speed Internet.

The fact is, outside of solid storage of offsite data, Blu-ray is just too little too late. Do we all remember the Laserdisc fiasco? Some of you are also too young for that as well. Laserdisc was suppose to be the answer to your movie watching enjoyment... overpriced Laserdisc players that the average consumer could not afford (sound familiar?) to play oversized media discs lined up like reflective, silver vinyl... it was the replacement for the VHS and the predecessor to the DVD, but sadly, it couldn't do its job... was the quality better? Yes! Was it touted as the must have device by everyone? Yes! It lasted but 20 years, which to many of you young-ins, that seems like an eternity, but that will never play-out today. That was between 1978 and 2000, and as the Internet didn't really catch on until 1998, there was a communication black-hole going on.

In todays market, Blu-ray will be lucky to last 5-8 more years with die hards hanging on for dear life to convince themselves that the money they put into this technology was worth it... but sadly, it was dying on the vine before it was harvested!

Speeds of the Internet in other parts of the world at the time of the Blu-ray release was the death call for Blu-ray before it had a chance to spread its wings. With things like Netflix, AppleTV/Mac Mini, open source Plex/XBMC software, MobiTV, the soon to be released Hulu Plus and Google TV as well as the many other devices in the line up waiting to come to market like Disney's on demand Keychest device, there is just too much streaming competition and the blazing fast Internet to back it up that optical media is simply dead, it and a lot of you just don't know it yet.

The rest of the world realizes this, so its time the United States public, Gamers and ISP's got out of their day dream world and back to reality... its time to move on.
    dude you realy know what you are talking about most of these kids in here dont understand that this disk thing is dead for a lot of people like you and me,that knows where to get our movies without having all them disks all over the house hahahahaha.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bluprint's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zozodouce View Post
    dude you realy know what you are talking about most of these kids in here dont understand that this disk thing is dead for a lot of people like you and me,that knows where to get our movies without having all them disks all over the house hahahahaha.
    Nothing at the moment or in the foreseeable future is going to be replacing this disk thing. It might be dead to you perhaps because you have no technology to support it. Your probably that mac freak that lives in a basement. Have you ever played a bluray game versus a game in the internet, have you ever seen anything remotely to close the quality that bluray provides? i didn't think not. not only are disk great for me and you but it also allows us to share and back up our media without the need of any special programs or plug ins. Think outside the box for a change, damn.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast