+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Chief Steve Jobs Gets Candid at D8

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Originally Posted by rampagebegins when will ppl learn that the iPad is not a computer... its just and iphone blown out of proportion Computer= a programmable machine that receives input,
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Antman217's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rampagebegins View Post
    when will ppl learn that the iPad is not a computer... its just and iphone blown out of proportion
    Computer= a programmable machine that receives input, stores and manipulates data, and provides output in a useful format.

iPad= programmable machine that receives input, stores and manipulates data, and provides output in a useful format.

iPad= Computer.

Thanks

Ipad limits the user it's not a standalone device in theory like a MacBook air is a luxury laptop with webcam

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Until the world uses Windows as it's main OS, Flash will not die.
    iPad is not a computer, it require another computer to function. Until it can not update itself over the air and has more ram, it's a big glorified iPod Touch.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by M4tt Dam0n View Post
    Prove it.
    iWork

iPhone? More like MyPhone CMOSlabs's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
    iPad is not a computer, it require another computer to function. Until it can not update itself over the air and has more ram, it's a big glorified iPod Touch.
    Windows is the worlds main OS already.

First I wouldnt refer it to it a a iPod, its a iTouch. It does 1000s of things a iPod cant do

2ed I use my iTouch more as a small Netbook, like my Aspire One. Pretty much can do most things it does. The 50 or so apps I have on it helps too. And of course its Jailbroken.

I do agree though, its going to be a long time before flash dies.

But then again I thought my HP25C was a computer back in 75. I could program up to 49 steps in memory and run the program. RPN rocks !!.

Like all early HP calculators, the 25 used the Reverse Polish Notation (RPN) for entering calculations, working on a four-level stack (x,y,z,t). Nearly all buttons had two alternate functions, accessed by a blue and yellow prefix key. A small sliding switch was used to change between "run" and "program" mode. The HP-25 used a 10-digit red LED display and was the first calculator to introduce the "engineering" display option, a denormalized mantissa/exponent format where the exponent is always a multiple of 3 to match the common SI prefixes, e.g. mega, kilo, milli, micro, nano.

The HP-25 had memory space for up to 49 program steps. It was the first HP calculator which used fully merged keycodes (storing prefix key and function key together in one program location) to save memory space. Additionally there were 8 storage registers and specialized scientific and statistical functions. The owner's manual came with 161 pages in four colors and contained many mathematical, scientific, navigational and financial programming examples.

Last edited by CMOSlabs; 06-02-2010 at 04:07 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

The era of the PC winding down? Why because Apple finally is no longer being stomped by Microsoft? It isn't even Apple's computer products that brought them where they are today. Why does Jobs find every opportunity to take a jab at MS and the PC platform. I never heard Gates make and random snide comments regarding Apple in his interviews, yet Steve seems to make some comment like this every chance he gets.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Im sorry to say but you r kidding urself if u think the ipad is not just a bigger itouch. Sure, better processor, bigger screen, more refined apps. Big deal, still gotta sync the freakin thing with a computer just to get **** on or off it. Still cant browse safari and download files, then transfer to a computer on the network, usb stick, or browse the file system... People claim it does 'heaps more' than the i touch, but nobody mentions a any of them??? If this thing ran the actual mac osx snow leopard instead of refined unconfigurable firmware then it might actually be awesomely handy...

But for now, ill stick wth my pocket sized iphone that does pretty much most things that pad can do...

I honestly think people will buy anything these days just because it has an apple logo on it...

Now that asus eee pad looks promising :-)

EMH
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by badass1469 View Post
    well for starters a "tablet" is a mobile device, that can only perform minor functions that a computer can, a computer has a cd/dvd/bd drive, unless its a netbook. tablets are very very very slow compared to a computer, a tablet can not be customized to your liking unless u pay the company u bought it from to do it for u and it will cost u a load. tablets tend to have terrible graphics hence the ipad it could never compare to the graphics of a "computer" maybe in the future wen im like 300 years old, but by then this argument will be closed lol. id like to see someone write a program or photoshop on a ipad(and no not like those junk apps u get on the app store that do terrible jobs at photoshop),oh and if you havent noticed u NEED a computer to make a TABLET work as well as make programs for it. well the list goes on and on for days... but I'm already bored thinking of the ipad.
    You're not serious, are you? First of all, learn to type. Second of all, summing up every tablet as your misguided view of the iPad is moronic. Third of all, your view of the iPad is incorrect. Yes, for once, an opinion is incorrect. The iPad is not meant to replace your average PC. Tablets are not meant to do any of the things you listed, or at least not right now. We simply don't have the capability to shove the power of a PC into something that small. Most of your arguments don't even make any sense-

"a computer has a CD/DVD/BD drive"
    And what would you need a CD/DVD/BD drive for on a device like the iPad? You buy movies through iTunes. You install programs and games through the App Store. There is no use for a disk drive.

"a tablet cannot be customized to your liking unless u pay the company a $hlt load."
    Software, or hardware? Software can be fixed by jailbreaking. If it's any other tablet (Android, Windows, etc.), it can be customized as well. If your talking about hardware, all I have to say is "duh." Neither can most laptops or just about any netbook.

"tablets are very very slow compared to a computer"
    If you're trying to have a tablet run Crysis, of course it will. But when I compare my iPad and desktop side by side, there's only about a 2 second difference between loading a webpage.

"tablets tend to have terrible graphics"
    Is anyone asking to be able to run high-end computer games on a tablet? Would you like a tablet that's two or three inches thick?

"you NEED a computer to make a TABLET work as well as make programs for it"
    Well of course you do. If you'd like to try developing an app on a tablet, by all means, go for it. I believe that PC's will always stay around in one way or another for reasons like that. Developing programs, high-end gaming, etc.

I think you misunderstand what a tablet is. I'll say it again- a tablet is not meant to replace your PC. It's meant to be a portable device capable of many things a PC can do, and even do some things a hell of a lot better than a PC. I'm not trying to convince you to go out and grab a tablet, I'm just trying to convey what my iPad does for me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post

So much stupidity...

iPads replace PC's? Maybe in the next 5 years...or more. But, I could be wrong on that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Apple Chief Steve Jobs Gets Candid at D8-facepalm.png  
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Green Apple
    Dearborn Heights, Michigan, United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rampagebegins View Post
    when will ppl learn that the iPad is not a computer... its just and iphone blown out of proportion
    I own an iPad and that's exactly what I think, there are so many things iPad can't do.... It's not replacing computers anytime soon...

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by awesomeiPod View Post

So much stupidity...

iPads replace PC's? Maybe in the next 5 years...or more. But, I could be wrong on that.
    Oh Kyon, go back to appeasing your god before she makes us live the summer a billion times again.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Thanks

The Android will set us free !!!!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Tablet computing will not come close to removing a desktop from the equation until the tablet can do EVERYTHING that a PC can do, without the help of a PC to do it.

Any of you who are naive enough to think that you cant tell the difference between the performance of an iPad against that of a recent computer, have not spent any time with the Core i7 processor. Tablets have no less that 10 years before they reach that type of power, and by then, they'll still be 10 years behind.

If you want to impress me, show me Boxee, XBMC/Plex or a full fledged AppleTV client running on an iPad. Until then -

*Closes the door and walks out*
    EVGA P55LE Mobo/Core [email protected]/Corsair H50
    8GB Corsair Donimator DDR3 1600/Radeon 5870
    2x 150 Raptors in Raid 0/2 TB Caviar for storage
    Denon AVR 590 Reciever
    46" Sony KDL-XBR9

14. The Following User Says Thank You to cpkirkley For This Useful Post:

iphnblues (06-02-2010)

EMH
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpkirkley View Post
    Tablet computing will not come close to removing a desktop from the equation until the tablet can do EVERYTHING that a PC can do, without the help of a PC to do it.

Any of you who are naive enough to think that you cant tell the difference between the performance of an iPad against that of a recent computer, have not spent any time with the Core i7 processor. Tablets have no less that 10 years before they reach that type of power, and by then, they'll still be 10 years behind.

If you want to impress me, show me Boxee, XBMC/Plex or a full fledged AppleTV client running on an iPad. Until then -

*Closes the door and walks out*
    But see, tablets aren't trying to replace PC's, or at least not the iPad. That's what people are having trouble understanding. They're a completely different (and new) product category that sits somewhere in between a smartphone and a PC. People expect them to be a PC, but simply put, they're not.
    Oh, and I built a rig with an OC'd i7 920, just so you know.

Thanks

why would i get rid of my computer? its not like its a burden to have a computer sitting on my desk at home. death of the personal computer: never!
    I am not a jailbreak n00b
    I like to drink iPhoneahol...
    Circa 2008

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EMH View Post
    But see, tablets aren't trying to replace PC's, or at least not the iPad. That's what people are having trouble understanding. They're a completely different (and new) product category that sits somewhere in between a smartphone and a PC. People expect them to be a PC, but simply put, they're not.
    Oh, and I built a rig with an OC'd i7 920, just so you know.
    I think you may have misunderstood what I was trying to say. We're in total agreement that Tablets are a section in themselves, completely separate from PC's. My beef is with the statement that Tablet will EVER replace the PC.

In my understanding of the tablet, it should never replace a full fledged computer. Why then, is Mr. Jobs trying to imply that PC's in some way dead/dying?

Good call on the 920 - those things are boss. I'm going to upgrade soon, but my e8400 is still chugging along strong at 3.7 - I figure I'll wait until bonus time and spring for all the parts for the new build at one time.
    EVGA P55LE Mobo/Core [email protected]/Corsair H50
    8GB Corsair Donimator DDR3 1600/Radeon 5870
    2x 150 Raptors in Raid 0/2 TB Caviar for storage
    Denon AVR 590 Reciever
    46" Sony KDL-XBR9

Thanks

I think you may have misunderstood what I was trying to say. We're in total agreement that Tablets are a section in themselves, completely separate from PC's. My beef is with the statement that Tablet will EVER replace the PC.
    You do know how big and limited computers were just 50 short years ago? Big behemoths which used to occupy the whole floor of an office building, had minimal user interface and limited function. Look at the modern desktop or even high-end notebook and just see the difference. So much smaller and able to perform infinitely more.

I doubt it will take another 50 years, but one day tablets will be fully functional computers able to perform just as the contemporary notebook performs in comparison.

In my understanding of the tablet, it should never replace a full fledged computer. Why then, is Mr. Jobs trying to imply that PC's in some way dead/dying?
    Like Mr. Jobs said, that is simply short sighted. Who knew 50 years ago that we would have the computing power we take for granted today? I think Mr. Jobs' was referring to the fact that MOST people today don't need more than what an iPad can do for their leisure computing. Although you personally might have the need for more power in a computer, what about someone who isn't as computer literate as you (the majority of people fit in that category).

Face it the majority of people don't know what photoshop is, and wouldn't have a clue how to use it. Most people can't even tell the difference between Firefox and IE! The iPad might not meet our needs as heavy computer users; but I'm sure it does well enough to surf the web, read emails, play media and use lightweight apps. Most people could probably cut their traditional computer usage down by 50%-75% by using a device which is literally the size of a magazine. That is what Mr. Jobs meant by the decline of the PC era. The iPad class of device can now do what people generally use PC's for.

But I agree with you, we do not fit into this category.

Good call on the 920 - those things are boss. I'm going to upgrade soon, but my e8400 is still chugging along strong at 3.7 - I figure I'll wait until bonus time and spring for all the parts for the new build at one time.
    You might want to take a trip overseas mate. Water restrictions/constipation-like tariffs make those components much more expensive down under...

GO THE BLUES!
    Last edited by mgebara; 06-03-2010 at 12:45 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ClerkDante View Post
    I'd imagine right around the same time "ppl" realize that the iPad is significantly more than just a big iphone.
    then again it only runs iphone os.. when the rumors first surfaced for the "islate" i was excited , i thought it would mac os.. but it didnt and to a lot of ppl it was a dissapointment
    Rampage
    Back To The Basics

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12