+ Reply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 61 to 76 of 76

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Is Mac OS X Really Safer Than Windows?

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Originally Posted by Success.Is.Sweet Pirating =/= Stealing If you had a car, and I really liked it, then make an exact copy of it, you would still have your car,
...
  1. #61
    Developing Developer moon#pie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5,215
    Thanks
    781
    Thanked 372 Times in 307 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Success.Is.Sweet View Post
    Pirating =/= Stealing

    If you had a car, and I really liked it, then make an exact copy of it, you would still have your car, and I would have a copy of it. I did not steal your car.
    What does that have to do with the price of peanuts in china?

    He's talking about downloading stolen crap from the Internet, not backing up copies of DVD's for personal use.


    Twitter: @tshoults

  2. #62
    iPhoneaholic NSXrebel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    497
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 40 Times in 34 Posts

    Yes, there ARE anti-"virus" programs for Mac OSX.

    Quote Originally Posted by iphnblues View Post
    no there is even though some people insist there are no viruses for the mac os even though a worm is a sub-category of a virus but im pretty sure ill get a comment saying im stupid and have no idea what im talking about and that because its Unix its so safe like a few safe guards are going to stop people from making crap for it any lock can be picked and im not just talking about hacking im mean viruses there are ways around anything and everything


    thank you thank you thank you someone who understands where im coming from two thumbs up to u my friend (Great minds think a like) lol
    I'm not gonna call you stupid, but you are misinformed. A worm≠virus≠trojan. They are all malware, but not the same. People use the terms loosely and interchange them regularly, but that doesn't mean they're right.

    As it is right now, there are NO known viruses for OSX.

    There are trojans and worms for OSX though, however, they need admin user password to get installed, hence why they are called trojans/worms, and not viruses.

    Now to the other part of your argument, getting malware on a computer and hacking it are not the same thing for the most part. Those hackers that hacked Macs went in knowing specific vulnerabilities, which is why they were able to do so in a relative short amount of time. Not only that, but they had physical access to the machines. Those hacks were not done over the internet or any kind of network.

    I'm no hacker myself, but I have the tools required to "hack" into a Windows machine and retrieve passwords for just about any and all accounts on said machine, including Admin accounts. Only thing is, I need physical access to said machine. I cannot do it over the internet, or even a local network.

    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the general thought here from the Mac camp, are not saying that you can't hack Mac OSX, but that it's generally safer than anything Windows, which is true.


    Again folks, yes you can hack OSX and any other OS you can think of. What the article, Google, and anyone that has a bit of knowledge are saying is that Mac OSX and Linux are way safer than MS Windows, because they are UNIX based. It's not saying, "No, you can't hack OSX/Linux"

    There are no viruses for OSX either, so quit spreading lies/misinformation. Yes there are worms/trojans and anti-virus programs for Mac.

  3. #63
    What's Jailbreak? BlackDrag0n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    behind you
    Posts
    17
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    you guys dont know what you are saying, steve jobs paid bill gates to help him with the mac os x at the begging. It is in a interview on youtube check it up

  4. #64
    Super Moderator Cer0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    MN/WI
    Posts
    14,002
    Thanks
    388
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

    OSX was built on much of the OS the NeXT made. NeXT was the company Jobs founded after being forced from Apple.


    But if it is on Youtube it must be true. I wanna see, linky?
    Last edited by Cer0; 06-02-2010 at 11:06 PM.

  5. #65
    iPhoneaholic NSXrebel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    497
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 40 Times in 34 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackDrag0n View Post
    you guys dont know what you are saying, steve jobs paid bill gates to help him with the mac os x at the begging. It is in a interview on youtube check it up
    Wow, talk about not having the slightest clue. Bill Gates/MS never had anything to do with development of OSX. MS wrote software for the Mac back in the 80's, then Office and IE in the 90's.

    The $150 million that MS invested in Apple in '97 was for non-voting stock. MS agreed to keep writing/supporting Office for Mac, and Apple would make IE it's default browser.

    What people seem to forget or just don't know is that MS was caught using stolen Quicktime code in their Video for Windows program, pretty much line by line code. Before that, video sucked balls on Windows, but Apple's Quicktime played it smoothly.

    After the whole GUI lawsuit that dragged on for several years, MS and Apple decided to settle out of court. We don't know the exact details of the settlement, besides the $150 million investment. If Apple really wanted to, it could have sued the crap out of MS and would have won this time too.

    So no, Bill Gates did not help create OSX, which was released in 2001. The closest thing to OSX from MS was Vista, which was released in 2007. That's 7 years later!

    iHaters talk about how Apple doesn't innovate and what not. They should take a look at MS, they really don't innovate anything, always late to the game. The only reason they have lasted this long was due to FUD, lies, and deceit by scaring away any and all competition, except Apple of course.

    Be, NeXT, and Apple offered new technologies and innovations way ahead of what MS, sometimes ahead by a decade. What's interesting is that these companies that were innovating more stuff than MS, were being run by ex-Apple employees. Steve Jobs created NeXT, and their NeXTOS was to become Apple Mac OSX.

    Windows 4.0 aka NT, was supposed to be a move away from DOS based Windows. When that didn't work, MS went back to DOS. Win 1.x, 2.x, 3.x, 95, 98, 98SE, ME were all based on DOS. That's right, up until around 2000, MS' Windows was based on 20 year technology, which wasn't even created by Bill Gates/Microsoft. They bought DOS from Seattle Computer Products allegedly for $50k.

    Microsoft can no longer show up late to a market and throw their might around to forcibly dominate it. May have worked back then, but not anymore. Case in point, iPod/iTMS/iPhone/AppStore/etc... The Zune, Plays for Sure, WMA, Win Mobile, etc, all failures.

    I suggest you all watch Pirates of Silicone Valley and read other books about computer history.

  6. #66
    Green Apple Faxmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    82
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 18 Times in 13 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by eZStaR View Post
    Thats actually what Im talking about. You guys keep comparing market share, more users etc. Doesn't change the fact which OS has better security overall. If you took out the massive amounts of programs for windows, and just judged the whole OS itself, Mac would be superior.

    But I do agree with you about the price. Although windows copied a lot of things off Mac, [Mac came out before windows] only reason windows sold more is because of price alone, nothing more. If mac/OS costed less, it would be leading in market shares with 100% guarantee. Otherwise, until windows gets a real terminal shell, can compile POSIX source and not have a garbage native programming api I will stick to a mac
    I think both operating systems have to come to a point whether either can do pretty much anything you want and the best OS is primarily a matter of preference. A lot of Mac Users still seem to think that Windows users have to reformat every 6 months or PC Users think that Mac users can't play any games. It's just not true. It's just a matter of which flavor you prefer, you can't really evaluate operating systems objectively and conclude one is better than the other.

    If you have one thing you very specifically want to do in a "serious" way, then you can probably find one OS to be better for that than the other. If you are a "serious" gamer, then you will want windows. If are "serious" about video editing, you'll probably end up on a mac. But both platforms are very capable at either task for 99% of people.

    At any rate, one of those old misconceptions that still lingers on is that "Mac is more secure". I'm sorry to say, it's just not true. Take a look at how long the Macbooks lasted at the last pwn2own competition . . .


    I've seen many security experts say that Mac OS is actually less secure than Windows because Apple hasn't had to worry about security like Microsoft has, so they haven't really done any of the things they need to be secure. Microsoft has really embraced fuzzing, which is something other companies really need to get on. Most of exploits used in pwn2own were found by fuzzing tools . . . By necessity, and a bit late, Microsoft has almost become a leader in security. Too bad they weren't so serious about it 10 years ago . . .

  7. #67
    iPhoneaholic NSXrebel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    497
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 40 Times in 34 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Faxmonkey View Post
    At any rate, one of those old misconceptions that still lingers on is that "Mac is more secure". I'm sorry to say, it's just not true. Take a look at how long the Macbooks lasted at the last pwn2own competition . . .

    Did you know that this hacker went in fully knowing the vulnerability of OSX. It's not like they just handed him a Mac computer, and told him "find me a hack, go!" Not only that, but he also had physical access to the machine. Give me a couple minutes with any Windows machine, and I can also "hack" into it, and I am not a hacker. It wasn't over a network.

    This is the same guy that found a previous hack to OSX. How many others have successfully hacked OSX? How come we don't hear about them?? I'm sure Windows has exponentially more hacks than anything OSX has.

    No one is arguing that you can't hack OSX. We're simply saying that it is SAFER than Windows.

  8. #68
    Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    4,823
    Thanks
    551
    Thanked 515 Times in 427 Posts

    ^Nothing is safe short of never attaching your computer to the internet. I understand how Macs get their great reputation, but that will be changing. In my opinion it took Apple way too long to get their products out of an Apple store and into other vendor's stores. It has held them back, but on the other hand it has helped. You will see more and more attacks on Macs now that they are getting more popular.

  9. #69
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    100
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked 22 Times in 14 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger92 View Post
    What does that have to do with the price of peanuts in china?

    He's talking about downloading stolen crap from the Internet, not backing up copies of DVD's for personal use.
    Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    Don't you love all this willy waving?

  10. #70
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    34
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    So from reading all the posts, it seems everybody is repeating themselves again and again.

    Basically it comes down to Popularity. Because Windows has been more popular for much longer, more people use Windows. Since more people use windows, more people hack windows. Because more people hack windows, the hacking issues have become more well known then hackings on a mac, so Microsoft has taken care of thousands and thousands of loop holes and vulnerabilities in Windows, literally making it way safer then a Mac since there havent been nearly as many hack attempts on a Mac, causing Apple to not put much focus on the security because the hackers arent showing them loopholes and vulnerabilities.

    Now, into a bit deeper.. Since the popularity is on Windows, thats where all the hackers, trojans, viruses, and all that stuff is at because its just the popular thing. So since Mac isnt as popular, its deemed safer ONLY because the demand for those things is on the PC.

    Before i mentioned the tides turning onto Mac. What i mean is, the Mac operating system is becoming so good, and so popular thanks to the help of the iPhone and iPad, that more and more people are giving it a shot, and finding out that its so much easier to use then Windows. I can see Mac becoming as, or more popular then windows in the future, which is going to flip flop the demand for hackers and viruses, creating more Mac hackers, and idiots that want to create viruses.

    I hope that makes sense!

  11. #71
    iPhoneaholic NSXrebel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    497
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 40 Times in 34 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by PMad View Post
    So from reading all the posts, it seems everybody is repeating themselves again and again.

    Basically it comes down to Popularity. Because Windows has been more popular for much longer, more people use Windows. Since more people use windows, more people hack windows. Because more people hack windows, the hacking issues have become more well known then hackings on a mac, so Microsoft has taken care of thousands and thousands of loop holes and vulnerabilities in Windows, literally making it way safer then a Mac since there havent been nearly as many hack attempts on a Mac, causing Apple to not put much focus on the security because the hackers arent showing them loopholes and vulnerabilities.

    Now, into a bit deeper.. Since the popularity is on Windows, thats where all the hackers, trojans, viruses, and all that stuff is at because its just the popular thing. So since Mac isnt as popular, its deemed safer ONLY because the demand for those things is on the PC.

    Before i mentioned the tides turning onto Mac. What i mean is, the Mac operating system is becoming so good, and so popular thanks to the help of the iPhone and iPad, that more and more people are giving it a shot, and finding out that its so much easier to use then Windows. I can see Mac becoming as, or more popular then windows in the future, which is going to flip flop the demand for hackers and viruses, creating more Mac hackers, and idiots that want to create viruses.

    I hope that makes sense!

    More lies and misinformation. In the 80's and 90's, Mac OS (not OSX) and other operating systems besides Windows, had plenty of viruses and other malware. Apple's numbers were even smaller back then, yet they still had their share of problems with malware.

    Then Apple made the switch to OSX in 2000, using NeXT OS as its basis for the new operating system. NeXT OS was UNIX based.

    Now Apple's marketshare is still low relatively, but there are millions of more Macs out there than there were back in the 80's & 90's, but why is it that there are no known viruses? Yes, there are trojans and worms, but those require user input to infect a machine.

    You all keep spouting security through obscurity, but the fact is that OSX is much safer than previous versions, and definitely way safer than anything Windows. Mac OS went from having an even smaller marketshare with plenty of problems with malware, to bigger marketshare with few problems with malware. The difference, a UNIX based operating system.

  12. #72
    Super Moderator Cer0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    MN/WI
    Posts
    14,002
    Thanks
    388
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by NSXrebel View Post
    More lies and misinformation. In the 80's and 90's, Mac OS (not OSX) and other operating systems besides Windows, had plenty of viruses and other malware. Apple's numbers were even smaller back then, yet they still had their share of problems with malware.

    Then Apple made the switch to OSX in 2000, using NeXT OS as its basis for the new operating system. NeXT OS was UNIX based.

    Now Apple's marketshare is still low relatively, but there are millions of more Macs out there than there were back in the 80's & 90's, but why is it that there are no known viruses? Yes, there are trojans and worms, but those require user input to infect a machine.

    You all keep spouting security through obscurity, but the fact is that OSX is much safer than previous versions, and definitely way safer than anything Windows. Mac OS went from having an even smaller marketshare with plenty of problems with malware, to bigger marketshare with few problems with malware. The difference, a UNIX based operating system.


    I 100% agee with you. Not sure why people keep bringing up popularity when OS9 was riddled with as many viruses as windows almost and it had far less market share than what OSX has now.

  13. #73
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    233
    Thanks
    54
    Thanked 33 Times in 23 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Success.Is.Sweet View Post
    Pirating =/= Stealing

    If you had a car, and I really liked it, then make an exact copy of it, you would still have your car, and I would have a copy of it. I did not steal your car.
    LOL, well played, sir.
    EVGA P55LE Mobo/Core [email protected]/Corsair H50
    8GB Corsair Donimator DDR3 1600/Radeon 5870
    2x 150 Raptors in Raid 0/2 TB Caviar for storage
    Denon AVR 590 Reciever
    46" Sony KDL-XBR9

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to cpkirkley For This Useful Post:

    Success.Is.Sweet (06-04-2010)

  15. #74
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    98
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Success.Is.Sweet View Post
    Pirating =/= Stealing

    If you had a car, and I really liked it, then make an exact copy of it, you would still have your car, and I would have a copy of it. I did not steal your car.
    ... that means you have to buy the parts, understand the schematics, hire labor, and get licenses in order to make a "copy" of the car. Just like if you want to make a "copy" of a movie, you have to pay the actors, recreate the scenes, buy all the production equipment, buy props/attire for the characters/scenes and recreate animations/cgi. If you're going to make comparisons, make sure you're using the right ones. Pirating is stealing. There's no if, ands, or buts about it. You're stealing MEDIA/FILES/INTELLECTUAL DATA, all protected under law. What if someone named Bob really liked your personal information (SSN/Bank account numbers/etc.)? According to your belief, if Bob simply made a copy of your personal information, you would still have your personal information, and he would have a copy of it. He did not steal your personal information.

  16. #75
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    56
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts

    If it is, it's only because apple is so restrictive. Apple is like a parent that won't let their kid out because they might get hurt.

  17. #76
    iPhoneaholic NSXrebel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    497
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 40 Times in 34 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by 01grander View Post
    If it is, it's only because apple is so restrictive. Apple is like a parent that won't let their kid out because they might get hurt.
    It's more like you're the kid whose parents they don't let out and you grow up all sheltered not knowing about things in the real world.


    Linux and all its flavors are less "restrictive" than Apple's OSX, yet they are not plagued like Windows. Now how can that be?? Could it be the fact that it is UNIX based? just like OSX??

+ Reply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts