+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 42

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Half-Life 2 Finally Available on the Mac

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
On the side note, IT'S WALLANCE BREEN, NOT WALTER BREEN, PAUL!!!
...
  1. #21
    MMi's "X" Member awesomeSlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Dragonspiral Tower in 3DS
    Posts
    4,524
    Thanks
    114
    Thanked 347 Times in 259 Posts

    On the side note, IT'S WALLANCE BREEN, NOT WALTER BREEN, PAUL!!!
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

  2. #22
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    166
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts

    I wonder if we'll ever see "games for windows" for mac...

  3. #23
    Developing Developer moon#pie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5,215
    Thanks
    781
    Thanked 372 Times in 307 Posts

    I just bought orange box, but can't download because their servers are too busy. crap....


    Twitter: @tshoults

  4. #24
    MMi's "X" Member awesomeSlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Dragonspiral Tower in 3DS
    Posts
    4,524
    Thanks
    114
    Thanked 347 Times in 259 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by cypher7810 View Post
    Wow, 4 or 5 years late. Good job valve. Maybe Mac will get doom 3, or COD 2 soon. Wonder what happens when a new game comes out and you cant run it anymore, can you go get a new video card, or do you have to get a whole new system, lol.
    Doom 3 is already on Mac.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

  5. #25
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    812
    Thanks
    72
    Thanked 147 Times in 90 Posts

    Where's Episode 3 Valve?? And I hope to God Apple pulls it's head out of it's *** and makes the drivers for the videocards at least 3/4 of what Windows gets. It's laughable that they can't even get half what the competition does.
    Last edited by KartRacer; 05-26-2010 at 02:28 PM.

  6. #26
    iPhone? More like MyPhone njosnavelin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    107
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by KartRacer View Post
    I sure hope you don't make a living writing, because you frankly suck at it.
    That's not true, I happen to like a lot of Paul's articles. Besides, it's meant to be a mildly satirical piece if you failed to notice. You're on a mac-orientated site (hence the modmyi) so don't bother commenting if you're going to be making personal attacks on people
    When I said that I was 'king of forwards', you got to understand that I don't come up with this stuff. I just forward it along. You wouldn't arrest a guy who was just passing drugs from one guy to another?

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to njosnavelin For This Useful Post:

    moon#pie (05-26-2010)

  8. #27
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Gaming on a mac wont be the same untill mac gets a lot larger active users who want to game on it...
    Untill then... Why bother we gave you bootcamp ~ apple

  9. #28
    Super Moderator Cer0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    MN/WI
    Posts
    13,989
    Thanks
    388
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 889 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by dennder View Post
    Lol... i played HL2, Ep1 and Ep2 on a mac some time ago already... and guys, i seriously doubt the source engine is not a port (point me to the info if i'm wrong).
    But valve's expansion on a Mac is a great move. Blizzard with SC2 and Diablo3 will make it even better, and who knows, maybe someday ppl. will actually play on mac's as much as on PC's.

    And for those whining, just check the game-list for apple computers, you might change your mind.
    Actually Blizzard has been a support of Macs for a while not just SC2 and D3.

  10. #29
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Muppets like "sandstorm77" truly show how inept PC users are!
    Dude YOUR iPhone 3GS IS A MAC! IT RUNS MAC OS X!!
    JUST STEP AWAY FROM THE iPhone, and GO BUY A ZUNE!

    Steam maybe cool But Guys NO DEMOS so WTF?
    Sorry for all the Caps, just couldn't help myself...

  11. #30
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Milky Way, Solar System, Earth
    Posts
    140
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    cerote

    Actually, i meant it as - after all these years blizzard did not abandon mac platform, and that even the newest titles are available. Thats why i was referring to mac game-list.
    PRAETORIANNI NONNUMQUAM IN PROELIO NUMQUAM IN BELLO SUPERANTUR

  12. #31
    iPhoneaholic zoso10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    /dev/null
    Posts
    470
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 36 Times in 31 Posts

    Garry's Mod?

  13. #32
    Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Iowa (ISU for Vet School!)
    Posts
    3,920
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 310 Times in 264 Posts

    I like how virtually all the comments are either PC fanboys ripping on Macs for being so "late to the game" or Mac fanboys actually somehow trying to justify this extremely late arrival.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

    A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to sziklassy For This Useful Post:

    cpkirkley (05-27-2010)

  15. #33
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    51
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts

    Why are all of you complaining? Valve does not have a responsibility to develop for every effing platform known to man. I gurantee all of you complaining probably want half life on your iphone and are gonna be angry when that comes out in a year or so because it came out 6 years ago.

    Seriously be happy that gaming is finally coming to mac. Don't be pissed off because it is not VALVES job to make sure everything they release on a PC works on a MAC.

    Anyways this is pretty great. Finally people who own macs can start playing games with me which means sooner or later I'll be able to play with my mac friends on TF2 I wonder how it works on laptops though. Kinda makes you wonder doesn't it.

  16. #34
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    233
    Thanks
    54
    Thanked 33 Times in 23 Posts

    To people getting all excited about steam on the Mac, I would be as excited just yet.

    Keep in mind that only the source engine is mac native. Which means the non source game, which probably make of 60-70 percent of Steam's digital distribution model, are not.

    Dirt 2? Nope. Supreme Commander? Nope. Bad Company 2? Nope. Alpha Protocol? - You get the picture. And because they arent made in the source engine, they more likely than not never will be natively ported. More importantly, the companies that produce them, wont make plans for Mac's in the future.

    It takes a whole different level of coding and optimization to squeeze anything out of the downright weak graphic power of the GPUs associated with iMacs and Macbook Pros. Macbooks are being left out of this because integrated = fail. Mac Pro's will be fine, but really how many of the Mac userbase are using Mac Pro's?Frankly, its not worth it from a financial standpoint, given the 9 to 1 ratio of Win to Mac. Then toss in the downright ease in which games are pirated on OSX... I'd be lying if I said that ANYONE I know that plays (native) games on their Mac actually paid for the game they are playing.

    Valve is doing this not to show interest to Mac, but to stretch out the money producing lifecycle of an game engine thats going on SIX years old. Don't mistake this for anything other than a shrewd business decision by a company thats been on cruise control since 2006.
    EVGA P55LE Mobo/Core [email protected]/Corsair H50
    8GB Corsair Donimator DDR3 1600/Radeon 5870
    2x 150 Raptors in Raid 0/2 TB Caviar for storage
    Denon AVR 590 Reciever
    46" Sony KDL-XBR9

  17. #35
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    812
    Thanks
    72
    Thanked 147 Times in 90 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by cpkirkley View Post
    To people getting all excited about steam on the Mac, I would be as excited just yet.

    It takes a whole different level of coding and optimization to squeeze anything out of the downright weak graphic power of the GPUs associated with iMacs and Macbook Pros.

    Valve is doing this not to show interest to Mac, but to stretch out the money producing lifecycle of an game engine thats going on SIX years old. Don't mistake this for anything other than a shrewd business decision by a company thats been on cruise control since 2006.

    The MacBook Pros have pretty good GPUs because HL2/Ep1/Ep2 all run awesome at 1900x1200 on my 17 inch MPB in Windows 7. There is nothing that shows they are underpowered other than the dismal performance in OSX.

    The Source engine never was really hard on GPUs anyway. It still runs great, still looks great, and the character models are still really good. Even after six years. But there needs to be some SERIOUS work done on the graphics drivers because they really suck. Really suck. Every time I get to anywhere in any of the Half Life games that really tax the GPU it stutters very badly and the sound goes completely out. It's very frustrating because if I simply turn and look at a flat surface the FPS go way up and the sound comes back. Valve is moving in the right direction, and the games don't 'crash' per se. But the performance is just crap. The only way to fix it is Apple needs to man up and support their hardware like a vendor should. I doubt they will though, not in a timely manner anyway.

    And Valve has NOT been on cruise control since 2006!! Have you not played L4D, L4D2 or Team Fortress 2? I'd guess not if you think that Valve has sat on their asses and collected paychecks for the past 6 years. They've been busting hump making quite a few awesome games since Episode 2, have helped build an industry leading distribution system, and have come up with by far the best implementation of the evil that is DRM in any digital media outlet. That's not using cruise control at all.
    Last edited by KartRacer; 05-27-2010 at 05:00 PM.

  18. #36
    iPhone? More like MyPhone SchmilK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    249
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 275 Times in 67 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by darkrom View Post
    Wow great news! Apple is only 5 years behind the times when it comes to gaming! Maybe next they will be able to support Tetris!
    Totally agreed! Or maybe Halo 2 will be the next ported game.

  19. #37
    MMi's "X" Member awesomeSlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Dragonspiral Tower in 3DS
    Posts
    4,524
    Thanks
    114
    Thanked 347 Times in 259 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by zoso10 View Post
    Garry's Mod?
    Garry Newman confirmed the Mac version development.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

  20. #38
    iPhoneaholic adrian1480's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    436
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 55 Times in 38 Posts

    took long enough. someone wake me when Team Fortress 2 comes out to play.

  21. #39
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    233
    Thanks
    54
    Thanked 33 Times in 23 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by KartRacer View Post
    The MacBook Pros have pretty good GPUs because HL2/Ep1/Ep2 all run awesome at 1900x1200 on my 17 inch MPB in Windows 7. There is nothing that shows they are underpowered other than the dismal performance in OSX.

    The Source engine never was really hard on GPUs anyway. It still runs great, still looks great, and the character models are still really good. Even after six years. But there needs to be some SERIOUS work done on the graphics drivers because they really suck. Really suck. Every time I get to anywhere in any of the Half Life games that really tax the GPU it stutters very badly and the sound goes completely out. It's very frustrating because if I simply turn and look at a flat surface the FPS go way up and the sound comes back. Valve is moving in the right direction, and the games don't 'crash' per se. But the performance is just crap. The only way to fix it is Apple needs to man up and support their hardware like a vendor should. I doubt they will though, not in a timely manner anyway.

    And Valve has NOT been on cruise control since 2006!! Have you not played L4D, L4D2 or Team Fortress 2? I'd guess not if you think that Valve has sat on their asses and collected paychecks for the past 6 years. They've been busting hump making quite a few awesome games since Episode 2, have helped build an industry leading distribution system, and have come up with by far the best implementation of the evil that is DRM in any digital media outlet. That's not using cruise control at all.
    I'll rescind the "cruise control" part, maybe I'm being a bit too harsh. The Source engine is great because of its scalability - when it was launched it could tax the best GPU of its day (Radeon 9800 series) while still being able to be used on a Geforce MX card (with reduced options obviously).

    However that does not change my opinion that that business move was not born out of a sudden wish to bring gaming euphoria the the joyless mac gamers out there. This is just a new way for them to generate income on old software. Great or not, face it, these games are very old. Except for LFD2, which was still released over a year ago.

    As far MBP and their graphic prowess, no matter how you slice it, compared to other computers it just doesnt stack up. They actually never have in the entire history of Macbook Pro/Powerbook. The two macbook pro's I had had the best Gpu offered (X1600 and 8600M GT). The x1600 on used 256MB of DDR3 ram compared to 512MB which was the norm for that video card on laptops. Same story applied to the 8600M, w/ 512 DDR3, most computers in the above $1500 range used GPU's that were essentially 3 times faster than the 8600. Which was a rebadged 7600 to begin with. In addition to being underspecced, its also horribly underclocked.
    EVGA P55LE Mobo/Core [email protected]/Corsair H50
    8GB Corsair Donimator DDR3 1600/Radeon 5870
    2x 150 Raptors in Raid 0/2 TB Caviar for storage
    Denon AVR 590 Reciever
    46" Sony KDL-XBR9

  22. #40
    Developing Developer moon#pie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5,215
    Thanks
    781
    Thanked 372 Times in 307 Posts

    Now I'm just waiting for team fortress 2 to be released. Bought the orange box so I'll be downloading it as soon as it's released. Wednesday maybe?

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts