+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is Mac OS X Really Safer Than Windows?

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Is Mac OS X Really Safer Than Windows?

Google's decision to ban Windows on its corporate PCs - reported in the Financial Times yesterday and reverberating around the blogosphere ever since - is reopening an old and fractious debate: is Mac OS X actually safer than Windows? Google's decision was reportedly based on security concerns in the wake of the Chinese hack that knocked out the company's servers for a day. Google is refusing comment, saying only that "we do not comment on specific operational matters."

In December of last year, Google came under what they referred to in a blog posting as "a highly sophisticated and targeted attack on our corporate infrastructure originating from China that resulted in the theft of intellectual property." The attack was found to involve nearly a dozen pieces of malware and several levels of encryption that the hackers used to hide inside Google's network. A significant "vector," or means of carrying the malware into the network core, involved a hole in IE6. "Based upon our investigations," Mike Reavey, Microsoft's director of security response wrote in a Security Advisory after the attack, "we have determined that Internet Explorer was one of the vectors used in targeted and sophisticated attacks against Google."

Though Google is keeping mum, many observers are concluding that the company has concluded that Windows is too insecure, and is requiring CIO (corporate information officer)-level approval before letting anyone keep their Windows box. New users get a choice between Mac OS X or Linux, with most opting for a Mac. According to the FT story, one employee is quoted as saying "Linux is open source and we feel good about it," adding: "Microsoft we donít feel so good about."

The rain-on-your-wedding-day irony of Google users flocking to its arch-nemesis Apple's OS is lost on few pundits and Apple fanbois. But is the OS more secure by its very nature? Many security experts disagree. Charlie Miller, back-to-back-to-back winner of the Pwn2Own competition, is one of them, and he speaks from experience. "Hacking into Macs is so much easier," he told ZDNet's Ryan Naraine. "You donít have to jump through hoops and deal with all the anti-exploit mitigations youíd find in Windows." And for ten-thousand-spoons-when-all-you-need-is-a-knife, it's hard to beat Intego releasing a new Mac security warning on the same day the Google news broke.

Jonny Evans, writing for Computerworld, strikes what is probably the best balance between fanboi-ism and Mac-phobia: he points out that over-reliance on one operating system - any OS - is an invitation to disaster. In other words, even in the very unlikely case that Mac OS X or Linux becomes as ubiquitous as Windows, we'd be in the same place. Monoculture is dangerous.
    Last edited by Paul Daniel Ash; 06-01-2010 at 02:58 PM. Reason: more links

Thanks

macs can get viruses. But the majority of the crowd who would get said viruses run windows. Infect 1 million, or 100 million. hmmmmm

Twitter: @tshoults

Thanks

Yes...for now.

There isn't a lot of virus for Mac OS X, but it is still vulnerable to them.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to awesomeSlayer For This Useful Post:

iphnblues (06-01-2010)

Thanks

Default apple isnt safe its just safer for now
    the reason there are so many windows viruses compared to mac is because windows makes up almost all of the market in my eyes there is no real reason for people to hack macs but if google changes to just mac os then that might be all the reason people need to focus there work on mac i read an article the other day about a worm that got on the mac through im and would then send its self out to everyone in the buddys list so no its not the superman os like everyone thinks i myself kinda cant wait to see the smugness wiped from mac users face when they to are buying a $60 virus program but hey thats just me

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iphnblues For This Useful Post:

Adilcoolrocks (06-02-2010), jvoytko1992 (06-02-2010), spazturtle (06-02-2010)

Thanks

Yep. Exacitacily!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to moon#pie For This Useful Post:

iphnblues (06-01-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone staterunner180's Avatar
    Thanks

Its not that Mac is safer then Windows, its just there aren't as many people searching for holes and creating viruses for OS X. Its the same in Linux, I prefer Ubuntu 10.04 over Windows for many reasons, but one of the biggest is there just aren't as many people trying to hack Linux or Mac computers as there are people trying to invade your Windows box. Plus its open-source which is really nice. I love not paying for software
    Quote Originally Posted by lolcats1 View Post
    i will pound you mercilessly with my bacon rod until your your eyes pop out.

Twitter It Up!!

http://twitter.com/staterunner180

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to staterunner180 For This Useful Post:

iphnblues (06-01-2010), spazturtle (06-02-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by staterunner180 View Post
    Its not that Mac is safer then Windows, its just there aren't as many people searching for holes and creating viruses for OS X. Its the same in Linux, I prefer Ubuntu 10.04 over Windows for many reasons, but one of the biggest is there just aren't as many people trying to hack Linux or Mac computers as there are people trying to invade your Windows box. Plus its open-source which is really nice. I love not paying for software
    Quote Originally Posted by iphnblues View Post
    the reason there are so many windows viruses compared to mac is because windows makes up almost all of the market in my eyes there is no real reason for people to hack macs but if google changes to just mac os then that might be all the reason people need to focus there work on mac i read an article the other day about a worm that got on the mac through im and would then send its self out to everyone in the buddys list so no its not the superman os like everyone thinks i myself kinda cant wait to see the smugness wiped from mac users face when they to are buying a $60 virus program but hey thats just me
    yep all true

Please know we are praying Kyle (poetic_folly) and Robyn Matthews for your little one.
    You too blkcadi
    Thank You.

Thanks

All the comments so far are nonsense. It does not matter if there are more PC's out there, along with people only creating viruses for it. This thread is about if Mac's are actually safer than Windows. There are many variables to consider judging such a statement. The OS's overall code/holes/programs etc. Basic fact is Mac is built on a Unix kernal which is the oldest and one of the safest operating systems.

-Win7 Ultimate Retail Dualboot with Mac OSX 10.5.8 On PC, Core 2 Duo, 4GBRam, 300GB Drive, 500GB External, Nvidia Geforce 8400GS

Thanks

i have a feeling there is gonna b a lot more virus makers for mac now

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by staterunner180 View Post
    ...Plus its open-source which is really nice. I love not paying for software
    Being open-source does not make it free. Why do people continually and incorrectly equate open-source with free?!

There are many open-source programs that are not free as well as many closed-source programs that are free.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

You guys probably do not differentiate viruses, trojans, rootkits and hacking itself.

Even pentagon got hacked, so there is no one in the damn world to tell which OS is safer.
    Rootkit is the exploit in the system, so there is no difference again.
    But viruses and trojans, which require user-side interaction... UNIX-like OS' are less prone to virus attacks (Mac OS or Linux does not matter), it is the matter of architecture, cuz unlike in windows, any such software on nix would require root access, which is impossible without user entering root (or sudo) password. Windows, even in Vista/7 does not, while within XP it is enough to be in administrators group any such malware can install by itself, in Vista/7 only UAC saves you from such bull****, and as you all know, it is widely-known to disable the UAC for it is very annoying, which again makes you vulnerable.

As some expert said some time ago (i don't recall his name), the weakest point in any OS' is in between the monitor and the chair.
    PRAETORIANNI NONNUMQUAM IN PROELIO NUMQUAM IN BELLO SUPERANTUR

16. The Following User Says Thank You to dennder For This Useful Post:

Gustavo Saliola (06-01-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Windows 7 has been good to me! Just keep your stuff back'd up folks...

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eZStaR View Post
    All the comments so far are nonsense. It does not matter if there are more PC's out there, along with people only creating viruses for it. This thread is about if Mac's are actually safer than Windows. There are many variables to consider judging such a statement. The OS's overall code/holes/programs etc. Basic fact is Mac is built on a Unix kernal which is the oldest and one of the safest operating systems.
    A Mac in the hands of 99% of the worlds population is no more safer than a PC with Windows. The biggest threat to any computer's security is the idiot behind the keyboard.

As long as Mac OS can only be installed on hardware that is overpriced by about 400%, it will never take a larger market share than Windows. As long as Windows has the largest market share, virus/malware writers will continue to target it more than Mac OS or Linux.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rokesomesmeefer For This Useful Post:

spazturtle (06-02-2010), TheGrandFinale2001 (06-01-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rokesomesmeefer View Post
    A Mac in the hands of 99% of the worlds population is no more safer than a PC with Windows. The biggest threat to any computer's security is the idiot behind the keyboard.

As long as Mac OS can only be installed on hardware that is overpriced by about 400%, it will never take a larger market share than Windows. As long as Windows has the largest market share, virus/malware writers will continue to target it more than Mac OS or Linux.
    Thats actually what Im talking about. You guys keep comparing market share, more users etc. Doesn't change the fact which OS has better security overall. If you took out the massive amounts of programs for windows, and just judged the whole OS itself, Mac would be superior.

But I do agree with you about the price. Although windows copied a lot of things off Mac, [Mac came out before windows] only reason windows sold more is because of price alone, nothing more. If mac/OS costed less, it would be leading in market shares with 100% guarantee. Otherwise, until windows gets a real terminal shell, can compile POSIX source and not have a garbage native programming api I will stick to a mac
    Last edited by eZStaR; 06-01-2010 at 04:24 PM.

-Win7 Ultimate Retail Dualboot with Mac OSX 10.5.8 On PC, Core 2 Duo, 4GBRam, 300GB Drive, 500GB External, Nvidia Geforce 8400GS

Green Apple
    Thanks

mac "viruses" are just fuc**** trojan horses that are founded in pirated software. I havent seen a real virus for mac ever.. correct if i am wrong.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Atomi For This Useful Post:

eZStaR (06-01-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

Haha, the irony! Maybe it's just that google hates bing more than the iPhone!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Atomi View Post
    mac "viruses" are just fuc**** trojan horses that are founded in pirated software. I havent seen a real virus for mac ever.. correct if i am wrong.
    "Leap-A" was a virus in OSX but there has been more.

Thanks

hmmm.
    killall Terminal[]

Thanks

maybe google should just make their own OS
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Thanks

^They are, but it is based off of Google Chrome and it is for netbooks.

Quote Originally Posted by Atomi View Post
    Well, major of them, but Intego discovered a Mac spyware which is OS X/OpinionSpy which is much like the Windows Spyware.
    Last edited by awesomeSlayer; 06-01-2010 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast