+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: $99 iPhone OS, Cloud-Based Apple TV Coming?

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Engadget is claiming they've got a scoop this morning about a fundamental refresh of Apple TV . The newest iteration of Apple's "hobby project" is supposedly based on iPhone OS
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default $99 iPhone OS, Cloud-Based Apple TV Coming?

Engadget is claiming they've got a scoop this morning about a fundamental refresh of Apple TV. The newest iteration of Apple's "hobby project" is supposedly based on iPhone OS 4 and the same A4 CPU as the iPad and the next-generation iPhone. The new device will have flash storage, but content will be stored on Apple's servers rather than locally, though Time Machine backup options will supposedly be available. And in a separate hint, an email from Apple Support that suggests a major change to how iTunes video is delivered may be forthcoming.

Engadget's Joshua Topolsky writes this morning about a tip he's received that he says is confirmed by "a source very close to Apple." The new Apple TV, which Topolsky claims has been under development long before Google announced its TV solution, is now firmly a part of the iPod/iPhone/iPad family ("iTV?"). Based on the A4 system-on-a-chip, the device, which Topolsky is describing as "an iPhone without a screen," will by a tiny box with just a power cord and video-out port that will output 1080p HD. As opposed to the current Apple TV and its 160GB hard drive, the new device will just have a small 16GB flash memory space for the OS and apps, and will sync with Apple's cloud for content. Time Machine backup will be available for those who want local storage. And of all that news, the price may be the biggest shocker: just $99.

Possibly lending some credence to this unsourced rumor is a random post on ZDNet's "Apple Core" blog. A reader wrote in to describe a strange interaction he had with Apple Support. He was waiting for new episodes of the TV show "Doctor Who" for his Apple TV, but they weren't being downloaded. When he emailed support, he got an oddly defensive response from a rep saying that he "can't comment" on "rumors about decisions, products, programs, or promotions that Apple has not officially announced." In a season when most "rumors" concern everything other than the almost-forgotten Apple TV, the response was particularly curious.

Google recently announced a plan to work with Sony to develop TVs that run Android, and is partnering with Logitech and Intel to provide Atom processor-based set-top boxes. The devices are said to begin shipping in fall of this year. Engadget's Topolsky didn't give a release date for the supposed Apple TV refresh, other than to claim that it wouldn't be announced at the Worldwide Developers Conference next month, which he notes "will be focused on the capabilities of the new iPhone."
    Last edited by Paul Daniel Ash; 05-28-2010 at 09:35 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

Freerunnering (05-28-2010), reanimationxp (05-28-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Cool. I can put this in my living room next to my 3D HDTV. Because this sounds like something that I need just as much as I need 1080p Mythbusters blowing things up in the most realistic manner possible.

Upon thinking about this, if it's iPhone OS based...I'm going to hook this UP to my 3D HDTV, jailbreak it to output games to my tv, and take Pocket God to an entirely new level.
    Last edited by ownerofspam; 05-28-2010 at 09:44 AM.

adp
    Thanks

iPhone OS??????!!!!! So I guess the prophecy was really true...

If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to adp For This Useful Post:

EdmundGerber (05-28-2010), Gustavo Saliola (05-28-2010), LSZ33 (05-29-2010), staterunner180 (05-28-2010), zatpgw (05-28-2010)

Thanks

holdin' out for the imat that can't multitask

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adp View Post

lol this is epic win

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

They can't keep putting
    iPhone os and shyt just to make it cheap, iPad couldve been osx but that costs to much?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default thanks but no thanks
    I just discovered a great product and its like cloud based tv where you can see any program that have been aired last 4 weeks and cause iTunes series and movies arent in europe, this future machine is just useless. You lucky bastards (americans) but hey!! you have AT&T.

Owned <3

Thanks

I've always found the apple tv to be pretty cool

iPhone? More like MyPhone dillonsmith9147's Avatar
    Thanks

What are you talking about the iMat wont be possible, we'll all be dead 12/21/12 remember

adp
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dillonsmith9147 View Post
    What are you talking about the iMat wont be possible, we'll all be dead 12/21/12 remember
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

Thanks

Come on, Apple! Can you develop a different operating system?

But, despite that, it actually sounds pretty cool.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Livin the iPhone Life JedixJarf's Avatar
    Thanks

MKV support plz...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Looking forward to see the progression on this.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

...And this closes a perfect friday @ work. As said, an Epic Win.

TNX for the magic.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 888 Posts

Adding the A4 will help it big time. I love my AppleTV and I don't really care if it runs the iPhone OS. I just want it to have a little more power so 1080p files run fine on it. Sad that the rumor is 16GB SSD but oh well.

I will most likely be buying one anyway because my AppleTV has gotten it's fair use and beyond since I bought shortly after it's release.

Thanks

The Apple TV is a great idea, but it seems Apple really doesn't know what they want to do with it. They've changed the OS a lot and its still kinda eh I dont know. I use mine often but I just stream from my iTunes library. Hopefully if they go this direction with it it'll work a whole lot better.

Cash has given me a 1337er title Kaatje's Avatar
    Thanks

If this is true, I will be picking up 4 of them

Machine: Mac Pro Early 2009: CPU(s): 2 x Intel Xeon X5570 2.93GHz RAM: 32.00GB Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 1024 MB Display: Dual Apple 24" LED Cinema OS: Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.4 Disk: 7TB - iPhone 32GB 3G S⃣

Thanks

gettin more an more like lolycats. dont be so synical bro.
    killall Terminal[]

Green Apple
    Thanks

I like SSD drives but it's really only useful in portable devices (ie phones and laptops). I also like cloud services but I don't think it can deliver 1080p streaming. Hell, I can't stream iPod Classic resolution (320*240 I believe) over my network to my PS3 without massive buffering. Imaging 1080p over a crappy internet like mine (St Louis has horrible internet. At least our AT&T cell phone service is better than the rest of the nation though!)
    I think they'll need to keep the HD space on there and have cloud as just place to save it until later & for music storage. Music is much easier to stream.

Livin the iPhone Life billchase2's Avatar
    Thanks

I already own an Apple TV and have been waiting for them to push an iPhone OS update to it. Hopefully the new OS and features will work on the current models too.
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad