Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Two OSes, Two WWDCs?

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Two OSes, Two WWDCs?

After a Worldwide Developers Conference where Mac OS X was most notable by its absence, the French site HardMac has come forth with a claim that Apple is considering two separate developer confabs: one for iOS and one for Mac OS X. Citing "one of our most reliable sources," HardMac - which previously had accurate leaks about Mac Pro and MacBook CPU upgrades - is short on details but notes that the move "would be a strong sign of support from Apple towards Mac users," at a time when even Steve Jobs is talking about "the post-PC era."

When the schedule for the last WWDC was announced, may observers commented on the dearth of Mac OS X-focused sessions and labs. John Gruber wrote at the time in Daring Fireball that "one could argue that this year’s WWDC is an iPhone OS developers conference, not an Apple developers conference." For the first time in years, there was no preview of an upcoming Mac OS X release, not even a maintenance upgrade. Though iOS device growth is explosive, the Mac continues to build market share, with the MacBook continuing to be one of the best selling laptops on the market.

At the D8 conference hosted by the Wall Street Journal this year, Steve Jobs claimed that the tablet would replace the PC for most users. And this was kind of surprising, coming as it did from a guy who once famously asked what tablet PCs were good for other than surfing the Web in the bathroom. Apple's "magical, revolutionary" device is a best-seller now, of course, and Jobs is talking about "the transformation of the PC," with general-purpose computers being used less and less: "PCs are going to be like trucks," as he said. ""Less people will need them," he added, "and this is going to make some people uneasy."

Mac devs would certainly feel a lot less uneasy if they had less of a sense that Apple was walking away from the operating system, which still has as many as 100 million users worldwide. Jobs may be right about future trends, but just as trucks are still popular, there will always be a market for "real" computers.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

Freerunnering (06-14-2010)

So would they hold it on the same day, same location, etc?

I'd be down with two WWDCs

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

first

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't get the feeling they are walking away from the platform, I just feel like there are simply fewer people that get excited about an OS patch. I don't know the last time we were given something in OSX that I simply couldn't wait to have. That said, iOS might be getting close. Aside from the ability to add themes, I am not sure there is much I am waiting for Apple to add into the OS that can realistically be expected to be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by ncnyxx13 View Post
    first
    Not at all.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 06-13-2010 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

first
    too slow

first
    You sir are a douche bag.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dub Bleezy For This Useful Post:

Amraam (06-14-2010), tattedbass82 (06-15-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone imagineThiss's Avatar
    Thanks

i cant believe we are talking about the computer become obsolete (especially on mac's side) hearing jobs talk like this is kind of saddening !

on another note i hope this second wwdc exists !

That would be a good move. Keep the Mac OS and iOS separate. For those of you worrying, no way Mac OS is going away.

1. Still need a MAC to code for iOS.
    2. iTunes is a desktop software.
    3. Still need to sync to that desktop software (iTunes) for firmware updates and content management.
    4. Productivity is much easier and full featured on desktop/laptop devices. I would go bonkers having to do actual work on an iPad/iPhone for hours at a time.
    5. Apple makes more per unit on their laptops/desktops than they do on their iPods/iPhones/iPads, they just have more users for the latter. The mobile devices are a great way to usher in new Mac users and can be their way to finally start hitting the PC market in share of total users.

So the desktop/laptop end is far far from becoming a reality anytime in the near future. Trust me.
    "To unpathed waters, undreamed shores." -- William Shakespeare

12. The Following User Says Thank You to southfrisco For This Useful Post:

tattedbass82 (06-15-2010)

ya'll need to head over to your Hulu accounts and watch an episode called MacHeads. interesting stuff about whats what and whos who.
    killall Terminal[]

first
    ROFL, such a fail...

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

first
    Lol it took you 4 minutes to write "first"
    I was wondering why there was no mention of a new OS X, as Apple usually announces an OS X every 2 years, 2006, 2008, 2010?

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

fail
    Last edited by ncnyxx13; 06-14-2010 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Next Mac OS should be called Mac OS X Wet Pussy lolllllll
    Ok that sucks... hope they do announce somthing soon though
    iPhone 4 16 GB + iMac 24" 2.9GHz + MBP 13" 2,2GHZ = AAPL 4 EVAAAA!