+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: MobileMe Gets an Upgrade : Still No Free Services

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,576 Times in 277 Posts

Default MobileMe Gets an Upgrade : Still No Free Services

We had expected to see some new features and possibly even a new "Lite" version of bringing the possibilty of some free MobileMe services to users, but unfortunately the update is mostly cosmetic. While it looks pretty, it's not quite what we were hoping for.

I almost feel as though I somehow got ProSwitcher added to my MobileMe account, with the new "App Like Switcher", somewhat like the image above. Kind of ironic, but I'll take it. Still wish there would have been some new free features for users who have no need to pay $100/year.

Here are some of the new features.

Widescreen and compact views.
    - Rules to keep your email organized everywhere.
    - Single-click archiving.
    - Formatting toolbar.
    - Faster performance.
    - Increased security with SSL.
    - Support for external email addresses (new since the beta)
    - Improved junk mail filtering (new since the beta).
    Not like we ever use it, but, Apple has also released an official app for "Find My Phone" one of the features offered to MobileMe users.

If you lose your iPhone or iPad while on the go, simply install this free app on any other iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to find it. Sign in with your member name and password (MobileMe subscription required) to locate your missing device on a map and have it display a message or play a sound. You can even remotely lock the device to protect your privacy, or wipe it to permanently delete all of your data if you think that it won’t be returned.
    Source: Apple

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Nick Hesson For This Useful Post:

Freerunnering (06-18-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

I happen to like mobile me. It could use some upgrades but other than that it works great. In fact I favor it more than my exchange account. I can share larger files easier with non users of exchange and MobileMe fairly easy which is an great feature for some business folks that have customers that have not had the means or will to jump on the techno train ;-). Also not sure who in the world is paying "$100/Month" But it sure aint me. Perhaps this was a type-O... lol

Best

Dennis Kuhn

Thanks
    Thanked 1,576 Times in 277 Posts

The selling package is generally $99. However, you can usually grab renewal codes off ebay for a fraction of the cost. I paid $35 for my latest renewal. I love the MobileMe services, although I feel they shouldnt all be paid for services.

Green Apple
    Dearborn Heights, Michigan, United States
    Thanks
    Looks like I will still be staying away from MobileMe, until they drop the price or release a free version. LoL I'm not paying $99 dollars a year...

Quote Originally Posted by nickhesson View Post
    The selling package is generally $99. However, you can usually grab renewal codes off ebay for a fraction of the cost. I paid $35 for my latest renewal. I love the MobileMe services, although I feel they shouldnt all be paid for services.
    Now that sounds more reasonable, I have to look into that...
    Last edited by TranceField; 06-18-2010 at 07:14 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Damn it

iPhone? More like MyPhone MacDevil7334's Avatar
    Thanks

Nice update. I hardly ever use the MobileMe website, but the Find my iPhone app is nice. In my opinion, that feature alone and the security it offers is worth the $99 subscription price.

Somewhat unrelated to the content of the article, but I really like that new icon for the photo gallery. Wish Apple would use it for the photos app in iOS 4 instead of the stupid sunflower icon.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nickhesson View Post
    $67 on amazon if you don't want to go the ebay route...

Thanks

so the new update is: Widescreen and compact views.

lol. all of this is just silly in the first place

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

find my iphone is useless if your phone gets stolen because anyone with a brain in their head will turn the damn thing off immediately. this happened to my fiance. she ran next door to the atm and must have dropped her phone at some point en route. by the time she got back and realized it was gone, find my iphone couldn't find her iphone because whoever saw her drop it grabbed it and turned it off.

useless.

Thanks

Well,I had MobileMe and the AT&T family find feature and the wife lost the phone at Philly airport.An employee mustve taken it because after being 8 hours at the airport,using gps tracking,MobileMe,findme,AND navizon,the phone couldn't be found.Had to wipe out data and call it a day.It was just frustrating to KNOW where your phone was and not being able to do anything about it

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Someone answer my question please.

Let's say I sign up for the 60 day trial to create an account and then cancel when it expires. If I lose my iPhone can I subscribe again, pay for the service to find my iphone and then cancel again? I'm asking because I don't want to waste 100$ a year if I don't lose my iPhone. Kind of a pay as you go service
    Last edited by M4tt Dam0n; 06-18-2010 at 09:01 AM.
    I'm MYAATT DAAAMOOON!!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to M4tt Dam0n For This Useful Post:

DarkDragonAn (06-18-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone DarkDragonAn's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by M4tt Dam0n View Post
    Someone answer my question please.

Let's say I sign up for the 60 day trial to create an account and then cancel when it expires. If I lose my iPhone can I subscribe again, pay for the service to find my iphone and then cancel again? I'm asking because I don't want to waste 100$ a year if I don't lose my iPhone. Kind of a pay as you go service
    yes you can, but after you cancel your phone will not be link to find my phone on your mobile me any more. U would need to make sure they still link with eachother.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

I use MobileMe everyday to keep my appointments synced

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kuhndsn View Post
    I happen to like mobile me. It could use some upgrades but other than that it works great. In fact I favor it more than my exchange account. I can share larger files easier with non users of exchange and MobileMe fairly easy which is an great feature for some business folks that have customers that have not had the means or will to jump on the techno train ;-). Also not sure who in the world is paying "$100/Month" But it sure aint me. Perhaps this was a type-O... lol

Best

Dennis Kuhn
    You misquoted. Its 100/year in the original post.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dboone21 View Post
    $67 on amazon if you don't want to go the ebay route...
    If you do go the ebay route, make sure that you are getting a physical box or an activation key. Stay away from the sellers who tell you that you need to create a new user name or that ask for your user name and password and they will set up the account for you.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DarkDragonAn View Post
    yes you can, but after you cancel your phone will not be link to find my phone on your mobile me any more. U would need to make sure they still link with eachother.
    Alright thanks. So when I link to my phone there's nothing to do on the iPhone it's just an option on the mobileme settings on the computer right? Cuz if not, I mean the phone is gone lol.
    I'm MYAATT DAAAMOOON!!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

ebay is the way to go