Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Mac mini HD: "One More Thing" for WWDC?

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Mac mini HD: "One More Thing" for WWDC?

The Worldwide Developers Conference has often been a venue for new product announcements, and it's abundantly clear that this year's event will be all about the next-generation iPhone, which has been talked about for so long and in such detail that one sometimes forgets that it hasn't been announced yet. But Steve Jobs has also used the "oh, and one more thing" trope during his keynotes, which usually give him an opportunity to drop some surprise on the audience. AppleInsider had a report out yesterday that indicated the Mac mini is in short supply, suggesting that a refresh of the small-form-factor desktop might be in the offing.

The Mac mini last got an update in October of last year, which brings it close to the end of its average 249-day product cycle. The last refresh brought faster Intel Core 2 Duo processors as well as a server model without optical drives that opened up both drive bays for dual 500GB hard disks. That processor upgrade followed a similar upgrade of the low-end MacBook, and - given that the Mac mini shares so many components with the MacBook - it makes sense that this refresh may bring the 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo CPU from the latest MacBook refresh to the Mac mini.

Another possible upgrade involves the video out on the Mac mini, which for the last few product cycles has included a DVI port and a Mini DisplayPort. Leaks from Apple's verification test labs back in March indicated the company would replace the legacy DVI connector with an HDMI port. At present, only the "hobby" Apple TV device supports HDMI, and hints have been growing that Apple will be implementing the high-end digital video-out standard on more of its line. Given that one of the uses people put Mac minis to is as a home media server, it'd make sense for the Mac mini to be the first to see an HDMI upgrade.

AppleInsider said that four separate sources reported supply constraints on bulk orders for Mac minis. Individual order backlogs are more common ahead of new school years as Apple redirects stock for big university purchases, but holdups in volume orders usually means apple is clearing stock for a new model. According to one of AppleInsider's sources, "Every time this has happened in years past, it means that the item we ordered would be revised."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

DisneyRicky (06-05-2010)

Now my brand new Mac mini will get outdated, this always happens

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Maestro View Post
    Now my brand new Mac mini will get outdated, this always happens
    It's computers, the minute you buy it they become "out dated"

Looks cool but the new Google TV looks like a better choice

Quote Originally Posted by applekid80 View Post
    Looks cool but the new Google TV looks like a better choice
    +1. I'm holding on buying a new 3d TV until I find out which one of them is going to support GoogleTV and which phones will be able to use the Harmony software.
    EVGA P55LE Mobo/Core [email protected]/Corsair H50
    8GB Corsair Donimator DDR3 1600/Radeon 5870
    2x 150 Raptors in Raid 0/2 TB Caviar for storage
    Denon AVR 590 Reciever
    46" Sony KDL-XBR9

i've always liked the mac mini
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Do iMac's have HDMI?? I'm sure Apple only supported Mini Displayport otherwise they would have put an HDMI port on the MacBook Pro.
    I'd rather get an iPad than the Mac Mini.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

iPhone? More like MyPhone ForumSnoBorderRK's Avatar
    Thanks

thats not a "one more thing" type of thing.
    -[r]
    if you can, please [thank] me if i helped you or you liked what i said! :]

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bluprint's Avatar
    Thanks

Steve - We shall call it HDMI. Once again our experts in apple is revolutionizing our products in HD. *standing ovation*

Once again apple will say they are being innovative.....

MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Thanks

DAM ... I just ran out of HDMI Ports on my TV, Maybe the iPad 2G will have HDMI out !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by santacruzlocal View Post
    DAM ... I just ran out of HDMI Ports on my TV, Maybe the iPad 2G will have HDMI out !!!!
    They make HDMI splitters, and they are relatively inexpensive
    My Devices:

iPod Touch 4g 4.1 - Jailbroken
    iPad 4.2.1 - Jailbroken

I can't wait until this comes out.

Mac mini? Come on, how about our MacBook Pros? Buying 3 cables/adapters to get my screen on a TV (without sound, nonetheless) is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by n00neimp0rtant View Post
    Mac mini? Come on, how about our MacBook Pros? Buying 3 cables/adapters to get my screen on a TV (without sound, nonetheless) is ridiculous.
    Dude you bought a Macbook. Those things are for working in photoshop, making video, editing sound... why would you want to.. oh.
    Anybody want a 32GB Mint Condition Black JB Unlocked 3GS? PM me with offers.