+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Chief Steve Jobs Gets Candid at D8

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Like a warm-up routine for the long-awaited June 7th start of Apple's WWDC, last night Steve Jobs took the stage at D8. And this morning, the blogosphere is buzzing about
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Apple Chief Steve Jobs Gets Candid at D8

Like a warm-up routine for the long-awaited June 7th start of Apple's WWDC, last night Steve Jobs took the stage at D8. And this morning, the blogosphere is buzzing about what Jobs had to say in public conversation with All Things Digital producers Walt Mossberg and Kara Swisher. A veritable chatterbox at times, Jobs opened up on issues ranging from Apple's beef with Adobe to the future of the "post-PC" world.

Regarding the contentious moments in recent months between Apple and Adobe, or - more accurately - HTML5 and Flash, Steve Jobs said that "Apple is a company that doesn't have the most resources of everybody in the world. The way we have succeeded is by choosing which horses to ride very carefully." The best horse for Apple, says Jobs, was not Flash - which, he implied, is OK but not great. "We didn't start off to have a war with Flash. We just made a technical decision." He also took a subtle jab at Adobe once again by stressing that Apple is all about technologies that have a future.

What followed was a brief talk about the Foxconn suicides, of which Jobs called "troubling," but reiterated that the suicide rate in that part of the world is still "under what the U.S. rate is." From dishing on suicide to delving into the platform wars with Microsoft and Google, Steve Jobs had anything but harsh rhetoric to offer about the other industry giants that dominate the modern tech landscape. "We never saw ourselves in a platform war with Microsoft, and maybe that's why we lost." Instead, Jobs said Apple is primarily concerned with "how to build a better product."

With regard to AT&T exclusivity for the iPhone (you had to expect this one to come up), Jobs didn't say much. In fact, it was on this very issue that the Apple chief was most cryptic and evasive in his choice of words. How does Jobs feel about AT&T's often criticized over-stressed network? "Pretty good actually. Remember, they're handling way more data traffic than all of their other competitors combined." With regard to possible "advantages" of expanding carrier coverage, he would only say that there "there might be" some advantages, but that he "can't comment on that."

What ultimately came as no surprise on the D8 stage, however, is that the era of the PC is winding down and that tablet computers like the iPad may very well represent the future. Jobs, though, did advocate patience as it will take a while for the general public to adapt to newer, smaller, but eventually more powerful technologies and mobile computing platforms. "The software will get more powerful," says Jobs. "I think your vision would have to be pretty short to think these can't grow into machines that can do more things, like editing video, graphic arts, productivity. You can imagine all of these content creation on these kind of things."

Image via Getty Images

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

was just looking his interview on D8 site,he made good comments

Green Apple
    Thanks

Steve Jobs has really got to open up to flash in my opinion

Thanks

when will ppl learn that the iPad is not a computer... its just and iphone blown out of proportion
    Rampage
    Back To The Basics

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rampagebegins For This Useful Post:

D to the M (06-02-2010), iphnblues (06-02-2010), reanimationxp (06-02-2010), SirTimothy1 (06-02-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

I agree that everything is getting more compact. Just look at the state of laptops, netbooks, and tablets. They have come very far in the past couple of years and technology will allow for smaller, faster, more versatile products. Desktops are going to be a thing of the past.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rampagebegins View Post
    when will ppl learn that the iPad is not a computer... its just and iphone blown out of proportion
    I'd imagine right around the same time "ppl" realize that the iPad is significantly more than just a big iphone.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ClerkDante For This Useful Post:

billchase2 (06-02-2010), Bryan000 (06-03-2010), CaptainChaos (06-02-2010), ddfilms (06-02-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

lol true

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ClerkDante View Post
    I'd imagine right around the same time "ppl" realize that the iPad is significantly more than just a big iphone.
    Prove it.
    I'm MYAATT DAAAMOOON!!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to M4tt Dam0n For This Useful Post:

iphnblues (06-02-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by M4tt Dam0n View Post
    Prove it.
    Wired APP. Done.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to turdsmoka For This Useful Post:

Gustavo Saliola (06-02-2010), PlatoTheForms (06-02-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life billchase2's Avatar
    Thanks

Interesting stuff. I can definitely see devices, like the iPad, growing into something huge. Computers have been getting smaller and smaller and are taking different forms as we begin to use them differently. It's only a matter of time until the typical "desktop computer" is something of the past.
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

Green Apple
    Thanks
    The iPad is a computer, so is the iPhone. See: [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer]Computer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

iPhone? More like MyPhone CMOSlabs's Avatar
    Thanks

I thought ol Steve did a good job(s) with D8

Still cant figure out why people would refer it to a iPhone?
    A Big iTouch would be closer. A iPad is not a phone (Hello!)
    Well ok, if I jailbreak it and put iCall voip on it and a few other mods, I can force it to make a phone call (voip) through wifi or 3G.

Still though, it does a lot more than a iTouch. And with all the new apps out there that only run on a iPad it does make it unique. Will be keeping a eye out for other companies to come out with their tablets which will have more options.
    Last edited by CMOSlabs; 06-02-2010 at 11:19 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by M4tt Dam0n View Post
    Prove it.
    1GHz

Quote Originally Posted by CMOSlabs View Post
    Still cant figure out why people would refer it to a iPhone?
    A Big iTouch would be closer. A iPad is not a phone (Hello!)
    Well ok, if I jailbreak it and put iCall voip on it and a few other mods, I can force it to make a phone call through wifi or 3G.

Still though, it does a lot more than a iTouch. And with all the new apps out there that only run on a iPad it does make it unique.
    It does connect to cells (3G version) and use data but to be a phone it has to make calls. There are arguments each way.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    The telephone (from the Greek: τῆλε, tēle, "far" and φωνή, phōnē, "voice"), commonly referred to as a phone, is a telecommunications device that transmits and receives sound, most commonly the human voice.
    Last edited by hackint0uch; 06-02-2010 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hackint0uch View Post
    it does connect to cells (3g version) and use data but to be a phone it has to make calls. There are arguments each way.
    VoIP.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Please define Computer!

Thanks

not candid enough. IMHO
    killall Terminal[]

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hackint0uch View Post
    1GHz
    And only 256 of memory....lame.

Also, the HTC Evo has a 1GZ chip...?

Thanks

This moronic measuring devices contest tends to numb me. The article is about Steve Jobs and his vision. Besides, it seems people get used to Apple be ahead 5+ years and critics everything thats less than perfect. Lets face it: You may like or not Jobs himself, or certain moves he makes, so on, so on...But in the end Apple is a company with future in mind, and that is a huge diferential.
    Glad to see this kind of articles, MMI is becoming kind of diary info stop (Among the usual iPhone Bible)

iPhone? More like MyPhone badass1469's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FlexSurferOne View Post
    Please define Computer!
    well for starters a "tablet" is a mobile device, that can only perform minor functions that a computer can, a computer has a cd/dvd/bd drive, unless its a netbook. tablets are very very very slow compared to a computer, a tablet can not be customized to your liking unless u pay the company u bought it from to do it for u and it will cost u a $hlt load. tablets tend to have terrible graphics hence the ipad it could never compare to the graphics of a "computer" maybe in the future wen im like 300 years old, but by then this argument will be closed lol. id like to see someone write a program or photoshop on a ipad(and no not like those junk apps u get on the app store that do terrible jobs at photoshop),oh and if you havent noticed u NEED a computer to make a TABLET work as well as make programs for it. well the list goes on and on for days... but I'm already bored thinking of the ipad.
    Last edited by badass1469; 06-02-2010 at 01:07 PM. Reason: fixes and junk
    damn drug dealers, and there jailbroken iPhones... ____ Hit the thanks if you think i suck

My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ClerkDante View Post
    yea its a lot more then a big phone, does no one remember star trek and there touchscreen pads with loads of data on them that they used daily were gonna get to that point one day and then people will be able to see the longevity of the tablet computer