Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Quietly Releases Unibody Mac mini w/HDMI

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Quietly Releases Unibody Mac mini w/HDMI

Amid the hubbub of the iPhone 4 preorder and the news - first tipped by Kyle - that you can get one in any color so long as it's black, Apple slipped another change onto its online store. Computid, a MMi reader (and Craywiki maintainer) in the UK noticed early this morning what Apple failed to publicize: the Mac mini has gotten a speed bump, a sleek new aluminum unibody enclosure and an HDMI port.

You can get the mini with a 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo (instead of the 2.26 GHz P7550 on the previous model) or a 2.66GHz Core 2 Duo which was previously available only as a build-to-order option. Both the CPUs have a 3MB shared L2 cache and a 1066Mhz frontside bus. The new model also has the NVIDIA GeForce 320M integrated graphics processor from the new MacBook, using 256MB of system memory, The standard model comes with 2GB of 1066MHz DD3 SDRAM, upgradeable to 8GB, and a 320GB or 500GB SATA hard drive and a slot-loading SuperDrive optical disc. The new Mac mini comes with an HDMI-to-DVI adapter in the box for legacy displays, and also has a mini DisplayPort connector supporting up to 2560x1600 video out.

The server version of the mini is the same as the previous model with the exception that it now comes by default with the 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo. Otherwise, it's what we come to expect: the optical disc bay used for for a second hard drive, callowing dual 500GB 7200rpm SATA drives, 4GB of RAM, pre-loaded with Mac OS X Snow Leopard Server.

The new Mac mini starts at $699 US and the server at $999.
    Last edited by Paul Daniel Ash; 06-15-2010 at 08:09 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

computid (06-15-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

It does look amazing. Time to upgrade my old mini

Nice I was using adapters to get my mini on my 36" this should be great

Just took a look that is on gorgeous peice of aluminum

One*
    Last edited by The Maestro; 06-15-2010 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Another excellent update. Looks like this will be the version my parents will be purchasing! Quite happy I've convinced them to make the switch. :-)
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

Thanks

I think I'm going to jump on the server edition.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,094 Times in 1,147 Posts

No I have to choose.
    new mac mini or iPad
    can somebody help me???
    If you'd like, follow me on Twitter: @16Maarten
    Master Theme Creator

I do love the way that new mini looks....great little piece of hardware for the money

looks sexy.

Twitter: @tshoults

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Wish they had a cheaper version with the HDMI. Would love one as a media center but not so much for $700.

Quote Originally Posted by Maarten16 View Post
    No I have to choose.
    new mac mini or iPad
    can somebody help me???
    Will the Mac Mini be a primary computer? I am not a fan of the ipad, but if the mini wo't be your main computer I say get the ipad if you are set on one or the other.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 06-15-2010 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sziklassy For This Useful Post:

Maarten16 (06-15-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,094 Times in 1,147 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Wish they had a cheaper version with the HDMI. Would love one as a media center but not so much for $700.

Will the Mac Mini be a primary computer? I am not a fan of the ipad, but if the mini wo't be your main computer I say get the ipad if you are set on one or the other.
    well.. I want to get rid of this huge case next to me, so main computer it is.
    Now using hackintosh, and I think it's about time to have a real mac
    If you'd like, follow me on Twitter: @16Maarten
    Master Theme Creator

damn man i really want one, but its so damn expensive, 700 bucks to be spent on a media center/secondary computer right now isnt ideal, especially with the iphone 4 coming out.

The mini is always perpetually behind (the new one is still a Core 2 Duo) and the price has been creeping up since its launch. It's one of Apple's more disappointing products.

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

This overpriced POS has a HDMI but the new more expensive and better MacBook Pro's didn't, FAIL!

^I'd rather get a iMac over the Mac Mini and iPad as over here in UK it's only 300 more and you get better hardware, a screen and keyboard and mouse.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Selling my mini today for this bad boy.

Thanks

This + Plex = ultimate HTPC.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to atomjack For This Useful Post:

Maarten16 (06-15-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I like this refresh of the Mini a lot; HDMI, sleeker, and more. This will probably replace the Mini stolen from my apartment.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

This is way sexier than the old mini. Very nice refresh! I do understand why they didn't go to the latest Intel chipset designs. I'm sure it was due to heat/power consumption issues in such a compact enclosure. I guess this is where Apple is starting to show the difference with design and functionality trade-off. Where as other manufacturers are producing the fastest hardware with the greatest power consumption, Apple is trading off speed for power/heat reductions. Not a bad trade-off if you ask me. Besides, this will only appeal to people who are not heavy gamers anyway.

I think Apple may hit another market sweet spot with this one.

I saw it this morning when Apple came back online. I think they look very sexy. I think I may get one to replace the Appletv in the main room.

Thanks

It's very sexy!

Now, I want one! Could have used a newer processor though.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Quote Originally Posted by atomjack View Post
    This + Plex = ultimate HTPC.
    Truth.

This is way sexier than the old mini. Very nice refresh! I do understand why they didn't go to the latest Intel chipset designs. I'm sure it was due to heat/power consumption issues in such a compact enclosure. I guess this is where Apple is starting to show the difference with design and functionality trade-off. Where as other manufacturers are producing the fastest hardware with the greatest power consumption, Apple is trading off speed for power/heat reductions. Not a bad trade-off if you ask me. Besides, this will only appeal to people who are not heavy gamers anyway.

I think Apple may hit another market sweet spot with this one.

700 for a Core 2 Duo and 320M... I am really irked that every new product release is STILL built on old tech. There are PLENTY of more effecient power/performance options than the setup that apple is using, so I would disagree with your assessment of their design choice on this one. If they were really looking for low power consumption, why not offer the mac mini on the ION platform and price it at 400? Or, for power AND low wattage consumption, they could have used the SU7400 or the new ULV Core i5/7's.

Then again old tech didnt stop me from buying my latest phone...

* Looks at his shiny new Xperia x10 running cupcake*
    /facepalm
    Last edited by cpkirkley; 06-15-2010 at 11:31 PM.
    EVGA P55LE Mobo/Core [email protected]/Corsair H50
    8GB Corsair Donimator DDR3 1600/Radeon 5870
    2x 150 Raptors in Raid 0/2 TB Caviar for storage
    Denon AVR 590 Reciever
    46" Sony KDL-XBR9

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast