+ Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 76

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Is Mac OS X Really Safer Than Windows?

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Ezstar, apperently you didn't read the part about macs being easier to hack than windows. I use window and Linux. Like both for different reasons. Never had a virus on
...
  1. #41
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    481
    Thanks
    260
    Thanked 174 Times in 72 Posts

    Ezstar, apperently you didn't read the part about macs being easier to hack than windows.
    I use window and Linux. Like both for different reasons. Never had a virus on any of my window pc's. People just get stupid and do things they shouldn't do.
    I'm getting a iMac soon, not because OS X is better, they all have their flaws.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cokeman For This Useful Post:

    spazturtle (06-02-2010)

  3. #42
    iPhoneaholic eZStaR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Modmyi
    Posts
    344
    Thanks
    34
    Thanked 21 Times in 14 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Cokeman View Post
    Ezstar, apperently you didn't read the part about macs being easier to hack than windows.
    I use window and Linux. Like both for different reasons. Never had a virus on any of my window pc's. People just get stupid and do things they shouldn't do.
    I'm getting a iMac soon, not because OS X is better, they all have their flaws.
    Apparently you only read false info.
    Since Im not going to repeat my self, how about just read this again carefully.

    Originally Posted by NSXrebel
    I can tell just by the way some of you type and express your ideas that you are young, most likely too young to remember that prior to OSX, Mac OS (1-9) had plenty of viruses. Other less popular operating systems had even more viruses than Mac OS. That alone proves that you don't have to have the most popular OS to have the most viruses.

    Critics keep spouting security through obscurity, which is bs. The fact is that, even though there is malware for OSX, it is much safer than anything Windows. Mac OSX is in fact UNIX, as it is UNIX 03 certified. Any OS that is UNIX based, is by default more secure than Windows.

    Back to this LEAP.A "virus" you speak of, is in fact, not a virus. It is a Worm. A virus can self-execute, copy itself, and infect a computer just by opening any file/folder it is contained in.

    On the other hand, a worm, like the Leap.A needs user input to do it's thing. On a Mac, that means it needs the user to enter their admin username and password.

    Don't confuse a virus/trojan/worm/spyware, as they are all malware, but different from each other. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there are no/none/zero/nada/zip viruses for Mac OSX.

    Having said that, no Operating System is hack proof. NONE. Even though Macs have been hacked, it was through Local Access, meaning they had physical access to the machine. It wasn't a hack over the internet.

    -Win7 Ultimate Retail Dualboot with Mac OSX 10.5.8 On PC, Core 2 Duo, 4GBRam, 300GB Drive, 500GB External, Nvidia Geforce 8400GS

  4. #43
    Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    4,823
    Thanks
    551
    Thanked 515 Times in 427 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by iLoveWindows&iPhone View Post

    As for anti-virus software.... I HATE it!! Soo annoying, runs tons of services and background tasks....slowing your system. Anti-virus software is worse than a virus!
    You are using the wrong antivirus then. There are many that don't affect your operating system's performance.

  5. #44
    Developing Developer moon#pie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5,215
    Thanks
    781
    Thanked 372 Times in 307 Posts

    OSX and all the various forms of Linux are based of of UNIX. Windows is built on DOS.

    I think you all are confusing the difference between being hacked and getting a virus. Viruses come from files the you download (can you say "free pr0n"?).

    Getting hacked is when someone is trying to gain access to you computer.


    Twitter: @tshoults

  6. #45
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    34
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    Putting Mac's and PC's into perspective, you come out with a Supply and Demand type of view point towards the whole Safety of the system regarding Hacking, Viruses, and Security.

    Since PC's are the current dominant force on the market, more people want more things from PC users. Thats where most of the hackers are housed, in the PC market. Now if the tides were turned and Mac's were the dominant ones, then I could guarantee that Mac's would be the target of more hackings, viruses, and other threats.

    And they are getting there, Apple is growing fast, and more and more PC's are being replaced with Mac's. Eventually, they will be the dominant computer on the market, and everything will flip flop.

  7. #46
    Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    4,823
    Thanks
    551
    Thanked 515 Times in 427 Posts

    Why would it flip flop?

  8. #47
    Developing Developer moon#pie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5,215
    Thanks
    781
    Thanked 372 Times in 307 Posts

    Seems like half of the people here are saying exactly what i said in the first post.


    Twitter: @tshoults

  9. #48
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Well, i do a lot of pirating, and i didn't find a virus/trojan yet..

  10. #49
    Developing Developer moon#pie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5,215
    Thanks
    781
    Thanked 372 Times in 307 Posts

    ^loser


    Twitter: @tshoults

  11. #50
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Why?
    Mac is safer then Windows..

  12. #51
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by iphnblues View Post
    the reason there are so many windows viruses compared to mac is because windows makes up almost all of the market in my eyes there is no real reason for people to hack macs but if google changes to just mac os then that might be all the reason people need to focus there work on mac i read an article the other day about a worm that got on the mac through im and would then send its self out to everyone in the buddys list so no its not the superman os like everyone thinks i myself kinda cant wait to see the smugness wiped from mac users face when they to are buying a $60 virus program but hey thats just me
    This person just made me laugh! He is basically completely agreeing with everything I've said throughout my IT Career! I love it!

    And yes, you are correct in my eyes, 100%

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to jvoytko1992 For This Useful Post:

    iphnblues (06-02-2010)

  14. #52
    iPhoneaholic NSXrebel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    436
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 33 Times in 28 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by iphnblues
    the reason there are so many windows viruses compared to mac is because windows makes up almost all of the market in my eyes there is no real reason for people to hack macs but if google changes to just mac os then that might be all the reason people need to focus there work on mac i read an article the other day about a worm that got on the mac through im and would then send its self out to everyone in the buddys list so no its not the superman os like everyone thinks i myself kinda cant wait to see the smugness wiped from mac users face when they to are buying a $60 virus program but hey thats just me

    I'll say it again, there are NO known viruses for Mac OSX. None. Yes there are trojans/worms, but no viruses. Until then, there is no need for an anti-virus. On OSX, trojans/worms need user input for them to infect your machine. Macs are not like Windows, where you can get infected by something as simple as plugging in a usb thumb drive with malware in it. That's not the case with OSX.

    Just like with Windows, a little common sense goes a long way. Don't download and install pirated software, specially from unknown sources. Don't enter your admin username and password, keep your machine updated, and you should be golden. No need for "anti-virus" on your Mac.

  15. #53
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Mississippi, USA
    Posts
    48
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by eZStaR View Post
    Thats actually what Im talking about. You guys keep comparing market share, more users etc. Doesn't change the fact which OS has better security overall. If you took out the massive amounts of programs for windows, and just judged the whole OS itself, Mac would be superior.

    But I do agree with you about the price. Although windows copied a lot of things off Mac, [Mac came out before windows] only reason windows sold more is because of price alone, nothing more. If mac/OS costed less, it would be leading in market shares with 100% guarantee. Otherwise, until windows gets a real terminal shell, can compile POSIX source and not have a garbage native programming api I will stick to a mac
    Are you joking me? If any hacker wanted to crack a Mac like most do windows it wouldn't take much neither has more security one has more people motivated to cracking it.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Ashton Huey For This Useful Post:

    iphnblues (06-02-2010)

  17. #54
    Super Moderator Cer0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    MN/WI
    Posts
    13,984
    Thanks
    388
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 888 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by jvoytko1992 View Post
    This person just made me laugh! He is basically completely agreeing with everything I've said throughout my IT Career! I love it!

    And yes, you are correct in my eyes, 100%
    I see the point of seeing that but what about OS9? It had a ton of viruses. It had less market share than what OSX has. So then why did they target that OS version if that logic plays?


    OS9 was before Apple switched to NeXT's Unix based OS; AKA OSX.

  18. #55
    Developing Developer moon#pie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5,215
    Thanks
    781
    Thanked 372 Times in 307 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by FrediHack View Post
    Why?
    Mac is safer then Windows..
    because you are stealing.


    Twitter: @tshoults

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to moon#pie For This Useful Post:

    iphnblues (06-02-2010)

  20. #56
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    14
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    So there are no anti-virus software for mac osx?

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to emer_cvt For This Useful Post:

    iphnblues (06-02-2010)

  22. #57
    What's Jailbreak? iphnblues's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Mobile , Alabama
    Posts
    28
    Thanks
    55
    Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by emer_cvt View Post
    So there are no anti-virus software for mac osx?
    no there is even though some people insist there are no viruses for the mac os even though a worm is a sub-category of a virus but im pretty sure ill get a comment saying im stupid and have no idea what im talking about and that because its Unix its so safe like a few safe guards are going to stop people from making crap for it any lock can be picked and im not just talking about hacking im mean viruses there are ways around anything and everything

    Quote Originally Posted by jvoytko1992 View Post
    This person just made me laugh! He is basically completely agreeing with everything I've said throughout my IT Career! I love it!

    And yes, you are correct in my eyes, 100%
    thank you thank you thank you someone who understands where im coming from two thumbs up to u my friend (Great minds think a like) lol
    Last edited by iphnblues; 06-02-2010 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  23. #58
    Super Moderator Cer0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    MN/WI
    Posts
    13,984
    Thanks
    388
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 888 Posts

    There are several anti-virus software suites for OSX. Most of the time it is used to scan email so you don't pass on viruses to others that you recieve in email. I got 2 the other day via email that were window's viruses.

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to Cer0 For This Useful Post:

    iphnblues (06-02-2010)

  25. #59
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    100
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked 22 Times in 14 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger92 View Post
    because you are stealing.
    Pirating =/= Stealing

    If you had a car, and I really liked it, then make an exact copy of it, you would still have your car, and I would have a copy of it. I did not steal your car.
    Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    Don't you love all this willy waving?

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to Success.Is.Sweet For This Useful Post:

    iphnblues (06-02-2010)

  27. #60
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    15
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by PAKIS-RULEZ View Post
    the wrath will be judged on the MAC OS soon we shall wait patiently... lol

    mac OS is for slow minded people who have no guts... Windows r for ppl who got guts to keep it away from virus and make it work flawlessly.

    mac OS is capable of getting hacked its being done already and tested and proven! apple don't want to admitt it.


    Not sure about you but it took me some guts to actually buy a MAC cost it is costing me a bomb, while i didn't need any guts to buy a stupid netbook.

    Well i just migrated from Windows to OSX, about a year ago, it serves me well, no crashes, no annoying SPYware, worms, virus, crazy numbers of POPUPS and all sorts of nonsense. I couldnt keep track on how many times that i had to reformat the damn WINDOWS PC/lappie because it is infected with some kind of funky virus and the antivirus can't really solve my issue.


    just my 2 cents.

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts